Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 10:58 AM
gxm gxm started this thread

18 posts, read 82,091 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am purchasing a new home in a few months and can't decide if I wanna put the TV on the wall or not. The fireplace is in the corner and the hole above it is not wide or deep enough. considering the room shape the only logical place to mount it would be on the big wall beside the fireplace. As of right now there is no outlet up high to plug the tv in only down low and to the left of the tv. I'm guessing that I will have to put componets like dvr, and home theater system on a stand to the left of the tv.

It just seems like wall mounted tv's look great but are a hassle and you still have to buy a stand for your componets. Thinking of scrapping the whole idea of wall mounting(although I do really want it). I'm considering a 46" tv for the space. What solutions have you guys come up with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 11:58 AM

314 posts, read 1,136,771 times
I'm trying to figure out what to do as well. My wife wants to mount the TV above the fireplace, but doesn't want any wires showing, which means tearing through the wall. I'm not sure I want to deal with the hassle and I'm thinking of scrapping the wall mounting idea.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:12 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,622,608 times
I have mine on a stand and prefer it that way even though I wouldn't mind the wires being hidden. Our kitchen is right next to the den so if we want to watch TV while we eat we can turn the screen towards us. If it was wall mounted we wouldn't have as good a view.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:30 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,705,144 times
The wall mounts look nice, but we went for a stand instead (52") - TV on top, components (DVD, Cable Box, Surround amplifier) on the bottom. The stand does the double duty of hiding the wires as well.

If you want to do the wall mount, the easiest way would be to have a setup where you run all of your components through one central component (like an amplifier) which means that you would only need to run a single HDMI cable from the amp to the TV - in which case, instead of just running wires directly through holes in the wall, you could instead opt to put an HDMI input jack in the wall behind the components and an HDMI output jack behind the TV mount, run a short HDMI cable into the TV and - viola - no wires hanging down the wall running to the components.

As to the outlet - if you don't want the power cord hanging down - have an electrician come in and put and outlet behind the TV mount as well.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:50 PM

1,241 posts, read 2,322,771 times
You might want to try a tv stand with a built in LCD mount. Follow the link below for an example. You can hide the cables behind the part where you mount the TV while still having the TV higher than it would be if it were just sitting on the tv stand.

Walmart.com: OmniMount 50" Video Table with Flat Panel Stand, Espresso: TVs (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10843657 - broken link)

Old 05-12-2009, 01:56 PM

393 posts, read 1,188,353 times
When we built, I wanted to get my LR designed for wall mounting and what not, but technology changes and I didn't want to commit to having my TV in only one place forever, so...

Here's what I did...

Wall mounted my 52" Samsung LCD using a low profile bracket from monoprice.com: HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

Picked up this one for $19: For only $16.07 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Low Profile Wall Mount Bracket for LCD Plasma (Max 165Lbs, 37~63inch) - BLACK | LCD Plasma Bracket - Low Profile Type

Picked up some Cat 2 HDMI cables too for $3 each for the TV and Blu-Ray: For only $3.56 each when QTY 50+ purchased - High Speed HDMI 1.3a Category 2 Certified Cable 28AWG - 10ft w/Ferrite Cores (Gold Plated Connectors) - BLACK | 28AWG HDMI 1.3a Category 2 Certified Male to Male Cables

Went to Home Depot and picked up a Wiremold to hide the wires from the TV to the Directv Box and Power outlet. $15 I believe: Wiremold - Flat Screen TV Cord Cover
Painted it to match the wall.

Put my Directv Box, HT, and BR on the bottom shelf of the sofa table we use for an entertainment center below the TV

LOOKS AWESOME. Very professional and neat. Cost next to nothing.

Another point...when you get talk with the data guy working on your house, have them runat least 2 CAT6 to where your TV will be and at least 2 coax outlets. This allows for what the future holds...

Old 05-12-2009, 02:25 PM

Wow, $4 for a HDMI cable. Are these the same quality as the very expensive HDMI cable sold at most retail stores? I shudder when I see HDMI cables costing $40 and up. I can see 2 cat6 cables but 2 coax? I wonder how much extra that would cost. I will be sitting down with the cable installer hopefully in the next couple of weeks for my new home. I was thinking of just doing one Cat6 and one Coax. I figured a quick hub or splitter could be used in the future, if ever needed.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:29 PM

129 posts, read 404,269 times
I still use my 13 inch black and white TV.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:37 PM

393 posts, read 1,188,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
Wow, $4 for a HDMI cable. Are these the same quality as the very expensive HDMI cable sold at most retail stores? I shudder when I see HDMI cables costing $40 and up.
Yes, they are equal to or better than what you pay $40 at WorstBuy. Monoprice cables are what PC Mag or G4 (one of them...) uses when testing stuff. I was skeptical too, but I highly recommend their stuff. I'm mad I paid $30 a while back for one at Walmart that isn't even half as solidly built as monoprice stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
I can see 2 cat6 cables but 2 coax? I wonder how much extra that would cost. I will be sitting down with the cable installer hopefully in the next couple of weeks for my new home. I was thinking of just doing one Cat6 and one Coax. I figured a quick hub or splitter could be used in the future, if ever needed.
We got like 6 runs for free, after that it was $75 each.
I'm glad I did what I did. In my LR, I run one coax for Directv, one for OTA antenna, one CAT6 for the Blu-Ray and one for Directv on Demand. If you have a crawl space and a central wiring closet, you can easily run more yourself.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:08 PM

Going along with cabling. Has anyone ever used an HDMI switch? Is there any degredation in video quality in movies or sports?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House