Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 04:20 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,153,400 times

Advertisements

I find the majority of new houses to be very ugly and I have been wondering lately how much it is to build a custom house vs purchasing a generic track house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 04:38 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,730,791 times
That depends on where you live, the type of house you're looking to build, and the contractor you hire. But typically speaking, yes, building a custom house is far more expensive.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:00 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,726,981 times
Default All depends on what you mean by custom.....

A lot of builders just build the same basic box over and over again. They may look a lil different but they are the same under the skin. Good reasons for it. They get it down to a method and that is cheaper. Plus the workers get used to doing it the same, that is faster.

Custom usually means maybe different materials, different supplies, a lot of different things. Yep, expect to pay a lot more.

You can customize the basic box without adding a whole lot more to the price. Got to do it while in the planning stages tho. Once construction starts it is a change order and that usually is Big Bucks.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:30 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,153,400 times
Quote:
You can customize the basic box without adding a whole lot more to the price.
Yeah, I've known people that did this, but they still look/feel like ugly McMansions to me.

Anybody have any pointers where one can find more information on the process/costs of getting a custom built for you?

Old 11-06-2007, 01:43 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
It doesn't have to cost a lot more. You can go two routes, you can be the builder yourself, hiring the subcontractors directly which will give you a real hand-on experience of building your house. In which case you can save substantial amounts of money (my brother and my parents both did this, my brother saved about $80,000 on his house, my parents about $45,000.) Or you can hire a good builder who does custom homes and pay him (I have a friend who's a builder and his standard markup is 15% for materials and labor) for his expertise and supervision. Since the housing market is taking such a beating, this is an excellent time to try to custom-build a house.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:08 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,414,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It doesn't have to cost a lot more. You can go two routes, you can be the builder yourself, hiring the subcontractors directly which will give you a real hand-on experience of building your house. In which case you can save substantial amounts of money (my brother and my parents both did this, my brother saved about $80,000 on his house, my parents about $45,000.) Or you can hire a good builder who does custom homes and pay him (I have a friend who's a builder and his standard markup is 15% for materials and labor) for his expertise and supervision. Since the housing market is taking such a beating, this is an excellent time to try to custom-build a house.
you have to be very very carefully doing the building yourself. You should have knowledge in construction to avoid being ripped off.

I design custom homes day in and day out. They generally are more expensive than the spec stuff coming from large builders. But the benefit is
1 on 1 meetings with the designer and the builder and you get to build a good relationship with both. You will generally get a better quality build (with the right builder of course) and you will know exactly what goes into the house, you will choose every single detail of the house down to the faucets, not from just a little list. Any production piece.

What happens when doing a design that makes it spiral out of control and cost?

Well, we will get maybe four of five contracts a year with clients that have a simple house idea in mind. They start the design process, and decide they want to move a wall 6", then they want to move this and that, they send in changes daily. Then after engineering they decide to move some stuff some more. Well. its not as easy to move a wall 6" every single day as some think, especially after engineering. The costs then spiral out of control. Or the client makes things bigger and bigger so when the house is ready to build. They have made it so large they can no longer afford it.

My best bet, if you go this route. Find a good designer, and a good builder. Don't do many changes after the preliminary design is done. Keep the cost of your materials down, IE go with hollow core doors instead of solid mahogany lol. and keep changes to a minimum after engineering. Don't do any weird designs with the house. Remember you might have to or want to sell someday. Listen to the advice of your Designer, we do this for a living and know what can help / hurt the house. and for the sake of all sanity, stay away from the 40.00 "design" software from computer stores, they stink, and usually just give us designers problems when trying to recreate any design.

Another thing you can do, is drive around sub-divisions. Find what you like, and take pictures. Find out what the items that make the thing you like are, and the cost of that particular material. and if there is a material that is lower price you can use in place of the expensive stuff.

you can get exactly what you want, but there is a price to it.

If you have any more questions, feel free to send me a PM, and ill do my best to help ya out.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:43 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,676,988 times
You can hire a consultant to help you through the process. I've heard good things about the company UBuildIt.

Old 11-08-2007, 01:38 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erozas View Post
Helikon Design has nice round designs that assemble quickly and are reasonably priced. You buy the kit from Helikon Design and get local labor and trades to assemble with Helikon's supervision. THE ROUND HELIX STRUCTURE ENERGY EFFICIENT HOME
I think you missed the point of the OP. If the majority of new homes are "ugly"- Does that make round beautiful?
I think of custom as "built for me"(design, layout, features, materials, etc.). I'm not settling for the masses that are on the ground.
Humanoid- there are some good points made. All-in-all the answer is yes- how much more depends on you.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:17 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
you have to be very very carefully doing the building yourself. You should have knowledge in construction to avoid being ripped off.

I design custom homes day in and day out. They generally are more expensive than the spec stuff coming from large builders. But the benefit is
1 on 1 meetings with the designer and the builder and you get to build a good relationship with both. You will generally get a better quality build (with the right builder of course) and you will know exactly what goes into the house, you will choose every single detail of the house down to the faucets, not from just a little list. Any production piece.

What happens when doing a design that makes it spiral out of control and cost?

Well, we will get maybe four of five contracts a year with clients that have a simple house idea in mind. They start the design process, and decide they want to move a wall 6", then they want to move this and that, they send in changes daily. Then after engineering they decide to move some stuff some more. Well. its not as easy to move a wall 6" every single day as some think, especially after engineering. The costs then spiral out of control. Or the client makes things bigger and bigger so when the house is ready to build. They have made it so large they can no longer afford it.

My best bet, if you go this route. Find a good designer, and a good builder. Don't do many changes after the preliminary design is done. Keep the cost of your materials down, IE go with hollow core doors instead of solid mahogany lol. and keep changes to a minimum after engineering. Don't do any weird designs with the house. Remember you might have to or want to sell someday. Listen to the advice of your Designer, we do this for a living and know what can help / hurt the house. and for the sake of all sanity, stay away from the 40.00 "design" software from computer stores, they stink, and usually just give us designers problems when trying to recreate any design.

Another thing you can do, is drive around sub-divisions. Find what you like, and take pictures. Find out what the items that make the thing you like are, and the cost of that particular material. and if there is a material that is lower price you can use in place of the expensive stuff.

you can get exactly what you want, but there is a price to it.

If you have any more questions, feel free to send me a PM, and ill do my best to help ya out.
No freaking way.... I want my solid mahogany doors.... actually I change my mind, I want hand carved doors $1k a piece WOOT!

Last edited by evilnewbie; 11-08-2007 at 02:28 PM..

Old 11-08-2007, 07:32 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times
My brother and his wife built a custom home in the Dallas area a few years back, they adore it. The total was around $440,000 which I don't consider terrible considering the materials they picked out (wood floors, granite countertops, marble bath, etc). If you can afford to build a custom home, I'd say go for it but make sure you know what you're going to get into first before taking the plunge. The builder my brother used estimated the total cost to be right at $400K but somehow it went $40K over budget; NEVER trust estimates.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House