Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 12:58 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,211,609 times

Advertisements

Check your basement/foundation walls for any holes or cracks that allow wind/cold air to blow on your pipes. In really cold weather like this, you should be sure that the vents for your crawl space are closed to keep the wind out.

Lots of times pipes freeze between a heated basement and an unheated crawl space if the seals between the two spaces aren't tight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 02:27 PM

23,175 posts, read 26,226,903 times
More heat than a hair dryer and safer than a blowtorch is a heat gun

Old 01-07-2014, 02:30 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,649,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
At my last house, before I remodeled the kitchen (contractor brought most of the pipes "inside") my kitchen pipes would freeze when temps got really low. It was pretty scary to get up, go to the kitchen, turn on a faucet, and have absolutely nothing happen. I would open the cabinet doors and place a small space heater inside aimed right at the pipes. It would always take several hours, but eventually I would get a trickle of water, and an hour or so later the water would be running normally again.

I would never have been able to use the hairdryer trick because it always took HOURS to thaw the pipes (wouldn't a hair dryer burn out before then, since it's normally used only a few minutes at a time?).

OP, what have you tried so far that hasn't worked?
Did your heater have a fan built into it? The reason I ask is because air circulation makes a huge difference. It's the reason why in cold weather, it's that much colder when the wind blows. Circulation increases the transfer of heat.

However, I would also worry about burning up a hair dryer attempting to thaw pipes. I'd wrap a heating pad around the pipe and a couple of towels around the heating pad.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:27 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,706,091 times
If you have a welder and metal pipes you can clamp the leads to each end of the frozen section and set it to low amperage, like 40 amps. Careful, you don't want to melt the solder joints, so don't be putting 100 amps into it to get it to thaw faster.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:30 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,372,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
If you have a welder and metal pipes you can clamp the leads to each end of the frozen section and set it to low amperage, like 40 amps. Careful, you don't want to melt the solder joints, so don't be putting 100 amps into it to get it to thaw faster.
I remember my father doing that.....

Old 01-07-2014, 04:26 PM

9,694 posts, read 10,033,758 times
You can get thermal electrical heating raps which you coil around the pipe , as long as there is no cracks there is no water damage on rugs or walls, if there is cracks then shut the water off .... If a pipe drain water in the sink then let the water run slow. Which will melt the pipe .... Keep a small heater in any room that has water pipes during the cold days

Old 01-07-2014, 05:21 PM

162 posts, read 461,231 times
We woke up to no water in our house which is unbelievable since this is North Carolina in the Triangle area. We put a hot hair dryer on the pipes leading to the house and meter outside. All the pipes in the house were warm so I think its frozen outside. The pipes in the crawlspace are also warm and its well insulated. Nothing thawed all day and still no water at all. I called the plumber and he said it must be a line underground and we would just have to wait for it to thaw. It's supposed to warm up tomorrow afternoon and be in the 60s by Saturday. Do you think I need to worry about a broken pipe or line out in the yard once this thaws? This is making me a nervous wreck. Thanks so much!

Old 01-07-2014, 08:29 PM

2,941 posts, read 4,134,727 times
In parts of NC they don't bury a lot of water lines very deep so it's highly likely that it did freeze underground. I would leave the water of at least one tap in the on position (kitchen sink maybe - drawing a little hot and cold water) and make sure all of the pipes inside your house stay warm.

It's always a good idea in periods of extreme cold to let your faucets drip overnight. Keeping the water moving keeps it from freezing solid. I had one problem wall at my old house and I found that just letting the hot water drip was enough to keep both pipes warm (since they ran just a few inches apart). The hot dripping water was just enough to keep the hot water pipe from going cold and gave off just enough heat to keep the cold water line from freezing.

Good Luck.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:45 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,102,593 times
If it's really confined space you could use an incandescent bulb to keep it warm... oh wait a minute.

If I had space like that prone to freezing I'd probably get one of those little ceramic heaters or use it in place of hair dryer.

Long term if the pipes are not insulated that's the first thing you should be doing.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:03 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,234,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Careful, you don't want to melt the solder joints, so don't be putting 100 amps into it to get it to thaw faster.
If a welder can actually melt solder joints on a pipe with water in it, I need to get one. Just had to replace a valve (did it just in time -- it was the shutoff for an outdoor faucet, and if it had remained unfixed the faucet would be an icicle at best), and since the thing was installed with the handle down, getting the water out was a nightmare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House