Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 07:21 PM

3,074 posts, read 8,031,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Would you consider a 1950's "O'keefe and Merritt" stove as being "Outdated"?...not today as it's a collectors dream in Remodeling.
Truly, a stove to die for!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 10:16 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,188,634 times
one man's 'trash' is another man's treasure
And beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

there's ya some outdated proverbs LOL

Old 03-23-2009, 10:46 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,406,877 times
Now I have to admit, and agree, that true vintage items that are in good working order in a home where they "belong" is a horse of a different color, indeed. There are even modern ranges that look just like the old wood burning types. I considered one at one time when I owned a victorian home in Missouri. Just really pricey, though.

I do remember growing up in an old farm house where we only heated with wood, except for a little gas wall heater in the bathroom and one bedroom. A new Warm Mornings stove to replace the little pot belly cast iron one was a big deal; I remember when we got it. No insulation in the walls; a glass of water would freeze solid in the winter in the upstairs bedrooms (thank God for electric blankets). Storm windows? That was putting plastic reinforced with string over all those huge windows in the Fall because we were lucky to be able to afford the plastic let alone real storm windows. Carpeting those wood floors was a luxury that you yearned for in those days. Replacing the metal Sears freestanding kitchen cabinets with built in cabinets and a nice formica top was also top notch. I have never complained about a utilitity bill for central heat or air in my life since those days.

Guess some of this is all relevant to where you came from and what you lived with "back in the day".

However an avocado fridge that's 30 years old doesn't move me as much as some things do like those vintage radiators!

Old 03-24-2009, 03:55 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,880,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
Now I have to admit, and agree, that true vintage items that are in good working order in a home where they "belong" is a horse of a different color, indeed. There are even modern ranges that look just like the old wood burning types. I considered one at one time when I owned a victorian home in Missouri. Just really pricey, though.

I do remember growing up in an old farm house where we only heated with wood, except for a little gas wall heater in the bathroom and one bedroom. A new Warm Mornings stove to replace the little pot belly cast iron one was a big deal; I remember when we got it. No insulation in the walls; a glass of water would freeze solid in the winter in the upstairs bedrooms (thank God for electric blankets). Storm windows? That was putting plastic reinforced with string over all those huge windows in the Fall because we were lucky to be able to afford the plastic let alone real storm windows. Carpeting those wood floors was a luxury that you yearned for in those days. Replacing the metal Sears freestanding kitchen cabinets with built in cabinets and a nice formica top was also top notch. I have never complained about a utilitity bill for central heat or air in my life since those days.

Guess some of this is all relevant to where you came from and what you lived with "back in the day".

However an avocado fridge that's 30 years old doesn't move me as much as some things do like those vintage radiators!
My sister bought a 1970s house in 1990. then the kitchen was considered grossly outdated and in need of updating. Now people offer to buy her burn orange 1970s appliances on a regular basis. I think that she may have dsold them and "updated" I do not know why you would wnat a kitchen that does not match the vintage of your house. (Except for me. an 1836 kitchen would not be of much use today. Back then it would have been a seprate building so that it could burn down without taking the house with it. However we tried to go as vintage as practical wile still being safe (1930s)).

Udating a kitchen is like putting vinyl windows in a turn of the century home - it should be a felony.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:24 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,803,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Udating a kitchen is like putting vinyl windows in a turn of the century home - it should be a felony.
lol, then you can take me to jail or have my cabinets from 1992 that are warping from POs putting in wet plates and I'll go ahead and get new ones.

I can't wait to get replace them if only for that reason (nevermind a couple of mind-bogglingly bad design decisions someone made). Gimme a couple of years because I'm still saving up.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:10 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,880,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
lol, then you can take me to jail or have my cabinets from 1992 that are warping from POs putting in wet plates and I'll go ahead and get new ones.

I can't wait to get replace them if only for that reason (nevermind a couple of mind-bogglingly bad design decisions someone made). Gimme a couple of years because I'm still saving up.
1992 does not count. You are not updating, just upgrading. It is one thing to put in better cabinets of the same style/era It is another to put in changes that destroy the consistency of the age/style of your home.

Putting a 1950s kitchen in an 1893 house is a crime (they did that to my old house after we sold it ). However that kitchen would look great in a 1950s house. Likewise, putting a 2009 style kitchen in a 1970s home looks awful (even though most 1970s kitchens are unbearably ugly to many people, they are supposed to be "ugly" - that is the syle of the era.). Personally I really like the style of kitchens and appliances from the 1930s and the 1950s. It irks me to see one being gutted and replaced with "updated" appliances and cabinets which are usually no where near the same quality. Once it is gone, it is almost impossible to put it back.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:33 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,097,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debb J View Post
We watched HGTV and toured kitchen and bath showrooms for ideas on how we could improve the appearance of our home. HGTV really pushed stainless appliances, granite counters and walls neutralized in "beige or sage" to "appeal to the masses". All the showrooms we toured were pushing these items and materials. Our realtor agreed. Everywhere we turned, we were led to believe our home would be thought of as "inferior" without these changes.

My husband caved and we "updated to stainless". I REGRET THIS EVERY DAY! Lots of the charm of our kitchen is gone and our old appliances worked beautifully! But...we were led to believe our home just wouldn't be worth a dime if we didn't follow the masses. Regret, regret, regret!!!
I really enjoy watching HGTV. But the show has changed quite a bit in the last 5 years or so. There used to be more of the design-oriented shows that had more creative/upscale-looks and now it seems most of the shows are focused on renovations, DIYers, flipping, designing to sell, etc. Must be a sign of the times. Furthermore, I agree that these shows are forms of branding for their sponsors whether they are home suppliers, lumber yards, furniture suppliers, or whatever. Most of the renovating and design shows are about ripping out whatever is there and buying something new instead of re-using and rehabing exisiting materials and structures. There are better and more creative ideas in magazines (i.e., Elle Decor, Traditional Home, etc.). Of course these magazines promote super-designers and pricey-artsy items, but they're great for ideas and also celebrate homes for their uniqueness (i.e. a late Victorian, mid-century modern, or 1970s mod).

Old 03-25-2009, 03:34 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,097,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
And beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
And . . . as my mother says when buying a home: "Beauty is in the eye of the buyer."

Old 03-25-2009, 04:31 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,803,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
1992 does not count. You are not updating, just upgrading. It is one thing to put in better cabinets of the same style/era It is another to put in changes that destroy the consistency of the age/style of your home.

1922 does not count. You are not updating, just upgrading.[/1940s people]

How do you think older houses were modified? For the most part it's piece by piece updating over a long period of time. There's no firm fixed end from one period to another, especially while you're living it. Some say me converting the place to a modern / contemporary look is simply updating it, but in 50 years it may be considered moving from one period to another.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:51 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,492,612 times
A little over a year ago it meant anything older than 1 year old. Now hopefully that will become more realistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House