Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2012, 05:40 AM

22 posts, read 65,828 times

Advertisements

I moved into the apartment in April 2011 and is my first place on my own. I live on the first floor of a garden-style apartment.

About 5 or 6 weeks after moving in there was termites that left multiple "tubes" in my living and dining room. They had to treat twice and the second time they had to drill holes in the wall to apply the spray directly into the wall. No problem with the termites since that.

Over the summer, the ventilation fan in the bathroom started leaking about a drop of water every 5 or so seconds for several days. I called maintenance and they fixed it. I've no idea what caused the leak, but I assume it was one of my neighbors.

Besides that, there was that East Coast earthquake (I live about 70 miles north of it) and a lot of rain (including 4-5" in less than 4 hours) in September after leftovers of several Tropical Storms. Which might or might not have any affect whatsoever, but I'm sure it didn't help matters any.

Now, maintenance has replaced the caulking twice around my toilet. Now, the edge of vinyl tile has randomly started to peel up from it meets the base of the toilet. I called maintenance to tell them on Wednesday afternoon. Later that night, I saw some weird shadow/line about 6 inches or so away from the toilet. I ran my foot across it and there was some bulging/buckling on both sides, as well as the front of the toilet.

I went to check other places in my apartment and there is also the same damage where my kitchen meets the washer/dryer area. There is a metal folding door that separates the area and the damage is on both sides of the door track. There are seems to be some spots where scratches and bubbles appearing in the kitchen.

Maintenance came over Friday and asked me if I wanted to wait until I move for them to replace the tile. I told them, I'm pretty sure there's some water damage somehow and would it would be nice to check it for sure before it gets worse. They said they are doing some regularly scheduled preventive maintenance and they will lift up the toilet to check for it. Hopefully, I won't get charged for it because I can't think of anyway I caused it.

I've never overflowed anything in my apartment. I use Swiffer WetJet on vinyl floors, which is safe to use on it. I clean any spills within 5 minutes of them happening.

I've only done slight damage I've done to my apartment. There was some pillow marks that I tried cleaning with a Magic Eraser, which just spread it over. I plan on painting over it before I move. When I was moving my couch, it left a 5-inch long scratch on the wall which should be fixed with some joint compound (or even just spackling) and putty knife. The last thing was when I was in a rush I forget to unlock the door chain on my way out and the screws/plate came out of the door frame which I'll fix with some wood glue.

I participate in Section 8 and am trying to port my voucher from a suburb of DC to Washington, DC itself. I have my annual inspection coming up in early February to make sure that the apartment is in good working order. I plan to fix all my damages before I move at the end of March. I'm worried that my apartment complex will blame or bill me and/or Housing will fail the current apartment when they inspect it.

I'm completely stressed over trying to move my Section 8 voucher to DC and making sure that the appropriate people get the paperwork, so I can find a apartment. Plus the bulging/buckling, and dealing with social security not showing any income or my current legal name. Is there any suggestions anyone can offer me with dealing the buckling in my apartment?
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House