Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2023, 12:51 PM

274 posts, read 318,218 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I had an asbestos abatement company remove popcorn ceiling from a recently purchased home, and I'm planning out how to skim, texture and paint the ceiling from this point. I haven't done much drywall work of this scope so I'm considering whether to DIY or hire it out.

My main question is if I DIY this, is sanding really necessary between coats of joint compound I'd apply? The popcorn was removed and several layers of fiberlock were applied, but I'm still nervous about sanding the ceiling at all. Here and there you can see what seems to be tiny spots of some of the popcorn material still there under the clear fiberlock that was applied.

Wondering what I might end up with if I DIY this and either not sand at all, or very lightly sand it only after the final layer of compound is applied. Is there a texture or other technique I could use that would hide this less than smooth finish from lack of sanding?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2023, 01:08 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
First and foremost- I wouldn't worry about a small amount of asbestos. Those that have had complications from asbestos exposure had been exposed for years and years.

smooth finishing a ceiling is NOT a DIY job! You should definitely hire drywall finishers.

Without a long dissertation on the steps/procedures of drywall finishing, I'll say this...
The only coat that actually needs sanding is the last one! And there are finishes that don't require sanding- like "popcorn" finish (now you're probably wondering why you took it down in the first place). The other most common finish is "knock-down", along with what is most commonly referred to as "orange peel".

Old 03-06-2023, 01:22 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I have done this in our 3,000 sf house, and never sanded anything. After removal of the (non-asbestos) popcorn, I let it dry a few days, then sprayed texture with a compressor and hopper gun, doing a heavy orange peel that matches the walls. You can rent a compressor if you don't have one, and home stores sell the gun. Fun, but messy.

Old 03-06-2023, 01:46 PM

274 posts, read 318,218 times
I should have probably clarified I'm not going for a smooth finish. Orange peel would be the plan, for the ceiling and the walls to match. My plan for DIY would be this:

- Apply a few layers of joint compound to skim coat (would like to avoid sanding ceiling)
- Spray an orange peel texture (I do have a compressor already and would get the gun)
- Paint

We're replacing the carpet, trim, windows, everything in the 3 bedrooms and hallway I'd be doing this in, so I'd tape everything off but not worried about the mess too much.

Am I reading your advice correctly that I don't need to sand if I'm going to spray the orange peel texture anyway?

Old 03-06-2023, 04:09 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blockzilla View Post
Am I reading your advice correctly that I don't need to sand if I'm going to spray the orange peel texture anyway?

No. It literally depends on how well you can apply the skim coat!

Old 03-08-2023, 09:42 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blockzilla View Post
I should have probably clarified I'm not going for a smooth finish. Orange peel would be the plan, for the ceiling and the walls to match. My plan for DIY would be this:

- Apply a few layers of joint compound to skim coat (would like to avoid sanding ceiling)
- Spray an orange peel texture (I do have a compressor already and would get the gun)
- Paint

We're replacing the carpet, trim, windows, everything in the 3 bedrooms and hallway I'd be doing this in, so I'd tape everything off but not worried about the mess too much.

There may be places where you dug in while scraping that need touching up, and the taped joints may need another layer to smooth them out since the original workers knew it would be popcorn so left it less finished. Otherwise no, the texture will stick to the drywall after the popcorn is removed. A lighter orange peel requires a smoother surface under it than a heavier coating like I have been using.

Old 03-08-2023, 04:54 PM

2,021 posts, read 1,650,286 times
Use a sponge and water to smooth out rough spots between coats. Since the last coat will be a texture you don't need to be perfect and with the sponge you won't be making dust.

Old 03-08-2023, 05:41 PM

2,478 posts, read 1,545,581 times
I used to tape professionally, but was never involved in using spray textures. It’s hard to say what kind of job you have without seeing it. If you have chunks missing or blisters under the rock, or nail pops, etc., you should tape those areas, coat them, and then sand out any ridges. I used trowels rather than knives for anything wider than 6”. We would add some water to the compound and whip it with a “potato masher.”

I’ve coated walls that had wallpaper removed and left digs everywhere. They look like new Sheetrock, smooth. But it took me multiple coats to get it smooth. With a texture finish that might not be necessary; it depends on the condition of your ceiling.

One final note: Use a pole sander with medium light grit. Don’t over sand. Don’t rough up the rock paper. If it is coated well very little sanding will be necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House