Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2008, 11:14 PM

654 posts, read 3,455,915 times

Advertisements

The windows on the house obviously are very old and I want to replace them with better energy-efficient windows. Take a look at the window in this pic:

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg28/Picture31man/Land-5.jpg (broken link)

I want to be able to physically remove this window and put a new one that's lower on the wall than where the original location is. How difficult would such a relocation be? What are some decent brand windows to look into?

This window is in the master bedroom btw which is what I am working on. The old wood paneling has already been removed as well as the insulation, so all the walls are open. Three other windows like this one I want to replace as well.

Also, I have thought about adding a window to the master bath behind the toilet:

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg28/Picture31man/House-6.jpg (broken link)

Yeah, laugh at my wallpapered toliet while you can as it will be gone soon lol. Anyway I thought about putting a small window above the toilet as to allow more natural light, which I like. Most likely this will involve some cutting to get the proper-size window in place.

Some ideas, thoughts and suggestions would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 11:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
When we remodeled our kitchen we moved a window. We did not do the work ourselves. When we replaced all the rest of the windows, we went changed a couple of rectangular windows to curved windows. Again, we did not do the work ourselves. The first time, the contractors did the work; the second time, we bought our windows from Andersen (sp?) and they did the work.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:01 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,669,774 times
We've had the windows replaced in each home we've owned over the years. We never did the work ourselves, so I can't help with that. I did learn that windows are rated for energy efficiency. I think it's called the National Fenestration Rating something - oh, what the heck, let me look it up for you. Here's the link:

NFRC - Welcome

We've used double paned Marvin Windows and Gilkey Windows with nice results. If you're going to have someone do the work for you get multiple bids because the prices vary widely.

http://www.energycodes.gov/implement/pdfs/lib_ks_energy-efficient_windows.pdf (broken link)

Old 08-14-2008, 07:31 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,768,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post
The windows on the house obviously are very old and I want to replace them with better energy-efficient windows. Take a look at the window in this pic:

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg28/Picture31man/Land-5.jpg (broken link)

I want to be able to physically remove this window and put a new one that's lower on the wall than where the original location is. How difficult would such a relocation be? What are some decent brand windows to look into?

This window is in the master bedroom btw which is what I am working on. The old wood paneling has already been removed as well as the insulation, so all the walls are open. Three other windows like this one I want to replace as well.

Also, I have thought about adding a window to the master bath behind the toilet:

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg28/Picture31man/House-6.jpg (broken link)

Yeah, laugh at my wallpapered toliet while you can as it will be gone soon lol. Anyway I thought about putting a small window above the toilet as to allow more natural light, which I like. Most likely this will involve some cutting to get the proper-size window in place.

Some ideas, thoughts and suggestions would be great!
replacing windows can be very tedius and is a real test of carpentry, but is much, much, much easier than hanging doorframes. If you get into changing the rough-opening size, that can be much more of a pain (I don't like messing with exterior wall-cover). You can have windows custom made to the specs you need at any home depot or lowes and you are more than likely to find someone who knows what he's doing (these aren't always the best deal, but it's easy and accessible and if there is a problem they will fix it). You can probably find a seminar on installing windows at either of the two big stores as well that will be a better learning experience than any online research.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:08 AM

1,127 posts, read 5,008,385 times
Quote:
Yeah, laugh at my wallpapered toliet while you can as it will be gone soon lol.
ROLF! If that wasn't a deal breaker when you purchased the house, you are one brave soul!

Old 08-14-2008, 10:40 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Quote:
Yeah, laugh at my wallpapered toliet while you can as it will be gone soon lol.
I'm glad you said that because as I scrolled down a "Whoa!" escaped from my lips.

Is the toilet seat lid wallpapered (lidpapered??), too??

As for the windows ... Hire someone to do the work, especially since you'll be cutting into exterior walls etc. Maybe you could blow some insulation in there while you're at it?

Old 08-14-2008, 01:27 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,768,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'm glad you said that because as I scrolled down a "Whoa!" escaped from my lips.

Is the toilet seat lid wallpapered (lidpapered??), too??

As for the windows ... Hire someone to do the work, especially since you'll be cutting into exterior walls etc. Maybe you could blow some insulation in there while you're at it?
Since you have the studs exposed, you probably want to put batts in there. Blown in isn't necessarily the best option for vertical walls as it tends to settle over time. There's no reason you can't cut the exterior walls yourself, but I agree with Ohio. For the "public" face of the house, I would just as soon have a pro do the work. Watch him closely, that way you will not have to call him back for the next one.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:27 AM

654 posts, read 3,455,915 times
Ok next question regarding windows....what brand of windows are good as far as quality, and their energy efficiency? I want to try to see if maybe I can find horizontal windows similar to the original ones that are energy efficient. I'm pretty much in research mode now so I want to try to find out as much as I can. I know windows can get expensive, especially for the high-end ones but for a house this old, they aren't necessary, just some good quality energy efficient windows.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:52 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,881,476 times
When looking at windows, the seller will always show you the "double hung window". Ask about single hung...they only open on the bottom. The double hung winddows will open top and bottom. the single hung are less expensive. Codes now require for high E glass. The energy efficient glass. No window is made without it, do not pay extra for energy efficient glass, it's already there. I replaced 34 windows in my house and decided on Home Depot. They did all the work, were less expensive than "window companies", and did a great job. The work was done by a sub-contractor, and garanteed by Home Depot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House