Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 10:37 AM

105 posts, read 137,186 times

Advertisements

Hello

I am sure many of us in the Midwest recently experienced the freezing of pipes. Right now, people are trying to help me with this problem, but soon I will be living on my own without help. If something like that happens, what should I do? I have always lived in places with pipes that withstood low temperatures. I have read about various ways of thawing the pipes, but none of them have worked so far in the house I am in now. I just want to make sure I do not end up with an emergency situation when I move in the near future.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 10:40 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,210,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac11 View Post
Hello

I am sure many of us in the Midwest recently experienced the freezing of pipes. Right now, people are trying to help me with this problem, but soon I will be living on my own without help. If something like that happens, what should I do? I have always lived in places with pipes that withstood low temperatures. I have read about various ways of thawing the pipes, but none of them have worked so far in the house I am in now. I just want to make sure I do not end up with an emergency situation when I move in the near future.

Thank you.
When it gets very cold, just keep your water running a tiny bit all day/night. That virtually always keeps them from freezing.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:11 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
Use a hair dryer to thaw the pipes or wrap the pipes in towels soaked in hot water. I heard the hair dryer advice last night on the radio, the hot towel idea is the one I have always heard.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:14 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,323,996 times
Also, identify problem locations--like where your pipes are frozen now and wrap them with thermal tape, figure out a way to get heat to that area or add insulation as you are able. You shouldn't have to deal with frozen pipes if you take steps to prevent them from freezing in the first place.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:20 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,084,834 times
And this:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/house...gent-help.html

Old 01-07-2014, 11:23 AM

150 posts, read 343,908 times
We are discovering all kinds of things about our house, as we moved in the beginning of November. The kitchen sink pipe froze. The house is cold, but not that cold, and of course we find out it is on an outside wall. We used a space heater and it is now thawed. Come spring, we will be making the changes needed to better insulate pipes and house.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:45 AM

428 posts, read 487,456 times
Woke up this morning to find my kitchen sink's hot water pipe frozen. Temperature's warming up outside, but still not above freezing yet. Looks like I'll try taking a hair dryer to the pipe to see if I can get things moving along. Good luck to those of us dealing with this mess. And best of luck, OP, with the job interviews!

Old 01-07-2014, 11:51 AM

6,819 posts, read 11,550,944 times
Another idea is to leave your cabinet doors under your sink open to let a little more warmth in there.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:52 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,676,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
When it gets very cold, just keep your water running a tiny bit all day/night. That virtually always keeps them from freezing.
That's right. And keep your cabinet doors open where there are pipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Another idea is to leave your cabinet doors under your sink open to let a little more warmth in there.
Oops. Ya beat me, lol.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:38 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,079,840 times
At my last house, before I remodeled the kitchen (contractor brought most of the pipes "inside") my kitchen pipes would freeze when temps got really low. It was pretty scary to get up, go to the kitchen, turn on a faucet, and have absolutely nothing happen. I would open the cabinet doors and place a small space heater inside aimed right at the pipes. It would always take several hours, but eventually I would get a trickle of water, and an hour or so later the water would be running normally again.

I would never have been able to use the hairdryer trick because it always took HOURS to thaw the pipes (wouldn't a hair dryer burn out before then, since it's normally used only a few minutes at a time?).

OP, what have you tried so far that hasn't worked?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House