Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2010, 06:17 PM

7 posts, read 13,792 times

Advertisements

Hey all, we are planning on getting a new heating and central a/c setup installed at our 1100 sqft house soon, and I had a question regarding the location of the condenser. We've had some people suggest placing it on the roof on the rear side as well as placing it on the side of our house near the driveway/kitchen. Personally I'd rather not place a giant condenser on our roof (even though it's not visible from the street) but at the same time, space is limited on both sides of our house so it's a tough call on the front as well.

So...has anyone here gotten a A/C condenser setup on their roofs and do you have any pro's or con's about doing that?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 06:21 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
On the roof? Sounds ugly. HOA OK with that?

If possible, put it out of the way of near people will be sleeping or enjoying the backyard patio. You don't want to be sitting on yout patio and getting drowned out by a loud A/C.

Also couldn't hurt to place it in a shady place. The roof, in addition to being an ugly place, will be a hot place.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:42 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
I had a new unit installed at a rental house last summer. The house is a little bigger than yours, but I'm sure it'd be the same size unit.

Put the unit on the side or back of the house, not the roof. Modern condensers aren't very big, nor are they loud.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:14 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
While they are quiter they are not totally quite as a roof when outside a room like a bedroom. If possible located it next to a day used room if outside.Its ceertainly better to be loacted out fo the hoit summer sun in the evening and outside makes it easier to srvice and clean the coils with a hose when needed that will make it last longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House