Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 06:35 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,456,406 times

Advertisements

Since we are going to be getting into the heating season I think it would be a nice thread to talk about how to cut energy cost. I would like to start this thread to give everyone ideas on how to save money/energy for the heating season that can also lead into energy saving year round. It would be nice if folks have tips on how to save energy backed up with data or websites.

I ask kindly for folks to post data only and not politics/arguments/name calling. As always people will have a difference of opinions which is fine to discuss, but please keep it formal and mature.

I will start with my background. I am a Maintenance Superintendent with a large company here in Charlotte with a deep background in the Charlotte area.

Here are some useful sites and information about energy savings i have acquired over time:

First we have the light bulb calculator:

Light Bulb Calculator

Next up we have a weather site with extensive historical data on previous weather information:

Welcome to The Weather Underground : Weather Underground
Weather and forecast information on WeatherBug.com
National and Local Weather Forecast, Radar, Map and Report

Next up we have some info for an air conditioning/heating purchase to get system efficiencies and other information from the leading authority on HVAC testing and certifying. You may notice this sticker on any piece of equipment you will purchase in the US as they certify them. You will need the model numbers of the equipment you are planning on purchasing:

ARI Directory of Certified Product Performance (broken link)
This is the explanation of how those numbers are figured(warning technical and long)
http://www.ari.org/NR/rdonlyres/CE3D72C1-1D53-432B-A3E0-BD0FE39DAB6A/0/2102402006.pdf (broken link)
(This is also the standard that is used to certify your HVAC/R equipment)

Next we have a load calculation program. The reason why this is so important is the correct size of an HVAC/R system is critical for performance/efficiency/longevity of the HVAC/R system:

HVAC Software, HVAC-Calc for Heat Loss, Heat Load Calculations

Next up we have some information on water heaters. (Warning! if you are unsure of how or what to do to perform maintenance on your water heater then call a professional!) Routine maintenance on your water heater will prolong the life and keep your cost down to a minimum.

Water heater Anode Rods
Water Heaters - Check out our carpet and disaster recovery tips!

Next up we have some more info on HVAC/R this time from the ACCA (Air Conditioning Contractors of America):

Consumer Information

Next we have a history of the brands since a lot of folks seem to think certain brands are better than others:

History of the Industry Brands

Next we have HVAC/R terms for helping to understand HVAC/R talk:

http://www.mcquay.com/eprsup/mcquaycom/parts/terms.pdf

Next we have the wonderful Energy Star website which everyone probably already knows about: (tons of information on here)

Home : ENERGY STAR
Central Air Conditioners : ENERGY STAR

Next we have a checklist for making your home energy efficient:

http://www.uniongas.com/wiseenergy/w...cklist2005.pdf

Next we have a "Why are clean coils important" site:

Ductworks Inc. - Coil Cleaning (http://www.ductworks.com/commercialservices/coilcleaning.htm - broken link)

Next we have some info on placing your air handler in the attic:

Florida Solar Energy Center

Next up we have another consumer information website from ASHRAE: (The American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers)

Top Ten Things Consumers Should Know About Air Conditioning
AC Top Ten (http://www.ashrae.org/education/page/1455#3 - broken link)

Next we have info from the EPA:

Duct cleaning

Should You Have the Air Ducts in Your Home Cleaned? | Publications | Indoor Air | Air | US EPA
Ozone Generators
Ozone Generators that are Sold as Air Cleaners | Publications | Indoor Air | Air | US EPA

Next up we have some information from the DOE:

Home
Department of Energy - Your Home
Car
Department of Energy - Your Car
How to Beat High Gasoline Prices
Department of Energy - Beating High Energy Prices (http://www.doe.gov/3464.htm - broken link)
Tax credits
Department of Energy - Tax Breaks

Questions about an install or service issue:

HVAC-Talk: Heating, Air & Refrigeration Discussion - Powered by vBulletin

And other various .pdf's:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Carbon Monoxide Information.pdf (37.9 KB, 999 views)
File Type: pdf Charlotte CO Requirements.pdf (97.3 KB, 453 views)
File Type: pdf Bigger is Not Better Sizing Air Conditioners Properly.pdf (235.6 KB, 556 views)
File Type: pdf Efficiency Explinations.pdf (282.2 KB, 560 views)
File Type: pdf Energy-Efficient Air Conditioning.pdf (232.3 KB, 833 views)
File Type: pdf Filter Particle Size Removal Efficiency.pdf (186.5 KB, 714 views)
File Type: pdf Sizing & Selecting for Proper Humidity Control.pdf (63.6 KB, 1050 views)
File Type: pdf CARE-Newsletter3-07.pdf (111.9 KB, 516 views)

Last edited by BigJon3475; 11-07-2007 at 07:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 06:41 PM

You may ask why so much information on HVAC equipment. Your heating and air conditioning equipment accounts for approximately 70% of your power bill. Plus I'm a little partial since I actually find HVAC very interesting

