Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 11:21 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,100,465 times

Advertisements

This thread replies has me cracking up. Thanks everyone for the laughs.

Charlie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 11:59 PM

17,480 posts, read 66,131,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I think the footprints in the snow would give a secret door away here.

Naa. People just like to use the "hose bib" a lot during the middle of the winter!

Old 02-04-2014, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
A house with no visible doors. Genius! That would certainly keep solicitors away.
Door or no door- the phone keep ringing!

Old 02-04-2014, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
There is actually some humor in this. I'm thinking of HOA communities that specify square footage, number of floors and style of homes that can be built there, where they will be built, width of trees that can come down, width of trees that need special permission, what color the house will be, how long it can take to be built, whether garages can be separate or integral, whether the house must face the street....but never thought to regulate that every house should have a front door!

A door is a door, is a door- whether you can "see" it or not. However, in case of fire and fireman may not find much "humor" in it!

It's covered by code.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:03 AM

22,617 posts, read 47,741,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
There is actually some humor in this. I'm thinking of HOA communities that specify square footage, number of floors and style of homes that can be built there, where they will be built, width of trees that can come down, width of trees that need special permission, what color the house will be, how long it can take to be built, whether garages can be separate or integral, whether the house must face the street....but never thought to regulate that every house should have a front door!
Meh.
Unless they never ever have anyone over, plenty of people will know about the "secret" front door. Even people driving or walking by can catch someone using it.

It would have to be a back door for discretion.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:29 AM

592 posts, read 1,480,661 times
The youtube version of this is longer.

Secret hidden exterior entrance door - YouTube

you'll see in YT version that square houses the electronic keypad. The remote the women uses is part of the entry keypad. There is a regular exterior door under they camo.

I dont see where they say this is the main front door. In fact looking at it this looks like the back of the house and I wonder if its even an full entry. in the YT version when showing from inside the walls are unfinished. Maybe this is an add-on garden shed?

We have a split level with a bonus basement under the Kitchen/LR level. I say "bonus" as its the first time I've seen this. We are remodeling and where the door is located I've been thinking it would be cool to make the door a bookcase.... originally had the idea for the wet bar area and it wouldve worked cool to have a wetbar appear, but then we decided to open up the side wall even more so it killed that idea.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:46 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,416,324 times
Interesting, homes around here, (Princeton, NJ) many have hidden walls, doors, stairways and some even have tunnels from their basements to the woods, most of the hidden spaces pre date back to and we're built during or just after the Continental Army pushed back the British Army during the Revolution War. The preppers could learn a thing or two from our ancestors.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:50 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,453,690 times
In one of the last houses I lived in, the original owner put in a hidden door in the laundry room, which opened into a room about 20x20 feet, with insulated walls, concrete floor with drain, plumbed with water, a fair amount of electrical supply, and vents up to the roof... didn't take too long to figure out why he built that....

Old 02-04-2014, 09:04 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,097,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Pretty neat but why would somebody need something like this?

Secret hidden exterior entrance door. [VIDEO]
Very cool.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:56 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,634,553 times
About the real front door vs the secret door....it would be funny but defeating the purpose of subterfuge is there were no real front door. That way the secret door, perhaps to a secret area would be all the more inconspicuous and not even searched for by outsiders.

After this video, though, one would need to think of a different entry than the water spigot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House