Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 05:46 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,424,686 times

Advertisements

Hi, I purchased a newer home and doesn't have a central air unit pre-installed. I have been doing some calling around locally and check some reviews on the internet recently. I have decided that either the Bryant or Goodman central air unit would be a good fit.

Does anyone have their personal experiences with either unit, good or bad? My neighbor has the Goodman 2.5 ton system in his 14,500 square footage home, he states it's quiet, and keeps his home cool, but this is one family and would like to reach out to the forum for input from other people and professionals in the field . Price on both are very close, Bryant is approximately $100.00 more funds.

Thanks in advance.

vette-dude..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 09:30 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Goodman is "supposedly" lower quality in the AC and heat pump market. We have one and it hasn't given a lick of trouble so far. (touch wood)

Old 06-02-2009, 10:01 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,495,684 times
I can't speak for Goodman I've never had one. I did have a house with a Bryant unit and was happy with it, it bit the dust at sixteen yrs. old. If I buy new I always go with a Rheem unit, second choice a Carrier unit. I have always had great serice with Rheem units. The life of any unit though is keeping it properly serviced.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:02 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,681,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vette-dude View Post
Hi, I purchased a newer home and doesn't have a central air unit pre-installed. I have been doing some calling around locally and check some reviews on the internet recently. I have decided that either the Bryant or Goodman central air unit would be a good fit.

Does anyone have their personal experiences with either unit, good or bad? My neighbor has the Goodman 2.5 ton system in his 14,500 square footage home, he states it's quiet, and keeps his home cool, but this is one family and would like to reach out to the forum for input from other people and professionals in the field . Price on both are very close, Bryant is approximately $100.00 more funds.

Thanks in advance.

vette-dude..
I just had a 2.5 ton Payne central air unit installed on a rental house. Payne is the "generic" version of Carrier, but carries the exact same warranty and - according to the salesman - has all the same guts. 13 seer unit.

10 year parts, 2 year labor. $2,150 + tax.

The salesman guy I talked to said that the Goodmans aren't really the best units. Of course, he's apt to say that since it isn't the brand he sells and installs. So take it with a grain of salt...

Old 06-03-2009, 10:17 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Either or. I've used and had both and both, when installed correctly, do what they say they'll do. You might want to go to ARI when you get model numbers and check out it's ratings. One may have slightly higher or lower capacities than the other. If you get model numbers for Goodman I can show you performance charts. The Bryant isn't as easy to get a hold of but if you contact your dealer he can probably supply you with performance charts.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:21 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I just had a 2.5 ton Payne central air unit installed on a rental house. Payne is the "generic" version of Carrier, but carries the exact same warranty and - according to the salesman - has all the same guts. 13 seer unit.

10 year parts, 2 year labor. $2,150 + tax.

The salesman guy I talked to said that the Goodmans aren't really the best units. Of course, he's apt to say that since it isn't the brand he sells and installs. So take it with a grain of salt...
Goodman-Amana
Carrier- Payne

Both are considered the "cheaper" versions. The main difference is the number of safeties although most system come with more than enough. I like the Goodmans for severe use because they are torture tested for environments like apartment complexes because of the lacking knowledge in that industry. They pass and in fact most run when they really shouldn't although I've seen a newer system die, but it's not suicide it's oily acidic murder.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:32 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,879,299 times
I'd go with Lenox,Rudd, Rheem or Carrier. I've been in the HVAC business for 35 years and to my experience, these are the most reliable units out there. Between the two you mention, I'd go with the Bryant.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:20 PM

385 posts, read 1,260,988 times
here's a good site to check out the price of the parts. AirConditioner.com powered by Genie Air Conditioning and Heating Inc. is the largest distributor of window & wall Air Conditioner units in the U.S. They've got a 2.5 ton Fedder's for $688.00.
I live in a 15 year old condo complex. 90% are still original. They are using Goodman's as replacemnets but I've heard they are lower cost. Also using AMerican Standard. My Carrier was my favorite. The Rheem's blower lasted 1 Summer in Phoenix.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:50 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
i'd go with lenox,rudd, rheem or carrier. I've been in the hvac business for 35 years and to my experience, these are the most reliable units out there. Between the two you mention, i'd go with the bryant.

+1

Old 06-03-2009, 07:21 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
You didn't ask but it's probably worthwhile getting one with a high enough efficiency (SEER or EER) so you get the tax rebate this year. The contractors should know all about this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House