Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 01:55 PM

936 posts, read 2,080,319 times

Advertisements

My popcorn ceiling problem just got worse. I found out that have the hard plaster/stucco popcorn ceiling. I felt it and it is almost like the hardness of your stucco wall. Definitely not the soft stuff. I got three contractors to quote me on the cost of removal:

1st - $4500 - they will mud it with one thin layer, let it dry, mud it again with another layer. Then they sand and texture it with knock out. I was shocked with this quote so I got two other people to come.

2nd - $2700 - this guy will scrape it, he said it is hard but doable, and they mud it and sand if needed. He will add knockout texture afterward.

3rd - $3500 - this guy will put new drywall sheets over the popcorn ceiling, tape, mud and add orange peel finish.

I have no experience with this. Which solution do you think is the best?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 04:51 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
It is kind of impossible to evaluate three different approaches to changing out the ceiling that each have VERY different levels of material cost and skill level.

I would probably want a nice SMOOTH ceiling if I was going to pay a whole bunch of dough for it. I might want to think about doing things like adding recessed lighting and in-ceiling sound systems of Atmos home theater if I was going through the trouble of having NEW drywall installed...

It makes a whole lot of sense to get an idea for how good or bad the neighboring homes are. I would not want to spend boatloads of cash to find out it won't matter to most buyers shopping in your area...

Did ANY of these contractors come via referrals? What if they are ALL overpriced and underskilled?

Old 01-20-2016, 11:31 PM

59 posts, read 89,319 times
Second guy sounds like the best option. I am doing that now, actually. Option 1 seems kind of pointless because the mud might not stick well to uneven texture to begin with. Option 3 seems to add unnecessary weight in covering the issue up. Besides, option 2 is also the cheapest.

Old 01-21-2016, 05:24 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,796,708 times
We got the same options and bids and went with scraping, taping, sanding. Looks great.

Many did not like to do the scraping, so messy, and insisted that mudding over or putting up thin drywall was the better solution.

Talk to neighbors to find out what they did.

Old 01-21-2016, 06:34 AM

4,567 posts, read 10,652,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybirdie View Post
3rd - $3500 - this guy will put new drywall sheets over the popcorn ceiling, tape, mud and add orange peel finish
4th - Tear off old drywall, install new drywall would be the correct way.

Old 01-21-2016, 06:40 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,090,114 times
My 1920's house had damaged ceilings when I bought it. The contractor just installed new thinner drywall over the old stuff and it looks perfect. Then he added back or added new crown molding. It looks clean and (painted ceiling white) pristine. I think you should get different quotes just for this process since it may vary by quite a bit.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:37 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,912,049 times
I would strongly suggest that as of now do nothing. The only popcorn ceiling that was hard like stucco was the old ceiling product that was loaded with asbestos. If the house was built before 1970, I'd have it tested before any removal. The difference being the methodology of the removal and cleanup. Hopefully you don't have asbestos but the hardness is an indicator of the asbestos type.

If you have asbestos positive in the ceiling materials, do not cover it up with more drywall or allow it to be covered with anything until it has been completely removed or encapsulated. Removal is the ideal method. Frankly, if it is asbestos positive, remove the drywall and popcorn and replace the drywall. More than likely, the walls will also have asbestos in the texture but since we paint the walls, it's been encapsulated and no danger to your health.

Old 01-21-2016, 03:43 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Default What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I would strongly suggest that as of now do nothing. The only popcorn ceiling that was hard like stucco was the old ceiling product that was loaded with asbestos. If the house was built before 1970, I'd have it tested before any removal. The difference being the methodology of the removal and cleanup. Hopefully you don't have asbestos but the hardness is an indicator of the asbestos type.

If you have asbestos positive in the ceiling materials, do not cover it up with more drywall or allow it to be covered with anything until it has been completely removed or encapsulated. Removal is the ideal method. Frankly, if it is asbestos positive, remove the drywall and popcorn and replace the drywall. More than likely, the walls will also have asbestos in the texture but since we paint the walls, it's been encapsulated and no danger to your health.

Do you have source for the assertion that "hard" popcorn == asbestos??? That is a new one! The only way that is APPROVED is to send to a label where technicians use microscopes to identify the specific mineral -- https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owa...RDS&p_id=10005

Do you realize that "encapsulation" is BY EPA DEFINITION covering the material with PAINT/ sealant and then topping that with something like drywall??? http://yosemite.epa.gov/r5/r5ard.nsf...0!OpenDocument There is NO REASON to recommend removal!!! If the material really has any appreciable amount of Chrysotile fibers the LAST RESORT should be removal!! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chryso...cal_properties

There is STILL not a single case of anybody merely living in a home that has asbestos in any of the building materials ever successfully claiming that asbestos made them ill... Just OSHA hazardous workplaces -- https://www.osha.gov/Publications/OSHA3507.html

Old 01-21-2016, 04:14 PM

OK, I asked about the 4th option, which means removing the existing ceiling and put in new drywall ceiling. None of the contractors wanted to do this because of the insulation stuffs would have to be redone. Sawing off the ceiling is also difficult because the ceiling drywall is on top of the wall drywall so you have to saw it close to the edge and hope you don't hit electrical wires or damage the vertical walls. It would be an even bigger job. One guy sprayed water on the popcorn and after a while tried to show me that water didn't really soften this popcorn. He gave me the scraper and it is literally as hard as your stucco wall. I think the guy who wants to scrape this thing off doesn't have the experience.

I finally went with the option of putting a 3/8" thick board to cover it. Yes, $3500 is expensive but I went with it. He will also fix all the nail holes, remove all phone jacks and cover them. He promises that all walls and ceilings will be in perfect conditions for painting. Instead of hiring someone to paint, now I have to paint the house myself.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:05 PM

They put up the 1/2 in drywall boards today. Tape, mud and sand the next 2 days. 4 people, it will take 3-4 days.

Attached Thumbnails
Plaster/stucco popcorn ceiling removal - 3 contractors = 3 different solutions-2016-01-21-20.00.25.jpg   Plaster/stucco popcorn ceiling removal - 3 contractors = 3 different solutions-2016-01-21-19.59.52.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House