Okay I'm done let the discussion begin
Attached Files
File Type: pdf mismatch.pdf (19.3 KB, 2827 views)
File Type: pdf perfectmatch.pdf (163.9 KB, 564 views)
File Type: pdf PerfectMatchbrochurelowres.pdf (304.9 KB, 1371 views)
File Type: pdf PerfectMatchPDFBW.pdf (353.2 KB, 371 views)
File Type: pdf York on matching systems.pdf (275.1 KB, 425 views)
File Type: pdf brusha.pdf (153.4 KB, 5428 views)

Old 11-07-2007, 06:52 PM

95 posts, read 385,936 times
Thanks for the info...I started today and called the gas company to test my equipment to make sure I am not wasting gas. It was more because I owed alot this last year. My wife and I have talked about trying to go Green. I started yesterday unplugging chargers ( cell phones, unused appliances and electronics, Etc.) I will look more at your list and see what pertains to my house.
We need to start doing our part especially seeing reality with water shortage.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKNHomePro View Post
Thanks for the info...I started today and called the gas company to test my equipment to make sure I am not wasting gas. It was more because I owed alot this last year. My wife and I have talked about trying to go Green. I started yesterday unplugging chargers ( cell phones, unused appliances and electronics, Etc.) I will look more at your list and see what pertains to my house.
We need to start doing our part especially seeing reality with water shortage.

This might be a useful tool for you.

T.E.D. : Electricity Monitor, Energy Monitor (http://www.theenergydetective.com/index.html - broken link)

Make sure your water level in your toilets are as low as needed for a proper flush. Make sure you have water saving aerators for the sink faucets and shower heads have the lowest flow that's acceptable to you. Obviously washing laundry loads you want to do as much as you can at one time per load but this is pretty well known. If you never run out of hat water then you may want to look into cutting the thermostat down a little at a time until you find you run out then cut it back up slightly. Cutting the ice maker off when you have an acceptable level of ice to keep you happy is a decent idea although won't save much water it does save on the life of the ice maker and having unneeded ice. I just look at everything that uses water and see how I can go about limiting what it uses. But I'll be honest this isn't my specialty although I have a good bit of exp. with it.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:48 PM

373 posts, read 1,471,872 times
BigJon

Great info! Do you use, or have you used the T.E.D.?

Old 11-07-2007, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCruzes View Post
BigJon

Great info! Do you use, or have you used the T.E.D.?

I haven't personally but I have heard many great things about it. I cut everything off when not in use and use just enough lights (at night) so I can function.

You can read more about it's actual use here:

HVAC-Talk: Heating, Air & Refrigeration Discussion - Search Results

Old 11-08-2007, 07:37 AM

Thanks for moving the thread after posting it in the Charlotte area I thought that may have been a mistake.

Some more comparison information on different brands:

A/C OUTDOOR UNIT COMPARISON

Old 11-08-2007, 04:08 PM

1 posts, read 6,263 times
Default Little things

Don't use a fan in the bathroom during the winter during and after a shower. It sucks heat and moisture outside.

Turn the brightness down on your monitors and tvs.

If you do heavy searching on the web use a darker search engine like enesearch.com which is Google but darker.

Just a small list of many many little things you can do...

Old 11-08-2007, 06:23 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,849,411 times
Very nice post... i gave you a rep

Old 11-08-2007, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg19er View Post
Don't use a fan in the bathroom during the winter during and after a shower. It sucks heat and moisture outside.

I agree also I would like to add my opinion. Just my thoughts on it.

In the summer where you don't want humidity for comfort reason you would want to run the fan only during showering time. It helps keep the latent heat (humidity) out of your conditioned air. Shut it off as soon as the shower is done though.

In the winter time where humidity levels are already extremely low you would want that humidity to help with your indoor comfort (more humidity means less dry bulb temps to feel the same comfort level)

I do agree on it sucking conditioned air out of your home and placing it outside other sources of this problem are dryers, range hoods that vent outside and any other exhaust type fan that pulls conditioned air from inside and places it outside.

My test:

In the summer where humidity levels are around 50% inside with a inside dry bulb of around 70-72º a 7-10 minute shower brings my relative humidity to 60% with everything else still the same without running the exhaust fan. With the exhaust fan running my RH only gets to about 53-55% during that same showering time. In the winter time it adds humidity to a level of around 10% which allows me to keep my thermostat about 2º cooler until fresh air from infiltration brings that RH back to a balanced level.

Of course all this doesn't take into account the infiltration rate of your home. If it's exceptional you need to try and bring fresh air in anyways at a rate of around 25% per hour.....meaning your replacing 25% of your air with fresh air for IAQ per ASHRAE standards. If you cannot achieve this you need some sort of mechanical means to bring in fresh air.....usually a fresh air intake the supplies your air handler depending on outside weather conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House