Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 01:53 PM

117 posts, read 256,894 times

Advertisements

Did anyone ever feel real buyers regret after they lived in a new house for almost a year? Did you move again within a couple of years or so? Or did you stay put?

We bought and renovated a home about a year ago. We bought this house because of the good schools and quick commute to work for my husband. However, I don't like our neighborhood or town. It's an upper-class area and we're more of a laidback family. I'm seriously regretting our decision. I really dont fit in here. I'm not worried about resale because it is an affluent town. But how long would you give your new town "a chance"? What if I'm still unhappy in a couple of years?

Oh, our kids our still young. Oldest is 3 yrs old, so changing schools or towns isn't an issue yet.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 02:11 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella05 View Post
Did anyone ever feel real buyers regret after they lived in a new house for almost a year?
Did you move again within a couple of years or so?
I'm sorta half way there now. Two years on.
I bought here for two reasons neither of which have happened.

One of them (health/strength stuff) I still need to resolve regardless of what else happens.
The other? Who knows what might come.

For now... I'm sticking.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:16 PM

117 posts, read 256,894 times
Thanks.
How long will you stick with it? What of you're still unhappy in a year?

Old 06-25-2013, 03:16 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,834,812 times
Default Work at it

1. Go to the park with your children. You will meet other parents.
2. Join an organization. Hysterical Society, Garden Club, book, club, etc.
3. Sign up for this https://nextdoor.com/find-neighborhood/nj/ if appropriate. I think it is great. Very micro.
4. Take a class in something. Art, whatever.
5. Mow your lawn when your neighbor mows their lawn.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:59 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,539,613 times
I would give it at least a year and then if you don't feel like it is a good fit, move on.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:00 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,056,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
1. Go to the park with your children. You will meet other parents.
2. Join an organization. Hysterical Society, Garden Club, book, club, etc.
3. Sign up for this https://nextdoor.com/find-neighborhood/nj/ if appropriate. I think it is great. Very micro.
4. Take a class in something. Art, whatever.
5. Mow your lawn when your neighbor mows their lawn.
LOL, Love the "Hysterical Society" wish they had one in my neighbourhood, I'd fit right in

But, seriously, we moved into a fairly affluent area, nobody does their own yard work, very few Moms at the parks etc.

What I did, even before our daughter started school, was join the PTA. I started volunteering at bookfairs, in the elementary school library etc.
I met several down to earth Moms doing the same. Some of them had preschool kids too. I found several who I had a lot in common and we've been friends ever since.

I sure sympathize with your situation Bella but if you can make it until the kids start school you might find other parents just like you.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

Old 06-25-2013, 09:53 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,885,783 times
There are no unhappy places, only unhappy people.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:41 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,038,973 times
I moved into my first home in 2010. Definitely have regrets. There were just things inwas ignorant to being a first time buyer. I had counted too much on my agent and home inspector looking out for me.

I paid too much for the house, my agent should've checked into what previous owners paid, which was only 3 years earlier. They oaid much less.
Inspector should've seen basement had previous water intrusions. Previous owner stated on disclosure they didn't have water problems. They lied.

I was also desperate to get home buyer credit which was going to end that month. My own fault for rushing. House not worth what I paid, bathroom too small, central air is old and barely works. Tiny garage is useless. Neighbors suck amd homes are too close to mine.

So yeah, I wish id thought things out better and my agent did a better job. I'm staying because I dont think I could get what I paid for the home right now. Wish I could refinance without any fees. 5% isn't bad but wish it was better

Old 06-26-2013, 06:10 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella05 View Post
Did anyone ever feel real buyers regret after they lived in a new house for almost a year? Did you move again within a couple of years or so? Or did you stay put?

We bought and renovated a home about a year ago. We bought this house because of the good schools and quick commute to work for my husband. However, I don't like our neighborhood or town. It's an upper-class area and we're more of a laidback family. I'm seriously regretting our decision. I really dont fit in here. I'm not worried about resale because it is an affluent town. But how long would you give your new town "a chance"? What if I'm still unhappy in a couple of years?

Oh, our kids our still young. Oldest is 3 yrs old, so changing schools or towns isn't an issue yet.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks.
Seven years ago I moved to a small town from a larger one, for the sake of my stepson (better school district). I never really cared much for the town AT ALL. Eventually we bought a second house in a different neighborhood, and the house itself is lovely and comfortable...but I still really dislike the town itself. I am just not a small town girl, I guess.

The nearest larger towns (small cities really - about 100,000 people in one and about 120,000 in another) are within a half hours' drive so that's not so bad. Two very large cities are within an hour or so drive.

I have never bonded with this small town. All my friends are still in the larger town about half an hour away. Anything I do socially is in one of the larger towns. I shop in the larger ones. I feel that all I do is sleep in this house in this neighborhood in this little town I don't care for.

BUT - I say all that to make a point. In spite of not particularly liking this neighborhood or town, I am not UNHAPPY here. I COULD be. I could wake up every day thinking about how much I dislike the neighborhood and this pudunk town. Every time I drove back into the neighborhood, I could roll my eyes and groan. I could grouse to my friends about how much I dislike it.

I had a friend who did this for years. She had moved to a small city from the Fort Worth area. For SEVEN OR EIGHT YEARS every time I was around her, all she talked about was how much she hated her new town, her house, etc - and it showed. She didn't keep the house up well. The yard looked like a jungle. Her disdain and lack of appreciation for where she was and what she had was so blatantly obvious.

I determined right then and there that I would never be like that. My happiness doesn't depend on external things.

So - my stepson has graduated and we've been casually looking at properties and different areas. We can actually live anywhere we want - ANYWHERE - because my husband is self employed. Funny thing is, now that we have that freedom - we can't find anything we like better than our own house! LOL

Get happy where you are. A house, a neighborhood, shouldn't have the power over your emotions to make you happy or unhappy. Once you remove this angst from your psyche, your feeling of quiet desperation will leave and you can relax and truly enjoy looking at your options. That's my advice anyway.

Besides all that - every market and every situation is different, but USUALLY you lose money on a house if you have a mortgage and if you sell it and buy something else within less than five years or so. Of course, the flip side is that if you're going to buy another house, you might want to lock into some of the interest rates that are still very low. A case can be made for either scenario, but my point is - look closely at the financials before you get all determined to move. Don't let emotion override common sense.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:20 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,431,580 times
Unfortunately, you can't really know about your neighbors until you live among them, and then it's too late if they turn out to be unpleasant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House