Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 11:06 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times

Advertisements

Following storm damage last year, had the barn roof replaced late November - early December. Following a complete tear-off of the T-lock asphalt shingles, sheathing was added followed by roofing felt and new 30-year, 3-tab asphalt shingles.

This spring we began to notice buckling on the North side of the roof as shown in the following images. Contractor is asking that we give the shingles time to lay flat but I think we are getting a run around and the issue is with the application of the felt below the shingles. Not sure if there is moisture/vapor trapped beneath or that the felt was not laid flat.

Anybody have any ideas what would cause this? Contractor is pretty reputable and I believe they will make things right but wanted to have more insight as I proceed.

Last edited by Ghengis; 05-21-2012 at 11:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 11:41 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
What I see is interesting-
There seems to be a repeating pattern of the buckling. It would appear to be the long ends of the sheathing and the one rafter off-set from one course to the next.
I'm quite certain that if it were the roofing felt it would be a more random buckling, without pattern.

The only way to know for sure is to open up the roofing at a buckle and see. From there it should be a pretty straight-foreword decision as to correction. Maybe even get a manufacturer's field rep involved to be sure.

But I really think it's the sheathing-

Old 05-21-2012, 12:03 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
I agree -- if not the sheathing ends then maybe some issue with rafters -- what is the spacing on the framing of this structure? Get out a tape measure and check the distance, also looks to be to about every 8 ft, and that would be awfully suspicious... If the rafters are wicking moisture and /or allowing heat to radiate into the roof and cause localized issues with ice that would result in the same kind of pattern as seen in the photo...

Old 05-21-2012, 01:26 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
If you know the brand of shingles, I would turn in a claim to the maker directly. Besides the decking that appears to be whacko, it looks like a couple of other application issues. Having the manufacturers rep take a look will tell you everything you need to know.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:37 PM

first pics were taken this am at around 7, these are from about 2pm...

inside of the barn at the same location, rafters/trusses(?) look to be about 24" OC and sheathing ends are not readily visible from inside so I think they are seemed on top of the rafters/trusses(?), the sheathing appears to be lying flat throughout.

Service ticket refers to sheathing as; 1/2" - radiant barrier - OSB

Old 05-21-2012, 02:46 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
Review the installation procedures at this link for the OSB Radiant Barrier:
Georgia-Pacific Thermostat Oriented Strand Board (OSB) Radiant Barrier Sheathing

You'll need to click on the link to see the installation but it would appear that all of the OSB is installed with the foil side to the outside. That works for walls but not for the ceiling. If it's installed in any other manner- it's wrong per manufacturer.

I'd still recommend having the roofing manufacturers rep looking at it. There's only so much we're going to be able to see with pics and obviously something isn't right. It may be the radiant barrier collecting moisture under the felt causing it to lift the shingles in the AM but by PM it's laying right. That's why you need the rep to look and he can also advise you about the OSB installation. The inspection doesn't cost you anything but yer time.
Asphalt Roofing Manufacturers Association - Your Source for Asphalt Roofing Information

Old 05-21-2012, 03:54 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Yep, definitely the sheathing.
And definitely installed wrong- foil-side goes to the inside. And since the the sheathing was installed incorrectly, the shingle manufacturer isn't going to warranty the shingle- it's all on your roofing contractor. Hope he stands behind his words.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:50 PM
QIS

920 posts, read 5,145,620 times
TrapperL is right on the money: call the manufacturer now! Just tell them what is happening,let them look at it and provide you with their findings. This is not a small job. The repeated expansion and contraction cycle will cause cracks. Please let us know what happens!

Old 05-21-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Yep, definitely the sheathing.
And definitely installed wrong- foil-side goes to the inside. And since the the sheathing was installed incorrectly, the shingle manufacturer isn't going to warranty the shingle- it's all on your roofing contractor. Hope he stands behind his words.
in spite of what the work order says, I am almost positive they did not use a foil backed sheathing on this, will have to see if I can find any images I may have taken but I think I would have remembered seeing the foil as they were working their way up the roof. While they were pretty quick to roll out the felt as they were going, Mrs G was here and does not recall seeing foil either. Not sure it would have been required on an unheated barn and there was a permit pulled.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:07 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Kewl! My bet is that if you took an infrared thermal image, you would find the buckles are hotter than the rest of the roof and where heat and moisture are escaping through gaps in the sheathing. I zink, my friend, you need a couplea cupolas and a nice weathervane and lightning rods. Nice barn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House