Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 02:11 PM

246 posts, read 1,354,678 times

Advertisements

I am having a bit of a problem with the exhaust vent from my kitchen cook range and microwave. I can feel the cold air from outside coming through it. How do I prevent this from happening. The outside went has no "damper" but can you put one on like those for a dryer vent (I assume not). If that is not possible, what can be done to prevent the draft in this kind of weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 02:45 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
The microwave is supposed to have a flapper damper already built in. It has been damaged or removed. Remove the microwave (usually four long bolts in the shelving above it) tilt it down, and then out. Looksee what the problem is.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:23 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Harry's got your answer-
I'll expand it a little; See "H" in the "parts needed section of this pdf:
http://guides.homeeverything.com/cache/FRDSIKHAAKWV.PDF

That's what you should have on top of your micro. If you don't or it doesn't appear to close correctly either install one, or a new one. They're not worth trying to fix with scotch tape and bailing wire.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:27 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
The outside vent should also have a flapper.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:45 AM

Can you have one with a flap outside for a kitchen exhuast fan vent much like a dryer vent? The one I have does not have flaps outside.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:58 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zotmeister View Post
Can you have one with a flap outside for a kitchen exhuast fan vent much like a dryer vent? The one I have does not have flaps outside.
If you know the duct size you should be able to find an exhaust cover on Amazon or something like that. You can probably do a lot better than the cheesy ones sold at HD.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:42 AM

"Can you have one with a flap outside for a kitchen exhuast fan vent much like a dryer vent? The one I have does not have flaps outside."

You could, I suppose, but it would be much more susceptible to flapping in stray breezes, and under certain conditions could freeze up. The one at the microwave also acts as a weak firestop. If you had a pan catch on fire on the stove, and a column of heated air went up the vent pipe, it would act like a chimney. Having the flapper at the bottom prevents the chimney effect. A side effect is that on really cold days, having the flapper at the bottom keeps the air column cold, and the vent stays closed. A vent flapper at the top would have the house air forcing it open, leading to heat loss and wasted $$$.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:57 AM

So what are mu options. How do you prevent cold air coming in or is this just the way it is.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:18 PM

If the flap at the microwave is operating properly, there should be an absolute minimum of cold air intrusion. Repair or replacement of the flap is the option I would choose. Improper or sloppy installation where the duct and microwave join is somewhat common. A little fiberglass insulation around the joint, and inspection to make sure the flap seals properly and is not bent should resolve the issue. On cold days (20 degrees and below), you might feel a trace of cool under the microwave, but no breezes or air currents.

If you have leaky heating ducts in your hot air heating, then the negative air pressure in the house may make any tiny gap a point for air entry into the house. The same goes if you are using a fireplace or other system that causes air to leave the house envelope. In those cases, the problem is less the vent, and more the leaking ducts or lack of a place near the fireplace where make-up air can be admitted.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:29 PM

It appears I would have to take the microwave off the shelf for me to see the fdamper/flap. This would be rather cumbersome to take the whole microwave off. Isd there a way to see the flap without taking apart the microwave. Can I unscrew the shell and check it out with the microwave still attached to the shelf. It has been cool here and I do feel a small trace of cool air
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House