Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 06:54 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,554,006 times

Advertisements

Make sure its locked, cause chances are high that it will get stolen anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 06:00 AM
gxm gxm started this thread

18 posts, read 82,118 times
Hi all,

Everyone's suggestions have been very helpful. I am suppose to be speaking with an electronics expert that works with the builder to discuss the best options with my floorplan etc... I will let you know what we come up with.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:25 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,405,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
Make sure its locked, cause chances are high that it will get stolen anyway.
Thanks for that PSA, Mike. I have no idea what you're talking about, but I'll make sure that "it's" locked up.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:37 AM

157 posts, read 791,160 times
I have my 47inch LCD mounted above my fireplace. Had my builder put a power outlet behind the tv, and add some additional studs behind the tv (behind the drywall obviously) to strengthen the wall to hold the TV. Also ran 1 HDMI cable, and 1 coax cable behind the tv. The HDMI cable goes to a closet, where all of my components are hidden out of view (Denon receiver, Sondy DVD, Direct TV box, Apple TV). I control these components that are out of view with a Harmony 1000 via RF, and control the TV with the same remote via infrared. My wife especially loves the clean look, of just having the TV visible, with no other components.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:45 AM

285 posts, read 800,957 times
We have ours above the fireplace, and it is nice,

However, you do have to look up for viewing and I would have preferred a straight on view

Old 05-13-2009, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_fx_35 View Post
I have my 47inch LCD mounted above my fireplace. Had my builder put a power outlet behind the tv, and add some additional studs behind the tv (behind the drywall obviously) to strengthen the wall to hold the TV. Also ran 1 HDMI cable, and 1 coax cable behind the tv. The HDMI cable goes to a closet, where all of my components are hidden out of view (Denon receiver, Sondy DVD, Direct TV box, Apple TV). I control these components that are out of view with a Harmony 1000 via RF, and control the TV with the same remote via infrared. My wife especially loves the clean look, of just having the TV visible, with no other components.
I think that's the way that most builders are doing it, now, yes. That's certainly how I would want it setup - with a closet housing all the cable/dvd/etc boxes.

How does that RF remote work, black_fx?

Old 05-13-2009, 07:13 AM

157 posts, read 791,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post

How does that RF remote work, black_fx?

Works GREAT. I highly recommend a universal remote (Harmony makes a great/easy product). Regardless if you go the RF vs. IR route, the Universal makes a huge difference. All my wife needs to do is press "watch TV" and voila, the TV turns on, Direct TV box turns on, Receiver turns on, and turns to TV input.

I replaced 5 remotes with just one, and it is activity based "watch TV", "Watch DVD", Watch Apple TV", "Listen to music" etc.....sooooo simple to use. Any guest that comes to my house can figure out how to "watch tv", just press one button.

I couldn't live without it!

Old 05-13-2009, 07:26 AM

Thanks!

Old 05-13-2009, 01:41 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,218,952 times
One of the worst "trends" that I have seen are TVs above a fireplace. A decade from now, they will be having home shows where these nooks are being covered up for something else.

HDMI cables are all the same. The signal is digital so it either works or doesn't. Don't spend more than 10 bucks for one and certainly don't buy one of the monster brand cables found in the bubble plastic in local stores. They are a complete 100% ripoff.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:03 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,709,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
Wow, $4 for a HDMI cable. Are these the same quality as the very expensive HDMI cable sold at most retail stores? I shudder when I see HDMI cables costing $40 and up.
Yes - the HDMI cables they try to sell you at the box stores (some for over $100) are nothing more than a massively over-priced ripoff. And alot of people are wasting a lot of money on these.

Now - back in the day, when you hooked up your VCR or DVD player to the TV with those two or three cables - that was to transmit an analog signal from point A to point B. So in those cases, yes - the quality of the cables mattered; those big, thick, expensive Monster cables gave you a better picture because they could carry the analog signals further with less of a loss in signal strength than the thinner, cheaper cables you could by for $5 or $10.

With HDMI, you're digital, not analog, which means the DVD player sends out a bunch of 0s and 1s, and then the TV translates those into the picture - as long as the TV gets all those 0s and 1s the picture quality is solely dependent upon the quality of your TV - there is no potential for degredation of signal strength between the input and output like there are with analog signals.

Short answer - don't spend a ton of $$$ on expensive HDMI cables - you can find plenty on-line for under $10 each and the quality of your picture and sound will be equally as good as it would be if you were using the ones Best Buy will try and sell you for $50, $75 or more.

I would think that would apply to an HDMI switch or splitter that someone mentioned. Again, you're not degrading a digital signal by splitting it like you would be with analog so, again, I don't see where it would make a difference (although I've never used one myself).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House