Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2021, 09:34 PM

37,722 posts, read 46,173,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
No - the product is separate from the video subscription. If you want the system to record, you have to buy a separate subscription with an ongoing fee from Ring. I hate buying a product, such as Ring doorbell, and then having to pay an ongoing fee to use it.

Remember, the story about Gillette razors and the disposable blades. Gillette didn't make much money on their safety razors, but made most of their money on customers having to buy new blades. It's like an annuity for the manufacturer. Same as these subscriptions for Ring.
I know how all about the subscription service that they sell. It is why I don't have a Ring camera myself. However I was suggesting that perhaps your "delay" in notifications was due to a defective unit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2021, 11:02 PM

4,664 posts, read 4,564,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I use ADT's system, including their particular cameras and doorbell (I think they are Ring products). Anyway, they're fine and I like that it's all on one app.

I like that I can arm and disarm the system easily. I think the video quality is fine. It doesn't go off all the time so it was easy to program with people I know and dogs and all that.

I am thinking of upping my internet speed because I don't have super fast upload speed and so there's a slight lag in the doorbell feature or vocal features with all cameras, but it's not really significant most of the time so I don't really care much. Not sure it's worth another $20 a month.

Overall I am satisfied.
Gotcha. I've been using ADT and Nest and was pleasantly surprised when Google announced they were investing $450MM in ADT last year. I'm hopeful that they will be releasing some new Nest + ADT integrated products in time for us to include in our remodel.

Old 09-16-2021, 02:12 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,175,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Gotcha. I've been using ADT and Nest and was pleasantly surprised when Google announced they were investing $450MM in ADT last year. I'm hopeful that they will be releasing some new Nest + ADT integrated products in time for us to include in our remodel.
Yep, I will definitely check on when or if I can transition to Google/Nest products once they get going. I didn't want to wait though because there's just no telling when they will actually start installing the Nest products.

Old 09-18-2021, 10:22 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,078,361 times
Many of my neighbors have Ring. I had a security system installed and specifically did not want cameras. I only care about preventing someone from breaking in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House