Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 01:29 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,458,537 times

Advertisements

Hot water pipes freeze faster than do cold water pipes.

You should always have two faucets trickling in freezing weather: one hot and one cold.

I always run the hot water faucet in the kitchen (and open the cabinet doors there too). I also have one of the cold water faucets in the bathrooms running.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 01:53 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,831,949 times
Hot water pipes freeze faster than do cold water pipes. - Why is that.... just curious?

Old 01-10-2014, 02:03 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,458,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
Hot water pipes freeze faster than do cold water pipes. - Why is that.... just curious?

Because hot water usually freezes faster than cold water. It has to do with the Mpemba effect. I'm not going to go into the long, detailed explanation here. If you're really interested, you can google it.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:05 PM

105 posts, read 137,278 times
Thank you all.

We rent, so we cant change the layout of the pipes. We are not able to reach the pipes because they are inside a wall which faces outside. So I guess just running the water will help.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:07 PM

105 posts, read 137,278 times
By the way, right now we rent from a private person. If pipes froze in an apartment complex, would maintenance help?

Old 01-11-2014, 08:18 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,564,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Check your basement/foundation walls for any holes or cracks that allow wind/cold air to blow on your pipes. In really cold weather like this, you should be sure that the vents for your crawl space are closed to keep the wind out.

Lots of times pipes freeze between a heated basement and an unheated crawl space if the seals between the two spaces aren't tight.
Not only will it keep the wind out but the heat from the ground will help thaw the pipes out too. If your pipes are frozen, the first thing to do is turn your faucets on. This will relieve pressure on your water lines. I'm speaking from experience on both of these methods.

But, the main thing is, after your water is running again, get all the pipes under the house checked out. There could just be a small water leak, but if not caught early, the normal water pressure will spread that break even more.

Good luck!

Old 01-12-2014, 01:32 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,226,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac11 View Post
By the way, right now we rent from a private person. If pipes froze in an apartment complex, would maintenance help?
Unless a tenant hasn't kept the heat on or left something open that should be closed, pipes that are able to freeze is a matter of not having them adequately protected.
It would be the responsibility of the property owner in either case.
This is not to say that a tenant should not do what they can to help prevent it, especially in cases like this last cold spell when freezing may never have been a problem before.

Old 01-08-2015, 12:45 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,824,301 times
It got down to 13 last night and even though I left my indoor faucets running, the kitchen and master bath froze up. I have got the heat up pretty high and have a space heater aimed into the under-sink kitchen cabinet. It is almost 2PM and nothing is moving yet. In the master bath only hot water will run.

Phooey! And I am coming down with the flu or something. Snivel, pis$, and moan.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:54 AM

906 posts, read 1,768,930 times
Oh lord, this thread is giving me bad memories of winter last year. We got to -30F at times, and our kitchen sink supplies froze. The pipes were behind cabinetry, so I left a hair dryer on for HOURS in the cabinet that was immediately above the pipes in question and it eventually thawed. We have since had a plumber re-route the supplies to a more interior location without any issues this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House