Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2007, 08:43 PM

1,032 posts, read 4,263,111 times

Advertisements

We just moved into a new house with lots of nice big windows that we need to cover.

i had someone come out to measure and give us an estimate, and when they called today with the quote, I nearly passed out - $6,600

That's crazy! I mena, I knew window covering were expensive, but we're just talking blinds here, not custome drapery!

Anyway, does anyone have a budget blinds retailer that they recommend? I don't want to install them myself because the windows are too big and I'ma fraid it would be off.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 05:15 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
I have had good luck at Target, Home Depot and Menards for blinds. JC Penney usually has a good sale on blinds. You might want to consider going with roller shades in the less public rooms for now, kid bedrooms, etc. Ask your neighbors for a suggestion for a handy man in the area that can install them for you.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:05 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,692,521 times
We bought 2-inch faux wood blinds at Lowe's for about $30 each. DH installed them, and they look great. I know Lowe's can also install them, not sure how much it costs. I know it's relatively cheap though.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:14 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,540,967 times
We recently moved into a new house and went with the faux wood plantation style blinds. They sell them at all the big box home improvement stores. If you bring in your window measurments, they will cut them to the exact size for you at no extra charge. Many of my windows are 60 inches wide and they had them big enough. They were easy to install, my husband did the whole house in a few hours. It cost about $400 to do our entire 2,000 sq. ft. house.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:19 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,377,022 times
We had budget blinds do our big windows with arches. I am planning on getting the other windows done ourselves except for the bathroom windows I want shutters so will have them do that for the custom fit. I was amazed at the prices as well but my mom seems to think that I paid a good price, $900. for 8 blinds, they did come with the valances to match, I also went with the faux wood.

Old 11-10-2007, 11:08 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyLiz View Post
We just moved into a new house with lots of nice big windows that we need to cover.

i had someone come out to measure and give us an estimate, and when they called today with the quote, I nearly passed out - $6,600

That's crazy! I mena, I knew window covering were expensive, but we're just talking blinds here, not custome drapery!

Anyway, does anyone have a budget blinds retailer that they recommend? I don't want to install them myself because the windows are too big and I'ma fraid it would be off.

Thanks!!
Depends on what you mean by "big windows". I know drapes for big windows (i.e. two stories high and very wide) and it cost $10k just for that ONE window... as for regular blinds, they can be expensive too... but if you want expensive drapes for 1/10 the price (cheaper than even the blinds!) is to travel overseas and then boxing them up and taking them back home and you get a vacation to boot (just don't pack too much).

Old 11-10-2007, 08:05 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Definitely get wooden blinds if possible aluminum and vinyl blinds won't last as long and be as durable. The install ispretty much straight forward and the main concern is making sure you get the proper size or one that is only slightly larger so you can cut them to size.

Old 11-12-2007, 06:39 AM

16 posts, read 81,815 times
Default Shades

We went with pull down shades from Home Depot. They are fine. In the beginning we had trouble getting them cut to the specified size. Many of their employees do not know how to operate their cutting machine and seem to have difficulty measuring. Be sure to use one of the old-timers.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:26 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Little tip... before ordering anything, go to google, put in the name of the store with coupon code. For JC Penney, it would look like this. You can also try signing up at the site you plan to use to see if they give email discounts.

With coupon codes, I've found that some times free shipping isn't as good as a 15% discount. What I usually do is add the stuff to my cart, put in the coupon code, then make like I'm placing the order to see the discount. I use two browsers (IE & Firefox) so I can have the orders in each browser to compare.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:33 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
I'm still a curtain type person. It seems to make a home feel more warm, cozy. But I still love seeing out my windows and getting in as much light as possible...so I am going with the valance or swags. And I like it in a light, sheer type material. Just enough to frame the window but still give the cozy feeling. We also got the pull down "black-out" shades for night time and privacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House