Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 09:31 AM

1,216 posts, read 5,773,334 times

Advertisements

After 7 yrs, my sink looks nasty - due to scratches and stains. I just tried to bleach it, and it still looks dirty.

I know, I know -- i never should have used any sort of abrasive cleaner .... but the damage is done.

I googled "Kitchen Sink Refinisher" and it did bring up a few things... mostly franchise opportunities for a company called Perma Glaze, which i could not find in my area.

there were other links to message boards regarding the same problem i have... but i have yet to find a solution.

I do believe it is enamel and not porcelain -- but i'm not positive.

Anyone know of a company or even a product i could get at say HD or Menards where we could refinish it ourselves?? [DH is a pretty handy guy]

TIA,

TCS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 10:21 AM

1,398 posts, read 7,703,722 times
IMHO if DH is a pretty handy guy just bite the bullet and put in a new sink...and a new set of fixtures while you're at it. I seriously doubt that a "refinishing" job is worth the effort. Swapping out a sink and the plumbing is a day job...less time than screwing around with some makeshift "resurfacing".

Old 05-03-2008, 10:28 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Any place that does reglazing of tubs can do a sink (cast iron/porcelain). But their cost may be inline with a new one.
The only other option would be an epoxy paint, but it won't have the same gloss or durability as porcelain.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:50 AM

thanks guys .... may just look into getting a new sink.

Funny --- DH was saying [after he saw me researching this] that our sinks have never done this before.... i told him we've always had stainless sinks.

so - my bet is,,, when we get a new one, it will be SS.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:57 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs1366 View Post

so - my bet is,,, when we get a new one, it will be SS.
I have always had stainless steel. When I replace mine I will go with SS again but I would like a deeper one next time.

Old 05-03-2008, 12:06 PM

my dad and s/o had their kitchen redone years ago, and she picked out this gorgeous granite single bowl sink that is about 20" deep. it's awesome. their kitchen is too small for a double bowl. BUT with that said... there is not much clearance under the sink ... where i keep my recycling and trash bins.

Old 05-03-2008, 05:07 PM

3,533 posts, read 12,302,661 times
Unhappy Never Buy Porcelain Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs1366 View Post
After 7 yrs, my sink looks nasty - due to scratches and stains. I just tried to bleach it, and it still looks dirty.

I know, I know -- i never should have used any sort of abrasive cleaner .... but the damage is done.

I googled "Kitchen Sink Refinisher" and it did bring up a few things... mostly franchise opportunities for a company called Perma Glaze, which i could not find in my area.

there were other links to message boards regarding the same problem i have... but i have yet to find a solution.

I do believe it is enamel and not porcelain -- but i'm not positive.

Anyone know of a company or even a product i could get at say HD or Menards where we could refinish it ourselves?? [DH is a pretty handy guy]

TIA,

TCS

I tried refinishing my porcelain sink with a kit i got from lowes. what a pain in the butt. i will never try that again that's for sure. decided to go with a stainless steel sink instead. easier to keep clean that's for sure. we couldn't keep our white sink clean for the life of us. did the same thing you did, tried bleach and everything. we found that they don,t hold up very well to pots and pans. they tend to mark it up.

Old 05-03-2008, 05:43 PM

yea -- Mine is white too. I wish i would have paid more attention when the builder asked what color i wanted.... should have said Almond.

but -- they will all be SS from now on.

Old 05-04-2008, 02:20 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
the paint on epoxy is hideous in no time flat. for porcelain or baked enamel, if clorox clean up or comet won't get the stain out, its permanent. anyone in this thread actually reglaze through firing process a new enamel coating? how long does it last? (same as factory shelflife?)

Old 11-03-2008, 07:42 AM

4 posts, read 76,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Any place that does reglazing of tubs can do a sink (cast iron/porcelain). But their cost may be inline with a new one.
The only other option would be an epoxy paint, but it won't have the same gloss or durability as porcelain.

Good advice. I refinish tubs and tiles in Austin and I almost NEVER do kitchen sinks. An area like that receives heavy use (sharp knives, pans) and the chemicals that get end up kitchen sinks are also very strong - so you should just treat yourself to a new one

Mod Cut Advertising

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 11-03-2008 at 01:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House