Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 08:37 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,027,576 times

Advertisements

To be clear, I'm talking about galvanized sheetrock nails. Shape is the same and both are galvanized. so what's the difference? Are they interchangable? If not why not? I'm talking about 1-3/4 roofing nails.

All this leads to the next question. If they're basically the same, is there any reason not to nail sheetrock with a roofing nail gun? Construction forums generally say no but it seems like a lot of it boils down to "it isn't done cause if it worked it would be done but no one does it..." and around in a circle. Nobody seems to say, "yeah, I tried it and it didn't work."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 08:42 PM
QIS

920 posts, read 5,145,620 times
Roofing nails and sheetrock nails are not alike at all and are not interchangeable

Old 01-09-2014, 08:46 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,287,540 times
Drywall nails are not galvanized, but are phosphate coated. Roofing nails are galvanized due to their exterior use. Finishing mud products react better to a phosphate coating, but have less adhesion to a galvanized coated product. Proceed at your own risk.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Drywall nails are not galvanized, but are phosphate coated. Roofing nails are galvanized due to their exterior use. Finishing mud products react better to a phosphate coating, but have less adhesion to a galvanized coated product. Proceed at your own risk.
Yet these guys apparently sell phosphate coated and electrogalvanized "drywall" nails. Application is a small laundry room.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:12 PM

839 posts, read 2,416,157 times
The shape and diameter of the head of the two nails is considerably different. A roofing nail will have a large diameter, perfectly flat head meant to spread the holding surface over a larger area increasing the ability of the shingles to resist wind. Drywall nails have a smaller head with a concave profile meant to be driven just slightly below the surface of the Sheetrock forming a dimple which is filled with joint compound and then sanded smooth. Not interchangeable.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:27 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,287,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Yet these guys apparently sell phosphate coated and electrogalvanized "drywall" nails. Application is a small laundry room.
Your own link proves I'm right, so read it? Drytites are phosphate coated. I've spent a lifetime with these materials, and your ignorance questions my understanding? You did say drywall (Sheetrock which is a USG proprietary term) and not plasterboard?

Old 01-10-2014, 02:59 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,586,616 times
Nails for sheetrock? Every home I have been in with nailed sheetrock had sags all over the place and nail pops. Using nails is hackish to me.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenScoutII View Post
The shape and diameter of the head of the two nails is considerably different. A roofing nail will have a large diameter, perfectly flat head meant to spread the holding surface over a larger area increasing the ability of the shingles to resist wind. Drywall nails have a smaller head with a concave profile meant to be driven just slightly below the surface of the Sheetrock forming a dimple which is filled with joint compound and then sanded smooth. Not interchangeable.
Thanks, that clarifies.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Your own link proves I'm right, so read it? Drytites are phosphate coated. I've spent a lifetime with these materials, and your ignorance questions my understanding? You did say drywall (Sheetrock which is a USG proprietary term) and not plasterboard?
Of course my ignorance questions your "understanding." For the lay person the terms 'drywall' and 'plasterboard' are synonymous. Wikipedia apparently agrees. Drywall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Apparently your lifetime of experience doesn't extend to illuminating the issues in a way that's helpful to those less enlightened.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:56 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Nails for sheetrock?
Drywall screws are indeed better. And not just for drywall. If duct tape won't work, the next thing I reach for is a drywall screw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House