Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 04:29 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,424,279 times

Advertisements

When I hear "update" I think someone has been watching too much "House Hunters." For that matter, everyone I know that ever bought a house didn't have a plugged nickel left over for "updating," if they even had money for furniture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 02:53 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,894,101 times
Not everyone who spends money to upgrade their homes does it because they watch too much HGTV..! Some people like to have nice things..! Everyone has their own idea on how to spend their money.
Many spent a fortune on golf, hunting, fishing, racing.... jewelry, you name it, everyone is different.
I prefer to live in a show piece. I spend a lot time and money to keep my home looking beautiful and perfect at all times. My home is custom built, and only five years old, but I am currently spending about $100 K, redoing the landscaping in the back yard, remodeling the kitchen, and replacing the floors. The home is only a few years old, everything is still perfect, but I want upscale. Why not..? I love living in a beautiful home, I can afford it, there is no reason not to live in style. If I don't spend it and enjoy it, my daughter will enjoy it for me when I'm gone. I plan to leave her plenty, but she doesn't need it all...! I sacrificed and slaved many years to be able to afford to live well.
So there is nothing wrong with those who wish to spend their money to make their home all that it can be, and I also understand those who are raising kids, have a busy schedule, and not a lot of extra cash laying around. Their lifestyle will be different, but if they watch their money as closely as I have, their time will come..

Old 03-26-2009, 05:20 PM

24,496 posts, read 26,042,042 times
How's about "popcorn" ceilings?

Old 03-26-2009, 08:48 PM

625 posts, read 1,883,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
I prefer to live in a show piece. I spend a lot time and money to keep my home looking beautiful and perfect at all times. My home is custom built, and only five years old, but I am currently spending about $100 K, redoing the landscaping in the back yard, remodeling the kitchen, and replacing the floors. The home is only a few years old, everything is still perfect, but I want upscale. Why not..? I love living in a beautiful home, I can afford it, there is no reason not to live in style.

I sure hope your carpenter is careful taking things apart. Then, please take your nice floors (if wood), light fixtures, appliances, and anything else to your local ReStore so someone else can enjoy them. Most larger towns have a ReStore or something similar. Any leftovers from construction are also more than welcome....extra tiles or floorboards, leftover paint, etc.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:00 AM

3,191 posts, read 9,188,182 times
3-Oaks- excellent advice! That is one thing that drives me bonkers watching those remodel shows! They take sledgehammers to otherwise usable items & throw it in dumpsters. Not a good thing when there are folks out there that could reuse a lot of things. We were careful doing a bath remodel and had some folks pleased as punch with our carefully removed 'discards'!

Old 03-27-2009, 09:13 AM

41,990 posts, read 75,279,142 times
I think "outdated" just means "I don't like it."

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
That is one thing that drives me bonkers watching those remodel shows! They take sledgehammers to otherwise usable items & throw it in dumpsters. Not a good thing when there are folks out there that could reuse a lot of things.
Agreed. What a waste to dispose of perfectly useable items.

If nothing else you can stick the stuff out in your front yard with a "free" sign on it. Someone will pick it up before noon. It never fails.

I dunno ... If I had so much money burning a hole in my pocket that I was remodeling my house every five years, I'd set up my own foundation and give some of that money away to people who really need it.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:14 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,274,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Not everyone who spends money to upgrade their homes does it because they watch too much HGTV..! Some people like to have nice things..! Everyone has their own idea on how to spend their money.
Many spent a fortune on golf, hunting, fishing, racing.... jewelry, you name it, everyone is different.
I prefer to live in a show piece. I spend a lot time and money to keep my home looking beautiful and perfect at all times. My home is custom built, and only five years old, but I am currently spending about $100 K, redoing the landscaping in the back yard, remodeling the kitchen, and replacing the floors. The home is only a few years old, everything is still perfect, but I want upscale. Why not..? I love living in a beautiful home, I can afford it, there is no reason not to live in style. If I don't spend it and enjoy it, my daughter will enjoy it for me when I'm gone. I plan to leave her plenty, but she doesn't need it all...! I sacrificed and slaved many years to be able to afford to live well.
So there is nothing wrong with those who wish to spend their money to make their home all that it can be, and I also understand those who are raising kids, have a busy schedule, and not a lot of extra cash laying around. Their lifestyle will be different, but if they watch their money as closely as I have, their time will come..
True! I like my home and surroundings to be quite nice too. Others
just dont have that as a priority. When my kids were smaller, it wasnt
in the forefront,and we didnt spend as much on houses.
Now we can.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:30 AM

814 posts, read 2,308,396 times
what's outdated to one is vintage to another. it's just a matter of taste. some people like tile floors, for example. some people love carpet.

i wouldn't mind if my whole house was linoleum as it's easy to clean. lol

Old 03-27-2009, 02:54 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,894,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-Oaks View Post
I sure hope your carpenter is careful taking things apart. Then, please take your nice floors (if wood), light fixtures, appliances, and anything else to your local ReStore so someone else can enjoy them. Most larger towns have a ReStore or something similar. Any leftovers from construction are also more than welcome....extra tiles or floorboards, leftover paint, etc.
We are on the same page, we try to be as green as possible. I just replaced two builder installed toilets with ones that actually work. The old ones were only a few years old, and like new. They went to Habitat for Humanity" We believe in reusing and recycling as much as we can. All of our lighting fixtures were taken to goodwill..
Now our two main bathrooms have Toto Eco-drake toilets, and we threw away the plungers...

Old 03-29-2009, 11:59 PM

83 posts, read 259,574 times
LOL. You have a point..

Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
Can't tell you what it means but I can tell you who does it. The same people who tell women they need new style clothes every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House