Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 05:38 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,137,788 times

Advertisements

Had a quote for central air and one installer was recommending one unit for both floors of my house. I have mixed feelings about this, concerned each floor should get their own unit. So what are your thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 06:07 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,833,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
Had a quote for central air and one installer was recommending one unit for both floors of my house. I have mixed feelings about this, concerned each floor should get their own unit. So what are your thoughts on this?

Depending on the sq ft of your house you don't necessarily need 2 units.My last house was a 1600 sq ft Cape with 1 unit and it was fine. If you go with 1 unit I would do 2 zones because the 2nd floor is always going to be hotter than the 1st floor. The ideal set up would be 2 units so you can balance each floor,1 unit would be working much more during the heat of the summer on a larger house.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
Depending on the sq ft of your house you don't necessarily need 2 units.My last house was a 1600 sq ft Cape with 1 unit and it was fine. If you go with 1 unit I would do 2 zones because the 2nd floor is always going to be hotter than the 1st floor. The ideal set up would be 2 units so you can balance each floor,1 unit would be working much more during the heat of the summer on a larger house.
We did ask about 2 zones with one unit, but for some reason it seemed like it was not able to be done? Can you definitely have 2 zones with just one unit?

Overall, so you do agree that 2 units would be the ideal setup?

Old 10-19-2010, 06:53 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,125,518 times
We have one unit in a 3200 sf 1 1/2 stories cape with walk-out basement....works great! We keep our ceiling fans on upstairs to circulate air...our house is usually just about perfect temperature wise.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
We have one unit in a 3200 sf 1 1/2 stories cape with walk-out basement....works great! We keep our ceiling fans on upstairs to circulate air...our house is usually just about perfect temperature wise.
Do you have one zone or two?

Old 10-19-2010, 07:56 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,852,951 times
Default Costs vs comfort...

It is more than twice as expensive to retrofit two units vs one. Typically the operational costs of the second floor unit are also higher in a retrofit because the runs ro/ from the unit are going to be either vey long or pass through uncooled space like the attic.

If you can have various proposals for "active dampers" you can have dual zones, but because of the resistance placed on the blower you need a system built to handle that, again more money.

Personally I have lived in homes that were reasonably comfortable with One system feeding two floors plus the basement. Key is upgrading the insulation and ventilation of the attic as well as hiring a professional firm that will properly size the unit based on actual cooling load data obtained in a blower door energy audit. Folks that guestimate rarely get it right...

Old 10-19-2010, 08:11 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,833,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
We did ask about 2 zones with one unit, but for some reason it seemed like it was not able to be done? Can you definitely have 2 zones with just one unit?

Overall, so you do agree that 2 units would be the ideal setup?

Not sure on your particular system but yes you can have 2 zones with 1 unit by using automated zone dampers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damper_(flow)

2 units are the ideal set up but again it all depends on the size of your home,insulation,windows,shade,sun exposure...etc . Get a couple of quotes from experienced HVAC contractors,they should be able to design a system that's best for your home.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:16 PM

1,955 posts, read 11,017,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Key is upgrading the insulation and ventilation of the attic as well as hiring a professional firm that will properly size the unit based on actual cooling load data obtained in a blower door energy audit. Folks that guestimate rarely get it right...
This. Properly sized and adjusted, a single unit will perform just fine.

Improperly done, and that's when you get the massive temperature fluctuations, not just from floor to floor but even from room to room.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:23 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,424,681 times
Our house had one unit for both floors. Upstairs was two bedrooms and a bath. MY daughter had one of the bedrooms, and was not bothered by the temperature difference. If we set the thermostat to cool the first floor, it was still too warm upstairs. If we were comfortable with heat downstairs, she was too hot in her room.

When she was about 15, it was a bigger deal. We decided to add a second system for the second floor. The way the ducts were run, it was fairly easy to split the house into two systems. I'm sorry we waited so long to make the change.

A zoned system is the way to go if you want to stay with one system. Otherwise, I would go with two systems. Now that my daughter has moved out, we don;'t have to run the upstairs system much at all, so we use less energy.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:47 AM
QIS

919 posts, read 5,177,906 times
Hi Glad,
The concept you want to consider is this: moving air is being used to control the system and therefore your indoor air temperature. Proper communication of the air going in and out is essential!
One system, adequately sized is sufficient if:
1) You have a thermostat at a common area( such as a hall) on each level.
2) You have an adequately sized return air inlet with a filter NEAR a thermostat at a common area( such as a hall) on each level.
3) The duct baffling system is readily accessible in case service is required.

That is a basic level/floor controlled system and they work well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House