Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 12:05 AM

20,318 posts, read 37,329,776 times

Advertisements

If you want him to stop using that fabric softener you could always buy a case of the one you use at your home, and give it to him. I don't know, but I would think that the guy is not doing anything illegal. The dryer vent is probably there because the dryer is located near it. That's the way the house was built.

Also, what smells good to one person may not smell good to another. You just can't force the guy to use a product he does not want or can't afford. That's the reason why you can offer him some of your fabric softener (maybe anti-cling towels?). Let him try them after explaining your troubles, and if the result is good, them buy the poor guy a year's supply of the things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 12:08 AM

1,342 posts, read 3,254,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
Unless your city has some really crazy zoning laws you can't own all the way to the back wall of his house. YOU are the problem neighbor not him.
No, actually the property used to run from one block to the next, his house used to be the carriage house to my townhouse, but it was sold off by the idiot who owned the house before me. He only sold the carriage house. I own all the land right up to the back wall.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:29 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,286,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
But just this past week, when the weather was good, I made dinner and had it outside for the first warm day of the spring, and just as I was eating the exhaust came on from the dryer. I took a large sheet of plastic and plugged it up.
OMG! You could cause a FIRE!

Old 05-13-2012, 10:40 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,741,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
OMG! You could cause a FIRE!
That is incredibly dangerous and irresponsible.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:31 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,699,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
Unless your city has some really crazy zoning laws you can't own all the way to the back wall of his house. YOU are the problem neighbor not him.

I agree.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:27 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,254,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
That is incredibly dangerous and irresponsible.
No, he installed a double vent outside, when I stuffed the plastic bag into the bottom vent it vented out the other side, so it only diverted the air out of my space.

As far as owning the property to the wall, I do have a deed describing the size of my property and I know quite well that I own all the land to the rear wall, which is why he wanted 5 feet of my land for easement. He illegally vented his household exhaust into my space which is a violation of code. When he sells the property I will call L&I to have it corrected.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:03 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,989,700 times
You may have a problem if you continue to allow the present homeowner to vent his dryer into your space and only report it when the property is sold. You are in effect acquiescing to the continued venting of his dryer and thereby gving him license to do so. You really should be consulting a real estate attorney to find out your rights and responsibilities.

Actually, if there is an alternate vent on the other side of the house that doesn't impact your space, closing that vent, be it voluntarily on his part or by order of L&I should solve your problem and wouldn't impact him financially.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:55 PM

136 posts, read 436,375 times
Quote:
No, actually the property used to run from one block to the next, his house used to be the carriage house to my townhouse, but it was sold off by the idiot who owned the house before me. He only sold the carriage house. I own all the land right up to the back wall.
You may want to look a little further into the assumption that your neighbor doesn't have a maintenance easement or other type of easement right. Things like this can happen in older neighborhoods that didn't take situations like this into account when homes were built but it would be unusual for someone to be able to sub-divide a lot more recently without factoring that in. If you own right up to the wall without a maintenance easement your neighbor cannot even maintain that side of the house without trespassing.

Does the neighbor have a flat roof? The roof would have extend into your property otherwise.

All that aside, if it's against code to install the vent where it is you should report that now, not wait for some date in the future when he's selling.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:00 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,087,584 times
Quote:
No, he installed a double vent outside, when I stuffed the plastic bag into the bottom vent it vented out the other side, so it only diverted the air out of my space.

THAT is why there is ALWAYS clear space from any structure to the property line, with fences it is usually about 8", with permanent structures it can vary, 3-4' to 20' or more.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:53 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,741,503 times
Quote:

As far as owning the property to the wall, I do have a deed describing the size of my property and I know quite well that I own all the land to the rear wall, which is why he wanted 5 feet of my land for easement. He illegally vented his household exhaust into my space which is a violation of code. When he sells the property I will call L&I to have it corrected.
There's no such thing as a "double vent" for a dryer.

You can't possibly know what "code" is if you don't know that.

If you think this is a code violation, please *quickly* call the city and get him cited for this violation of "code".

You could very well kill someone by plugging that vent.

If the dryer on the other end of that vent is natural gas, *you* are causing combustion byproducts to vent inside that mans home. It's no different than hooking the exhaust from your car up to a hose and stuffing it in his window.

Even if the dryer is electric, obstructing that pipe could cause a fire. With as close as your homes are, you might even burn your own home down. Wouldn't that be amazing karma!

Quit the passive-aggressive self-help and call the city *today* before you get charged with a crime.

Last edited by Zippyman; 05-16-2012 at 11:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House