Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 03:33 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,028,492 times

Advertisements

What happens when sheetrock is used backwards, i.e., the rear side facing out? It would be primed and painted. I have a number of oddly shaped cuts that I could use inside a closet but the shapes are such that they'd have to be used backwards. I am quite frugal by nature so getting something out of these would save me a sheet or 2 and reduce waste.

Please don't lecture me on the right way to do things, short cuts, etc etc. As noted above - this is for the inside of a closet under a staircase and mostly in the dark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 04:17 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,010,995 times
This is NOT a lecture, this is a statement:

When you do things the right way, you usually only have to do them once.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:24 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,587,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
What happens when sheetrock is used backwards, i.e., the rear side facing out? It would be primed and painted. I have a number of oddly shaped cuts that I could use inside a closet but the shapes are such that they'd have to be used backwards. I am quite frugal by nature so getting something out of these would save me a sheet or 2 and reduce waste.

Please don't lecture me on the right way to do things, short cuts, etc etc. As noted above - this is for the inside of a closet under a staircase and mostly in the dark.
For the low cost of a 4x8 sheet of drywall why would you want to hack it up? I'm frugal myself but $10-$20 is not going to break my bank.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:44 PM

18,467 posts, read 31,621,245 times
just do it. for the closet i dont think it is a big deal...no one us going to see it anyway.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:59 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
The thicker card stock on the back absorbs a lot more moisture than the front, which is made to accept compound and paint. I would suggest that you go ahead, but on those odd bits prime the surface before texturing any joints
to prevent the tape from peeling off. I can understand this, why go and buy 2 more sheets for a small amount and have a lot of leftovers?

Old 02-09-2014, 05:02 PM

17,707 posts, read 29,800,391 times
Default Drive to the big box store

Buy 2 as you never know.

SHEETROCK Brand UltraLight 48 in. x 8 ft. x 1/2 in. Gypsum Panel-14113411708 at The Home Depot

$10/sheet

Listen to K'ledgeBldr

Old 02-09-2014, 05:23 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
Nothing will happen if you install it backwards. The front side has a better quality paper that has a smoother finish, and provides a surface that aids on keeping the primer and paint as even as possible. The back side is more porous.

Since you are using it on a closet and plan to prime it, go for it. It won't make a difference.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:27 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,288,797 times
The paper on the back is recycled and not designed for a finish. You can do it if you like but you will have to seal it with Kilz oil base, or skim it with a hot mud like USG Lightweight fast set. When I was a kid I worked for a big drywall company, and this occurred on occasion, and was really considered more work, but if you willing to do the above go for it.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:46 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
The paper on the back is recycled and not designed for a finish. You can do it if you like but you will have to seal it with Kilz oil base, or skim it with a hot mud like USG Lightweight fast set. When I was a kid I worked for a big drywall company, and this occurred on occasion, and was really considered more work, but if you willing to do the above go for it.
He can use one of numerous latex primers available. Kiltz makes a very nice odorless latex primer, and so several other companies. Pittsburgh also makes a latex primer, "Sealgrip" that's quite good, but it produces more fumes than the one made by Kiltz. He does not have to use hot mud if he does not want to; any all purpose mud will do.

The main problem I see with installing sheetrock backwards is that the depression or low areas all around the edges of the sheetrock is not available on the back side, which in turn would make taping the joints more difficult, since the depression is there to keep the tape below or at least even with the sheetrock surface. But since the OP said that he is using it in a closet, it is not a big deal.
-------
That said, I do agree with others in that sheetrock is so cheap that it makes no sense not buying another sheet to complete the work.

Opps! Moose in the backyard. I better run and take some pictures

Last edited by RayinAK; 02-09-2014 at 06:54 PM..

Old 02-09-2014, 05:50 PM

846 posts, read 1,880,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
He can use one of numerous latex primers available. Kiltz makes a very nice odorless latex primer, and so several other companies. Pittsburgh also makes a latex primer, "Sealgrip" that's quite good, but it produces more fumes than the one made by Kiltz. He does not have to use hot mud if he does not want to, and mud will do. This is the kind of work I do for a living.
won't hammer you too much...but it's KILZ Paint.

Kiltz are what school girls and bagpipe playerz wear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House