Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2013, 11:59 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,501,834 times

Advertisements

I cannot do it on my own so I have to find someone. What would you suggest? Find a handyman or something? And usually how much I would be looking to spend? Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 12:09 AM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
Best bet would be a handyman and depending on what limited info you gave it probably would cost you between $50.00 and $100.00.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:02 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,574,700 times
I had a roofing company for many years and I`ll tell you what I did in a situation like yours. I had a minimum charge of $200 for anything. In a case like yours I would replace the missing shingles and give the entire roof and gutters a TUNEUP. I would check the entire roof over, seal all vents, fixtures and flashings, clean the gutters and seal any leaks. I would give you a written report on the condition of the roof and a quote on replacing the roof.

If you were old, disabled or very poor I would do this service for free.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:18 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,501,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Best bet would be a handyman and depending on what limited info you gave it probably would cost you between $50.00 and $100.00.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I had a roofing company for many years and I`ll tell you what I did in a situation like yours. I had a minimum charge of $200 for anything. In a case like yours I would replace the missing shingles and give the entire roof and gutters a TUNEUP. I would check the entire roof over, seal all vents, fixtures and flashings, clean the gutters and seal any leaks. I would give you a written report on the condition of the roof and a quote on replacing the roof.

That's the problem. I called two and both said they'd charge flat $249 or something to just go on the roof. I understand they will have to drive and come but this is a bit much for 3-4 shingles. Usually I do all stuff myself but this is a bit risky as roof is high and I don't really have stuff that I should have to do it safely.

Yes I guess I'll ask them to do the same as that way at least some work will be done.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:48 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,073,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
That's the problem. I called two and both said they'd charge flat $249 or something to just go on the roof. I understand they will have to drive and come but this is a bit much for 3-4 shingles. Usually I do all stuff myself but this is a bit risky as roof is high and I don't really have stuff that I should have to do it safely.

Yes I guess I'll ask them to do the same as that way at least some work will be done.
I understand your frustration, but do the math.

The contractor has to interrupt another job, or leave early to take care of your PIA job. An hour to organize and get there. A couple of hours to set up ladders, diagnose the problem develop a solution, oh damn....the homeowner doesn't have any spare shingles, trip to roofing store to beg a handful of shingles so no one has to buy an entire bundle, back to the house, up on the roof to remove the old shingles, fix the underlayment, upend the flashing, lay down the new shingles, relay the flashing, seal the joint, pick up the mess, reload the ladders, listen while you bend his ear for thirty minutes, get paid (maybe), drop off the old shingles at a job site dumpster, go back to garage and unload ladders or secure truck.

How long? Think it could be done in four hours? Okay. Four hours at $50/per. That's $200. You're pizzed. Roofer doesn't make a dime after costs.

Nobody wins in these situations. But they have to be dealt with. Pay the $250 or whatever fixed fee, treat the guy well, grin and bare it.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:52 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,741,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
I understand your frustration, but do the math.

The contractor has to interrupt another job, or leave early to take care of your PIA job. An hour to organize and get there. A couple of hours to set up ladders, diagnose the problem develop a solution, oh damn....the homeowner doesn't have any spare shingles, trip to roofing store to beg a handful of shingles so no one has to buy an entire bundle, back to the house, up on the roof to remove the old shingles, fix the underlayment, upend the flashing, lay down the new shingles, relay the flashing, seal the joint, pick up the mess, reload the ladders, listen while you bend his ear for thirty minutes, get paid (maybe), drop off the old shingles at a job site dumpster, go back to garage and unload ladders or secure truck.

How long? Think it could be done in four hours? Okay. Four hours at $50/per. That's $200. You're pizzed. Roofer doesn't make a dime after costs.

Nobody wins in these situations. But they have to be dealt with. Pay the $250 or whatever fixed fee, treat the guy well, grin and bare it.
Good point. It sucks to pay $250, but it will suck even worse if you get water damage inside the house due to missing shingles

Old 10-09-2016, 01:59 PM

1 posts, read 11,245 times
looking for someone to replace (4) shingles

Old 10-09-2016, 02:15 PM

22,571 posts, read 47,633,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cturner83 View Post
looking for someone to replace (4) shingles
Follow the advice above.

Old 10-09-2016, 02:23 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,750,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post

Where does one find people like that. Wow good for you

Old 10-09-2016, 02:43 PM

22,571 posts, read 47,633,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Where does one find people like that. Wow good for you
The person you quoted has not been on CD for about 3 and a half years... don't expect an answer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House