Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 06:00 PM

525 posts, read 1,851,636 times

Advertisements

I dream with living in a small house. We are three right now and I am too embarassed to say how big my house is

I so wish I lived in a small house...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 06:19 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,295,043 times
What's always surprising to me is perception, depending on who you are talking to. So many people warned us and were shocked when they heard the size of the house we were buying. "That's too small! It will never work!!"...

These comments came from friends and family, like my mom who lives with my grandma in a 2200 sf place, and one of my friends who lives with her child, THAT's IT (she's divorced) in a two story 3500 sf five-bedroom, 4 bath place.

It's all in how you look at things I guess. I'm a minimalist at HEART, but unfortunately not in practice, yet.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:06 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,299,067 times
When we lived in CA, we had a mountain get away that was about 400 SF and seemed like it had lots of room. Many times there would be 4- 6 people there for the weekend and it was fine. Just not much room for a bunch of "things".

Old 07-28-2008, 03:09 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,417,272 times
I have done several Designs for small homes (600-700 sqft) They are very functional if you don't need alot of room. These were all 3 room homes, one bedroom, kitchen, and a living room. I had a two sided fireplace separating the kitchen and living in one of them which gave a nice separation of space. None have been built yet, but the designs are sitting here when I have time to get them built by someone

Old 07-28-2008, 03:40 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,746,321 times
My husband is an architect and we will have a very small house when we finally retire. It poses far more of a challenge to design something funtional and small than luxurious and huge. We love Dwell magazine and highly recommend it to anyone thinking of small living. It also means lower property taxes, lol....now to find the land.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:43 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,085 times
I adore Dwell, also. Although we live in NYC, I would love to have a really energy-efficient modern tiny house in the city.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:00 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,213,847 times
I grew up as a member of a family of 6 in a 1150 sq ft home. It was cramped at times but we got along. Personally, I think it taught us kids some organization skills, cooperation with others, and how to work out fights over the bathroom in the morning. My little sis had a trundle bed that went under mine and I managed to stomp her on a regular basis crawling over to reach the alarm. Her biggest goal was to get rid of me and claim my bed
I now have a 1300 sq ft home and think it is a little big as I rarely use the formal living or the guest room (3rd br is craft room/office).

Old 07-29-2008, 11:25 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,309,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I'm currently dreaming about a teeny, tiny house--in my mind it looks like a little cottage or bungalow with window boxes filled with flowers and a white picket fence--I feel like I've fallen into a Disney movie or something and the deer and the butterflies are about to enter the scene...

But I was wondering--does anyone else have this fantasy--or does anyone live in a tiny house and loves it?

It would be great to hear from you...! And why a tiny house fantasy in the first place??? What does it mean??
I know what you mean here and agree. I always think about those Christmas cards with the little house covered in snow and the little bridge going over the creek. Yep, that's where I want to live someday!

Old 07-29-2008, 12:11 PM

55 posts, read 469,039 times
We are thinking of buying a "tiny" house! Everyone tells us it will be too small. It is 1950 sq ft under air, and we will have three kids. The smallest kids' room is 7 x 10 1/2, which does give me pause.

Still, our worry with the house is not the small size, but rather the choppy layout. If we could mow down a few walls to let light in and open the room flow, we think it would be fine.

Smaller house = lower utilities = less STUFF = more organization = lower mortgage = more money to spend on other things!

Old 07-29-2008, 12:56 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,260,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnes View Post
We are thinking of buying a "tiny" house! Everyone tells us it will be too small. It is 1950 sq ft
It is truly amazing what people call a tiny house now days. How did we ever manage to live in those 1000 - 1400 sq ft houses that are all over the place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House