Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2010, 04:33 PM

143 posts, read 363,966 times

Advertisements

I do NOT miss the expense of an oil tank - every time the heat ran in my northeastern home, the dollars added up faster than my commute fuel plus tolls! So now I am back a few years in my home state, and I have a heat pump. This appears to be a much more complex heating system...or perhaps I am HVAC challenged. I would not be surprised by the latter.

It vibrates when it turns on-- loud hum, as I am told is common. BUT, I went out to check it tonight and noted something I thought was odd, but maybe one of you who knows can fill me in on this feature. There is a vent on the side that is shooting out hot air!! I'm not trying to heat my yard, so...is this vent necessary for this natural gas/electric AC combo unit, or is this a 'Mayday ! Houston we have a problem!' kind of thing? The air is blowing fine in the house, nice and toasty, just curious if the air coming out the side is normal...

Thank you all,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 05:21 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,901,184 times
Mine does the same thing. It runs fine and all seems well. I always wondered why it does that but the HVAC man said it was a vent. No explanation. So I leave it alone. Maybe there is a better expalnation here.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:43 PM

792 posts, read 4,491,329 times
Heat pump is actually a fairly simple system - it's basically your A/C system running in reverse. But it sounds to me like you have natural gas heat and not a heat pump. In that case the hot air is probably the exhaust from the gas burner. Is the loud hum and vibration coming from the outside box? If so it could be the draft inducer motor, which is basically a fan that brings fresh outside air into the burner - and the noise and vibration could mean that it's seen better days and might need to be replaced eventually. Nothing to be immediately concerned about, just something to be aware of.

Newer, more efficient gas heaters don't vent hot air - instead they have a secondary heat exchanger which wrings every last BTU out of the combustion process so that none is wasted out the vent.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:59 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,321,452 times
Its the exhaust vent for the gas heater - not to worry.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:25 PM

143 posts, read 363,966 times
This is a 2001 model natural gas, so it sounds like I may need to start thinking about a replacement in the next year or so. Maybe get that energy efficient deduction if its still around. thank you one and all!

Old 11-04-2010, 08:27 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,587,193 times
Sounds to me like you have a gaspack instead of a heat pump. The heat coming out of the side is normal. The heat exchanger generally has a 10-year life span.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House