Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 05:56 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,735,742 times

Advertisements

I have this horrible stuff on all my ceilings and would love rid of the lot but dont want to touch it...

Asbestos: the hidden health hazard in millions of homes | Money | The Observer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 08:11 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,925,396 times
IF you are worried about the exposure just paint over it. tha little bit you exposed, even if it was asbestos would not be an issue. Encapsulation (covering with paint or other methods) is an exceptable method in some cases.

Given the age of the home, chances are it is styrofoam. I installed some popcorn ceilings in the mid 70's and asbestos was not used then.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:31 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,621,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I have this horrible stuff on all my ceilings and would love rid of the lot but dont want to touch it...

Asbestos: the hidden health hazard in millions of homes | Money | The Observer

Wow, I must be the only person on earth that likes popcorn ceilings.
I have all mine done, they have since been painted of course, but I still like the texture on the ceiling.

I don't know what the big hate is of them?

Old 12-17-2012, 11:43 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
I hate them becasue they are unattractive and they collect dirt and dusst and cannto be cleaned. As they age, bits fall off and land in inconveient places like in your moth when you sleep, or in a friend's drink when you have a party, etc.

I like them becasue they are really easy to remove. Wear a mask and goggles. Spray it with a garden sprayer of hot water using a fine mist. wait, respray, scrape it off with a plastic scraper. nothing with an edge to it, windshield scrapers for winter work pretty well, or plastic putty knife,you do not want to gouge the drywall.

An as to panicing over asbestos (eye roll). . . that panic is generated by imaginative marketers for asbestos removal companies. While the disease is real, it has never been found to be a threat to homwoners. It is a real threat to factory workers, mechanics and others who breather clouds of hte stuff with not mask for years and years. Since you will wear a mask and you will not be inhaling concentrated clouds of asbestos dust for years and years. . . . well make your own call. You can always call in the guys in white darth vader suits. Some people love spending money on trendy marketing gimmiks.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:32 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,621,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I hate them becasue they are unattractive and they collect dirt and dusst and cannto be cleaned. As they age, bits fall off and land in inconveient places like in your moth when you sleep, or in a friend's drink when you have a party, etc.

I like them becasue they are really easy to remove. Wear a mask and goggles. Spray it with a garden sprayer of hot water using a fine mist. wait, respray, scrape it off with a plastic scraper. nothing with an edge to it, windshield scrapers for winter work pretty well, or plastic putty knife,you do not want to gouge the drywall.

An as to panicing over asbestos (eye roll). . . that panic is generated by imaginative marketers for asbestos removal companies. While the disease is real, it has never been found to be a threat to homwoners. It is a real threat to factory workers, mechanics and others who breather clouds of hte stuff with not mask for years and years. Since you will wear a mask and you will not be inhaling concentrated clouds of asbestos dust for years and years. . . . well make your own call. You can always call in the guys in white darth vader suits. Some people love spending money on trendy marketing gimmiks.

I think they are attractive,

Who cleans ceilings anyway, they get painted, but seriously, mine don't seem to have dust on them, and if I see anything i get the broom and wipe it, no big deal.

I have had them for 25 years, they have been painted several times, thus no particles ever fell off into anyone's drink, or in my mouth when I slept.. not that it couldn't happen, but so far it hasn't.

but that wouldn't make me tear it down.

but anyway, I just like them. and i know, others dont.
its all good

Old 12-17-2012, 01:45 PM

126,265 posts, read 19,034,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I think they are attractive,

Who cleans ceilings anyway, they get painted, but seriously, mine don't seem to have dust on them, and if I see anything i get the broom and wipe it, no big deal.

I have had them for 25 years, they have been painted several times, thus no particles ever fell off into anyone's drink, or in my mouth when I slept.. not that it couldn't happen, but so far it hasn't.

but that wouldn't make me tear it down.

but anyway, I just like them. and i know, others dont.
its all good
We like these type of ceilings,had them also for 30 years, **** span clean, just like you we just use a broom to remove a web. even now in our new house we wanted poocorn ceiling...looks appealing..

Old 12-17-2012, 02:48 PM

18,526 posts, read 18,735,742 times
dont mind just the stipple one, but one of my rooms has those daft swrily things, it looks ugly.. and hard to paint over...

Old 12-18-2012, 02:28 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,288,797 times
The use of ACM (asbestos containing materials) in drywall acoustical sprayed ceilings was outlawed in 1978 in the United States. The problem that arises upon removal is the unfinished drywall joints. Only 2 coats were applied prior to spraying ceilings instead of 3 used for texture. Refinishing should be done prior to painting.
Painting them only makes removal, or patching even more difficult. Asbestos is only hazardous when friable. Spraying it with warm water will aid in removal as well as reduce friable material.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:11 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,299,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noihoforus View Post
The danger is real....my Dad just died of Mesotheliomia caused by aspestos exposure.....believe me it is a miserable way to die.
My sympathy. I knew another fella (in his mid-sixties) who died from the same thing.

I believe he had served in the Navy, and became exposed during his service.

You're right. That stuff is not a substance to be taken lightly.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:36 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,291,381 times
I grew up in a family that was in construction. A good portion of the work they did was stucco, lath and plaster, and spray on ceilings.
When I was in high school in the 60's, I used to work summers on the job sites. I remember when my Grandfather got his first "Tommy Gun" that sprayed the material. Most of the time, I was just a grunt worker, but I spent many hours spraying ceilings.
I also remember the hod carrier opening bags of (what I now know was asbestos) an additive to the mixer with huge clouds of "dust" blowing in the air. I would hate to think of what his lungs looked like after years of mixing plaster and stucco. He would throw those 50 and 100 pound sacks up on the mixer and cut it open with a shovel, then shovel in the sand, etc. Huge mess.
Later in life, I inspected for asbestos in schools and County buildings. I had a lot of training to do that work. To see some of the flippant remarks made, it is obvious that some people don't really have the education and experience on the subject and rely on knee jerk reactions, or rely on some website for their information. Somehow it gets around to some sort of conspiracy or government plot.

There are a lot of asbestos containing materials that I would not want to be around. However, popcorn ceilings can be fairly easy to remove without exposing yourself to a release episode. Like others have said, you need to keep it very wet during removal, and dispose of it properly. Adding a wetting agent to the water also helps a lot. Fabric softener was the favorite of most removal contractors.

If someone wanted to dispose of asbestos and wasn't sure how to do it, they could mix it with concrete and make step stones or blocks. Of course, that is not an "EPA approved" disposal method, and is not allowed. I am not suggesting anyone use that method, I have only heard of someone doing it that way. Shame on them.

Keep it WET, WET, WET, when removing it, and don't scrape too hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House