Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 02:03 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,507,332 times

Advertisements

hmm, we upgraded from 1400 sq feet to 2100 sq feet over a year ago, the added space as well as the fact that we gave away or sold alot of furniture in the moving process meant we have several empty rooms. We just bought blinds for one of the rooms a year and a half later.

The short of it is, like another poster mentioned, furniture isnt really a high priority item for us to buy. we actually did spend quite a bit of a money on a real wood dining room table with 8 chairs and have used it approximatly 4 times in the past year and a half. sure it looks nice sitting there, but I can think of a million other things to spend that kinda money on that would get waaaay more use!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 02:26 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,779,365 times
I think it comes from an ingrained feeling of not being comfortable in a home with so little *to* comfort. Not your eyes or your body or any inclination to even go into those rooms because it's bare... so the logical thought, to people like me, is "Why buy space you don't need?"

The explanations above make sense too... but there's definitely a set of people to whom empty/barren looking rooms suck out all of our good energy.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:59 PM

9,025 posts, read 13,910,644 times
For me,I think its stupid to have a big ole house and not put any furniture in it.
Its like people put so much into the home that they can't even afford furniture.
That IS stupid in my opinion.

For myself,I prefer small but cozy. I don't know why it would look odd to have expensive furniture In a small home.

Aren't you supposed to calculate the cost of furniture with housing expenses?

Even when I move(I'm a renter) I always calculate the cost of furniture and decorating into the moving costs.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:35 PM

23,802 posts, read 24,368,675 times
I also prefer a smaller home, but reasonably furnished and functional.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:06 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,079,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
I saw this a lot in the DC area and other places. A big house with many rooms, such as a dining room, or living room, with little to no furniture in it. These were places that had been lived in for a while.

I preferred to have a balance of a smaller house that was more manageable in terms of upkeep and maintenance.
I don't get the big house obsession either. I've seen young couples move into four bedroom McMansions. They have almost no furniture, and half the rooms in the house are totally empty. They spend more money then they can afford on the ridiculously high mortgage payment, and on the utility costs for all that vacant space.

They are the same type of people who buy gas guzzling SUVs, and then complain about gas prices being so high. Some people are just born to live their entire lives in debt.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:27 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,246,636 times
Quote:
I saw this a lot in the DC area and other places. A big house with many rooms, such as a dining room, or living room, with little to no furniture in it. These were places that had been lived in for a while.
Are you talking about houses you looked at that are listed for sale?

You would probably think the same thing about my house. The reason is because it is for sale and we have been slowly moving things out while it is listed, so that when it sells, we are not slammed with a massive amount of work and furniture to move all at once. It also makes the rooms look larger for showings. When potential buyers come in, they will be met with a living room missing a couch, a bedroom missing furniture and a few empty rooms.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:31 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,228,669 times
Default And your point is?

Quote:

I preferred to have a balance of a smaller house that was more manageable in terms of upkeep and maintenance.
When folks were flipping homes in NOVA there were plenty of McMansions with drapes and a table lamp at the window, empty rooms with card table furniture.

Back in the Pittsburgh area, used to be you could buy a home under construction and leave the top floor unfinished other than the studding. 40 years later appraisers were still finding those unfinished rooms.

Remember the line from the movie, "Lucy, you have a lot of explaining to do." The stakeout was in one of those homes.
Attached Thumbnails
Nice big house or expensive house but little to no furniture?-stakeout.jpg  

Old 03-30-2013, 04:16 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,765,850 times
Actually, I was referring to family and friends who had 6000+ square foot houses.

No dining room or no living room furniture. Instead of a bedroom set, it's a mattress on the floor (no frame or even a box spring).

From what I know, they had no plans to even use those rooms.

Old 03-30-2013, 04:44 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,130,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
For me,I think its stupid to have a big ole house and not put any furniture in it.
Its like people put so much into the home that they can't even afford furniture.
That IS stupid in my opinion.

For myself,I prefer small but cozy. I don't know why it would look odd to have expensive furniture In a small home.

Aren't you supposed to calculate the cost of furniture with housing expenses?

Even when I move(I'm a renter) I always calculate the cost of furniture and decorating into the moving costs.
The difference is when you buy, the cost of moving goes up substantially. It's not cheap to sell a house or add a room. Sometimes you have to factor in future needs because its not as simple as leasing a new place.

Not that if makes sense to buy 6000 sq ft to use a quarter of it.

Old 03-30-2013, 04:44 PM

22,784 posts, read 48,077,455 times
Quote:
Actually, I was referring to family and friends who had 6000+ square foot houses.
Well then, ask them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House