Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 12:31 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,426,660 times

Advertisements

Its easy to see if the OSB has foil. Put a ladder up to the edge, lift up the bottom shingle, and you will see the felt, and if the OSB has foil or not.

Shingles do not need a lot of time to lay flat, especially in warm/hot temps.

Loks like an installation problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 09:54 AM

11,531 posts, read 30,443,037 times
Hot air rises; cold air falls. Generally speaking shingles that buckle, curl and flake are a result of heat build up inside the attic. No vents or not enough vents to release the internal heat create the buckle. Heat rises and shingles bake like a cake in an oven. Talk to your lawyer. He will know who you should contact first. Or call an engineer. The cost is the same. The engineer will give you a written report. A report from Joe Blow will not hold as much weight in a court as does a report from the engineer.

Generally speaking Most roofs have a layer of felt on top of the decking. Heat barriers is in the attic on the underside of the decking to act as home insulation. With proper attic insulation you don't have hot and cold zones in your house.

Insulation in an extremely cold or extremely hot region of the U.S. may different from the middle Midwest where I live. In any case, on or more somethings is wrong, and you need an expert on insulating buildings to examine it to determine who or what is at fault. . .

Old 06-06-2012, 12:15 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,261,768 times
If that is indeed radiant barrier decking then its indeed installed wrong. If OP does a web search on radiant barrier roof decking he/she will find this.I would think placing the foiled side between shingle and decking would indeed heat the under side of the shingles very hot.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:40 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,304,783 times
thanks for the replies but once again, the OSB was not radiant barrier decking, it should be apparent why it was marked as such.

have spoken with the contractor and he is committed to resolving the issue. those that have deduced that it is a venting issue are correct. Contractor is prepared to install the necessary vents but at my request they are looking into the installation of the necessary cuppolas as an alternative. Am also working with a lightening protection contractor to install that system as well.

will update as we move forward...

Last edited by Ghengis; 06-07-2012 at 11:12 AM..

Old 06-07-2012, 12:45 PM
QIS

919 posts, read 5,178,324 times
Thanks for the update! I still feel that you should contact the shingle manufacturer. It appears that you replaced a shake or shingle roof and added sheathing,underlayment, and comp shingles. I would want to have the manufacturer look into the structure and the shingle performance issues entirely distinct from what the roofer says. There is no shame in doing so and I feel a good roofer should welcome, and in fact, would be well advised to contact them personally to make sure the job gets done right this time.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QIS View Post
Thanks for the update! I still feel that you should contact the shingle manufacturer. It appears that you replaced a shake or shingle roof and added sheathing,underlayment, and comp shingles. I would want to have the manufacturer look into the structure and the shingle performance issues entirely distinct from what the roofer says. There is no shame in doing so and I feel a good roofer should welcome, and in fact, would be well advised to contact them personally to make sure the job gets done right this time.
thanks, actually the same contractor overlayed (at the time code acceptable) the shakes about 17 years ago with a T-lock shingle that performed great until last summer when I loss less than a dozen or so from the peak above the mow access door when hit by straight line winds that tore up hundreds of trees in the area and a dozen or so in our yard.

T-locks were no longer available and so we had to start from scratch with a complete tear-off.

intend to have the mfg. out to validate the warranty.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:32 PM
QIS

919 posts, read 5,178,324 times
Definitely have them check it ALL out from foundation to peak ! I would think that they would have some helpful suggestions....
Do you mean they put comp shingles over cedar shakes 17 years ago? or was it cedar shingles>?

Old 06-07-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QIS View Post
Definitely have them check it ALL out from foundation to peak ! I would think that they would have some helpful suggestions....
Do you mean they put comp shingles over cedar shakes 17 years ago? or was it cedar shingles>?
these are the t-locks (shakes underneath) from '06 and at about ten years of age...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House