Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 03:16 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,064,072 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here replaced old, single-pane windows on their home with new energy-efficient double-pane windows? Just wondering what that would cost if we buy an older home.

For those who have, what was the approx square footage of your home and about how much did it cost for the windows? What are you saving now on your electric bill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 03:49 PM

1,290 posts, read 5,442,307 times
I'm not sure of the answers to your questions, but there is an energy savings tax credit that you can take. 10% of the total cost of energy savings upgrades (following certain guidelines) up to $500 lifetime. Keep in mind that it is a tax CREDIT, not a tax deduction.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:31 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,810,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Has anyone here replaced old, single-pane windows on their home with new energy-efficient double-pane windows? Just wondering what that would cost if we buy an older home.

For those who have, what was the approx square footage of your home and about how much did it cost for the windows? What are you saving now on your electric bill?
I'm in the process of replacing my windows and am doing the work myself, so I can't really tell you what the labor costs would be. Probably the biggest problem for me is that my house (1955 construction) only has two windows that are any sort of standard size, so material costs are considerably higher. I'm going through a company called, oddly enough, Custom Windows that is run by a neighbor of mine. Vinyl, Aluminum & Storm Windows and Solar Screens for Houston and the Texas Gulf Coast : Custom Windows. They will give you good faith estimates of your material costs very quickly. His guys will do the installation as well. I'll follow up with you when I complete the project for a better dollar figure, but good windows aren't exactly cheap. I don't know how long this operation will take to pay out in terms of energy savings, but you can be sure that any money you put into energy efficiency will come back when you sell.

Note: don't let anyone sell you argon filled double pane windows. The argon is great if you are in Alaska and frequently experience 40 below temperatures. Its not so great in Houston where radiant heat is the primary culprit. The "LoE2" glass is what you need here. This glass is impregnated with microscopic flakes of metal that reflect a great deal of the radiant heat away from your air-conditioned space.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:44 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,235,343 times
I replaced 14 windows in my older 1500 sq ft brick home and it cost me right at $3,000. I had metal windows that sweated during the winter leaving puddles on the window sills, plus very very old storm windows. I used a company that you may have seen on TV where all the windows were 1 price. I called another company and they want $7,000 to do the same job. I did get the double pain windows. IIRC it was an upgrade but worth it for the little extra money IMHO

I did get the tax credit.. My electric bill went down about $30 or more a month. Sorry I can't be more specific about the savings since I was only in the house a short time.

Last edited by Keeper; 06-10-2008 at 05:47 PM.. Reason: added

Old 06-10-2008, 06:56 PM

1,007 posts, read 5,668,658 times
I looked into replacing windows as well... Like Keeper said... I was interested in one of those ads I saw in the newspaper and also I had a friend that referred the same company. I just wanted something average that I didn't have to paint (vinyl )as what I currently have were wood windows that leaked all the time.

Anyway, the company charges.. 185.00 per a double pane, double-hung, vinyl window for any size. To add low-E.. add another 20.00 to each window. If you want argon gas. add another $20.00 and if you want mullions (the grills in the windows) add another $20.00. If you have a fixed window, the base price was more.. and I think something like $300.00 each for what I wanted (low-e and mullions). I'm glad I now know about the "argon" gas being a waste of money from the other poster (jimboburnsy). Good to know.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:21 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,235,343 times
What is a fixed window?

Old 06-11-2008, 05:42 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,668,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
What is a fixed window?
A fixed window is one that you cannot open. Like a picture window... or a transom window.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:54 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,466,434 times
Castle Windows does a great job, does the financing if you need it and the windows have a lifetime guarantee.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:00 AM

17,482 posts, read 66,180,698 times
I'm in the process of changing sashes. The house was originally built with single pane divided lites. I'm removing the old sashes and balances and installing new balances that allow tilt-in with insulated SDL (simulated divided lites) sashes with lo-E glass. All the windows are standard sizes; 2/0X3/2, 3/0X5/2, 3/0X6/2, etc. The cost has been about $180.00/per window (1 set of balances, 1 set of sashes) and my labor. And there has been a tremendous amount of difference as far as the A/C is concerned- not running as long as it use too.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:28 AM

41,998 posts, read 75,321,036 times
I had replacement windows installed in February (13 windows for $8,000), and almost immediately noticed the difference. The house felt warmer overall, and I'm using about half as much oil.

The spouse think that now we can turn the thermostat up higher in the winter. Heh. Wrong again, buddy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House