Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 07:35 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times

Advertisements

Outdated usually means it isn't in style. Big deal. If you aren't planning on selling I wouldn't worry about it. If it all works and you like it keep it. It's your house. On the other hand if you are trying to sell your house I would "freshen" it up and price it right. The market is tough right now in many places.

I never believe in the fads because even a fad goes out of style. I am amazed at the money that people have spent on updating kitchens and baths when that will all be outdated in 5 or 10 years. It's just a loss of money and I am a buyer who would never pay for someone else's updates. It seems really dumb to me.

Anyway if you like it then who cares what anyone else thinks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 10:01 AM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,140,374 times
Outdated is used by anyone with different design sensibilities than you.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:54 AM

314 posts, read 1,182,234 times
"Outdated" means HGTV wants you to get rid of it and buy something new and expensive from one of their sponsors.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:13 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,723,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debb J View Post
"Outdated" means HGTV wants you to get rid of it and buy something new and expensive from one of their sponsors.

Bah! I was going to say that.

Anything not currently in vogue on Home and Garden TV is outdated.

And like clothing fashions, as soon as everybody has the latest craze it must be devalued for the new craze, so everybody will have to buy another one to be in fashion.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:01 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,394,522 times
I have to disagree a little, with the idea that "outdated just means someone wants you to buy something". To me, it means functionality, maintenance and performance is improved. Not just the appearance. Think of single pane windows, substandard insulation, non-energy efficient appliances, non-self cleaning ovens, etc. And who doesn't like something brand new once in awhile!

Old 03-23-2009, 08:10 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,575,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debb J View Post

Funny, i was thinking it and you wrote it!!

Old 03-23-2009, 10:55 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,924,573 times
Would you consider a 1950's "O'keefe and Merritt" stove as being "Outdated"?...not today as it's a collectors dream in Remodeling.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:04 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,655,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
I have to disagree a little, with the idea that "outdated just means someone wants you to buy something". To me, it means functionality, maintenance and performance is improved. Not just the appearance. Think of single pane windows, substandard insulation, non-energy efficient appliances, non-self cleaning ovens, etc. And who doesn't like something brand new once in awhile!
My Grandmother's home had the old-fashioned hot water radiators in each room for heat.

One Realtor said she would not get top dollar because of the out-dated heating system.

The buyer bought it because of the hot water radiators in part. He wanted to live an eco friendly off-grid lifestyle and the hot water radiator heating is easily adaptable to solar and alternative heat sources.

She also had a beautiful gleaming Wedgwood Stove that was half electric and half wood. All winter she used the wood side and it had a coil cabinet in the back to exchange heat into the home heating...

Very out-dated and yet very practical.

Most of the neighbors had long since converted to forced-air gas furnaces... she always called these noisy dust blowers

Old 03-23-2009, 01:11 PM

314 posts, read 1,182,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
I don't disagree with you at all! My statement above was a slap to the advertisers and anyone who has bought into the idea that "updating" is always the best thing to do. In fact, until we felt "beat down" by HGTV, a real estate agent and sales people in home improvement showrooms, your quote above was what I took into consideration for deeming something "outdated".

But...two years ago my husband and I decided to list our house for sale. It happens to be Victorian and is decorated in that period. Our kitchen looked as though you had stepped back in time and people always commented on the warm feeling it had. (Had!)

We watched HGTV and toured kitchen and bath showrooms for ideas on how we could improve the appearance of our home. HGTV really pushed stainless appliances, granite counters and walls neutralized in "beige or sage" to "appeal to the masses". All the showrooms we toured were pushing these items and materials. Our realtor agreed. Everywhere we turned, we were led to believe our home would be thought of as "inferior" without these changes.

In all episodes we watched on HGTV showing houses for sale, none of the prospective buyers appeared too happy to accept a kitchen without the "updated stainless" and granite. *Never* did I hear one potential buyer ask about the "functionality" of the appliances if they weren't stainless. All that came out of their mouths were grumbles about having to "update to stainless". Grumbles about granite weren't quite so loud.

My husband caved and we "updated to stainless". I REGRET THIS EVERY DAY! Lots of the charm of our kitchen is gone and our old appliances worked beautifully! But...we were led to believe our home just wouldn't be worth a dime if we didn't follow the masses. Regret, regret, regret!!!

Old 03-23-2009, 04:39 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
My Grandmother's home had the old-fashioned hot water radiators in each room for heat.

One Realtor said she would not get top dollar because of the out-dated heating system.

The buyer bought it because of the hot water radiators in part. He wanted to live an eco friendly off-grid lifestyle and the hot water radiator heating is easily adaptable to solar and alternative heat sources.

She also had a beautiful gleaming Wedgwood Stove that was half electric and half wood. All winter she used the wood side and it had a coil cabinet in the back to exchange heat into the home heating...

Very out-dated and yet very practical.

Most of the neighbors had long since converted to forced-air gas furnaces... she always called these noisy dust blowers
Funny;

The "outdated" cast iron radiators are more effieinct than the newer copper baseboard radiators. Since you are buying nothing new, they are also more eco-friendly.

I prefer majorly "outdated" things in my house. We have single pane glass. We use storm windows. When properly installed they are nearly as efficient as double pane windows look much nicer and are easily repaired. thso gas charged double panes do not usually last too long before they leak and need to be replaced.

OUr giant 1930 pedastyle kitchen sink si far more useful and prettier than most "updated kitchen sinks.

We also have a 1927 Magic Chef stove. Although it needs to be updated itself for safety reasons, I woudl not trade it ofr nay modern stive. It has 2 ovens, a warming oven, two drawers, six burners and is Ohh and ahh beautiful (or will be when I am done with it). Where else can you get that?

Our 1920s fridge is small, but really neat looking and it works just fine. It weighs a ton because the old style of insulation is heavy, but we did nto see a signficiant differnece in our electric bill when we put it into use in place of our "modern" fridge.

One thing about older items is that they seem to last much longer. take out 1920s fridge - 80 years old and stll working. I have yet to get much more than 8 years out of a modern fridge.

I will admit I do nto like the old fashioned dishwashers (me) nor the old wringer washing machines. We go modern there. We also go modern when it comes to some safety issues. (Some safety issues are absurd results of our excessively litigious society.)

actually forced air heating systems are less efficient, less healthy and less comfortable than the older radient systems. However they are also a lot less expensive as well. the forced air system is also more suitable to mass production techniques used in houses now.

Some items are labeled "outdated" becuase the newer versions are more cost effective for the manufaccturere, not becuase they are actually better.

I always laugh when I hear that term. Whatever is being touted to replace "outdated" will itself be outdated in a year or two. What is the point. Why not start outdated and save the money?

Stainless steel appliances are a perfect example. A few years ago everyone had to have them. Now they are generally hated becuase they are impossible to keep shiney clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House