Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 08:17 PM

30 posts, read 84,127 times

Advertisements

I have the GE...LOVE it. Going on 2yrs and no complaints yet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 12:19 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
I have a GE one too, bought in the summer of '09 when I remodeled the kitchen at my old house. I didn't get the water/ice through the door -- I didn't want to waste ANY space since I had to get counter-depth to work well in the new kitchen (the stove and refrigerator had to go on the same wall, which meant there wasn't too much counter space left to the right of the refrigerator so a regular 30" depth wouldn't have worked).

I liked the refrigerator so much that I will likely buy the same model (or a very similar one) when I remodel the kitchen at my current house in a few years. I've had tenants at the old house for the last year and they have no complaints (and there are 3 of them living in the house). I liked having all the refrigerator items close to eye level, and I liked that the freezer door pulled out like a drawer.

I thought about getting a side-by-side, but I understand some things (like frozen pizzas) can't fit in them? Not that I have frozen pizza very often, but still ...

Old 03-14-2013, 07:17 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
No way are French door fridges worth the extraordinary price. I bought a decent-sized top freezer/fridge for $699. Think of what you could do with the rest of that money.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:54 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,295,255 times
At a time when most appliances are considered throw away's, because they're made in China we chose a counter depth Kitchen Aid made in Canada. We have to open the door to get our filtered water, but other than that we're very pleased. I just hope we get five years from the stuff we buy today, so we shall see.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:42 AM

2,417 posts, read 2,988,207 times
I have a Samsung, not sure the model, but it looks like that one. I love it! And I love that the water/ice dispenser allows for a very big cup or pitcher, most don't. And the water filter is easy to change, although water filters are expensive. I love having the freezer on the bottom since I don't open that as much. I hate side-by-sides and I don't want to bend over to get in the fridge when the freezer's on the top. I love French door fridge!

Old 03-14-2013, 10:03 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times
I love the look of the French door fridges, but it seems like it would be hard to find things at the bottom of the freezer section. I like side-by-sides with pull-out drawers and bins, so that nothing is ever buried under a deep stack of other food.

Is the freezer difficult to use? Do you have to plop down on the floor and start pulling things out until you find what you need on the bottom?

Old 03-14-2013, 09:13 PM

2,417 posts, read 2,988,207 times
My French door freezer is divided into 3 sections with a sliding drawer or shelf over them and a narrow shelf on the door itself. I don't find it hard to find things at all. I tend to keep veggies in one section, meat in another, misc in another, and boxes in the drawer. Ice packs and freeze pops go in the door. The dividers are adjustable. Some freezers have a slot for frozen pizzas!

Old 03-15-2013, 02:41 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
We bought a Maytag french door model 7 years ago. I very much like the design. The freezer drawer is very easy to access, with divided compartments and sliding baskets.

The one feature I am not thrilled with is the in-door ice dispenser. The ice maker itself sits inside the refrigerator compartment, and we frequently have issues with the ice jamming up - it would seem because it sometimes melts together into big clumps.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:24 PM

461 posts, read 1,314,086 times
We purchased the same Samsung at Lowes in black (RFG298HDBP). Sign up online for one of their 10% off "moving" coupons. We combined this with a sale they were having and paid around $1800. It was an awesome deal. I think they might be having a sale right now. The good thing about Lowes...we purchased a full 3 year warranty for around $100. Good to have. We love the frig. Have no complaints at all. It is far roomier than our old side by side. Love having the dual icemaker.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:59 PM

3,273 posts, read 2,969,763 times
I bought an LG French door fridge last July and I love it! I've always had a side by side, and I really hated that the freezer was small, especially with the in the door water and ice dispenser. This time I didn't get the water dispenser since we hardly used it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House