Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2013, 02:03 PM

3,738 posts, read 4,923,562 times

Advertisements

Just had them come and check my heat pump and it is completely out of freon. He found the leak which is on top of some tank looking thing inside the outdoor unit. He says it can't be fixed due to where it is and a rusty tank. He said it would cost about 500 to recharge the system and that is probably a good bit to pay for not knowing how long it will last. I kind of agree. $200 I would have had him charge it up but 500 is a bit much. He showed me the bubbling on top of the rusted tank and it looked like a good sized leak. Of course, what do I know?
So, I need a new unit. He also said that since mine is an R22 unit they will also have to change the other part of it which is in the crawl space as they all use a newer freon (410?) now. At least he stated that my duct work doesn't have to be changed. I guess heat pumps are 2-part units?

I am waiting on an official estimate, which I should have tomorrow. He just said a rough idea is around $5000.00. It is a york unit in a 1100 sq/ft one story rancher. I don't know what size. He took the numbers off for an estimate.

Any ideas on what I should question? Would any brand or size unit be able to fit up to existing metal ducting or would it have to be the same brand and size? Just asking as I'm wondering if another brand might be less. Or perhaps go to a smaller unit if this is oversize. I have no idea whether york is a cheap unit or a more pricey one. This is all new to me and I'm looking for advice as to what to expect. Also, are there usually hidden costs that always get added to an estimate after the work is finished? Or are estimates usually pretty close? Just wondering as things have gotten tight this year due to major medical issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 02:11 PM

34,276 posts, read 83,632,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
(long story short) He just said a rough idea is around $5000.00.
It'll be hard to find/get a new anything HVAC related for less.

Quote:
I have no idea whether york is a cheap unit or a more pricey one.
I've never owned one. LINK

Old 07-01-2013, 06:06 PM

29,920 posts, read 39,601,187 times
https://www.acca.org/consumer/home-choosing

https://www.acca.org/Files/?id=186

York is fine. What you need to be looking for though is a quality contractor that will use data and tried and true practices to guarantee your comfort and satisfaction.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:07 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,588,634 times
By tank looking thing do you mean accumulator? Those are pretty cheap and if the system is already empty they don't have to pump it down. Depending on age of unit I would start calling around...

Old 07-01-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
By tank looking thing do you mean accumulator? Those are pretty cheap and if the system is already empty they don't have to pump it down. Depending on age of unit I would start calling around...
I have no idea. It is a metal cylinder that he showed me some pretty good bubbling coming out of it. It's the larger of 2 in the unit, though both are a bit rusty. (going back and reading the work order he called it a "leak on top of the compressor which can't be repaired".) This is all new to me and I am starting the process of learning and getting other quotes before committing.

The heating in the winter and cooling in the summer has gone steadily downhill since I bought the house 2 1/2 years ago. The house was built in 95' and even when I bought it I figured at some point in the near future I would need a new unit.

Last edited by marlinfshr; 07-01-2013 at 10:21 PM..

Old 07-01-2013, 10:56 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,588,634 times
Ah OK the compressor. Plus 18 years old? Yep replace it.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:59 PM

92 posts, read 316,750 times
Is $5000 just to replace the heat pump, or the heat pump, air handler (inside unit) and heating element?

I live in MD as well (Columbia). I was quoted a basic Carrier replacement (heat pump, air handler, and heating element) of a 17 yr old system for about $3800. With replacing just a heat pump, $5000 sounds high, but there may be less choices on the Eastern Shore than over here.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:13 PM

34,276 posts, read 83,632,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randmness View Post
Is $5000 just to replace the heat pump, or the heat pump, air handler (inside unit)
and heating element?
There are 3 main components in an HVAC system:
1) Furnace (gas,oil,electric,etc)... with controls and blower motor --
1a) Or an "Air Handler" cabinet with blower (for a heatpump)
which can/should include a supplementary heat source (strip heaters commonly).
1c) Dual Fuel set up... uses a heat pump coil over a regular furnace.
2) Evaporator Coil... which gets installed between that metal cabinet and the ductwork.
3) Condensing Unit.. which goes outside the house.

A complete job will also involve refrigerant lines, small parts, controls, and sheet metal work.

Quote:
I was quoted a basic Carrier replacement (heat pump, air handler, and heating element)...
No outside condensing unit?

Old 07-02-2013, 01:50 PM

92 posts, read 316,750 times
Sorry for any confusion, and I don't want to de-rail this thread. When I think of HVAC system "parts", I think of it as a split system. Outside is the heat pump or AC unit (containing the compressor) with the indoor unit containing the evaporator, blower, and heating elements. Of course this doesn't apply to all systems, but I thought that's what the OP was mentioning.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:22 PM

That was for everything. 5000 wasn't the official quote. that was just a rough estimate made by the person who came here to check on the system. When he said I needed a new system I asked if he could tell me roughly so I have an idea while waiting on an estimate. And that was for the outside unit as well as whatever is in the crawl space as well. Another company today quoted me 4200 for a 13 seer 2 1/2 ton unit installed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House