Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 10:25 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,294,908 times

Advertisements

Hi,
found pretty decent 720p security cameras at costco for 400 bucks (8 cams). installation is about 400 additional.

The pros are obvious.....some additional peace of mind....deterrent of certain events....etc.
Aside from the cost involved, what other cons are there?

ps. this is a single family home, about ~3k sq.ft. on quarter of an acre.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 11:04 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Reviewing video footage is one of the most boring tasks you can imagine.

You can grow to hate cats, dogs, and squirrels (that trip recording on motion detect).

Unless each camera sees another, you stand a chance of cameras being stolen by an unknown thief.

Peeing off the back deck is out.

You may feel like you are invaded by giant wasps and spiders.

You'll look at landscaping in an entirely different way.

You'll realize you need a UPS with long battery life.

If you have outrider cameras you may get very nervous when there is lightning in the area.

The person installing your system may be casing your place.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:13 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,294,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

You can grow to hate cats, dogs, and squirrels (that trip recording on motion detect).

Unless each camera sees another, you stand a chance of cameras being stolen by an unknown thief.

If you have outrider cameras you may get very nervous when there is lightning in the area.

wow, well, thanks very much.
wasn't expecting that.
Excellent points.

Old 10-29-2014, 12:47 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,067,856 times
Reviewing the footage sucks... The motion detection on my system is not great, so it's not dependable for catching what you want to see, I end up reviewing the entire video.

Spiders like to build webs around the infrared LEDs, which can obscure the picture especially at night. You have to mount the cameras in a way that reduces this or clean the webs off constantly. Likewise, the infrared is susceptible to glare and hot spots (like the reflectors in tail lights and license plates on your cars) so you have to adjust the cameras to minimize this. Fog reflects a lot of infrared as well,and since were just blocks from the water it's a nuisance.

One other oddity, I added audio to my system after the fighting and harassment from the neighbor started to escalate. (This is legal in my area as long as you're recording ambient sound on your own property). I ended up picking up some really scary stuff I otherwise wouldn't have heard unless I was standing out in the front yard in the middle of the night. Basically the neighbors son was having psychotic fits, babbling and crying for hours in a way that indicated he was not rational. Since he was living in an rv parked in the driveway next door a few feet from my house all of this was audible. Before installing the mic, I didn't know this was going on and it indicated he was far more mentally ill than initially suspected. We ended up leaving the house and sleeping elsewhere after hearing him semi coherently babbling about "coming to get us".

The cameras did seem to keep him away from the house though. He stopped trespassing after they went in, and my car tires sopped getting popped. I was also able to figure out how he was stalking us reviewing footage. It turned out one of his junkie buddies was acting as a lookout and texting him when we were out walking around.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:30 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

harry, I think it's time to find a new hobby!
Can I suggest Landscaping? LOL!

Old 10-29-2014, 05:07 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
HEY! I just mowed the front lawn yesterday. It is only a couple of acres. Only another three or four to go. My "landscaping" consists of seeing how big a tree I can mow down (outside our forest). I don't consider it a hobby as much as survival of the fittest.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:19 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
Pros & Cons of getting a outdoor Security System Cameras
If I felt that I needed these I'd pack up and move.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:34 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times
Default Good unit, good price, worth the purchase

The Costco $400 security camera is an attractive price and it’s worth the money if you feel the need for having one. There are much higher priced units on the market that have more bells and whistles but for most homeowners this isn’t a bad unit. Costco has an excellent return policy if you don't like the unit after you check it out more at home.

Most home burglars are not very professional and it seems as if there are more of them out there these days. The security camera will not stop a burglar if he/she wants to get inside your house. However most burglars will see the cameras outside and decide not to visit you and will move onto another home that doesn’t have cameras. It’s a matter of choice, why would you want your picture taken while breaking in or leaving. There are those however that will do it regardless.

My neighbor had an electronic security unit that would notify the central dispatch that an alarm was broken and they would call the homeowner to see if it was a false alarm or not, then they would call the police if they couldn’t contact the homeowner. My neighbor’s home was broken into and the alarm “didn’t” send notice to the dispatchers; however I was alerted because of the unusual noise being made when the burglar broke the glass in the backdoor to gain entry. I called the police and they responded in about 7 minutes after the call. That was maybe 10 minutes total time elapsed from the moment of the break in to the time when police arrived. Important ~ most criminals (in my area) know that it will take 5 minutes “at best” for the police to arrive.

My neighbor didn’t have security cameras and the burglar was in and out in of the house in five minutes. No one knew what he or they looked like and if I hadn’t heard the noise the police wouldn’t have been called. However I have cameras on my home and one of mine was positioned in such a way as to capture the “two” young males running away from the far side of his house. They parked a car behind a large bush where my camera couldn’t see it, and they drove away.

My point here is that facts about the burglary became known only because of the camera. The police knew the time of the break in the approximate size, height, weight and that there were two young males who left via a car because of the video record.

Security camera systems provide valuable information that is needed and without them not much is known unless someone is home or there is a witness.

Cameras: provide time, description and a record of what happened.
Cameras outside that are visible from the street help to discourage criminals.
Cameras security units can provide a visual internet connection to your Iphone, Ipad, or PC while you’re away from the house.
Camera units once installed are paid for with no reoccurring monthly fees for monitoring the system.
Security alarm systems notify authorities if the system is violated and someone will come out after the crime is completed usually the bad guys gone.
Security Alarm systems have a monthly reoccurring monitoring fee.
Without any system you don’t know you’ve become a victim of a burglary until you come home.
In most cases depending on the house the installation of the cameras and unit, isn’t difficult. There is a learning curve of setting some options but it’s not difficult and there is technical support online or via phone.

Oh,,, yeah my neighbor did eventually installed a camera system with remote monitoring, eight cameras and now can keep track of what is happening at his home while away. He uses the pc while at work or his Iphone while elsewhere. He can monitor and see how his dogs are doing while they are out in the backyard and if there’s someone else breaking in.

If I hear something unusual while I’m inside my house I can monitor the outside of my house with eight cameras that are strategically located by simply clicking an icon on the pc and I can see who’s at the front door without opening it. If I’m away I can use my ipad via the internet to monitor. I’m not in a high crime area maybe one or two burglaries a year but the criminal can see my cameras and move to another home the next block over.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:33 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,067,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
If I felt that I needed these I'd pack up and move.
If one of the neighbors kids moved back in with his parents and started causing trouble you'd move?

Old 10-29-2014, 08:35 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Or installing CCTV systems from Costco. Actually I had a few friends who wanted them and asked me to install those systems. For the price they aren't really bad. But for a little bit more you can get better cameras and DVR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House