Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 07:26 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of replacing all the flooring in my home and I would like suggestions for the floor in the master bath. At the present time it is carpeted, and I hate the carpet and want something else.

I had been looking at tile of various types but then I noticed some very nice vinyl. I have always disliked vinyl and hadn't even considered it, but some of this new, higher quality vinyl looks very nice.

Unfortunately I am not handy and don't have much experience with projects like this so I would appreciate any advice. I am sorry if my questions seem silly, but:

Would vinyl be a good choice for this master bathroom? Would there be a difference in quality or a reason to use sheet vinyl over vinyl squares? What about vinyl planks?

If you put furniture on top of vinyl will it cause indentations?

What kind of sub floor would have to be installed before vinyl was put down?

Would installing vinyl be an issue with resale value of my home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 09:03 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Vinyl flooring for master bathroom?
At the present time it is carpeted, and I hate the carpet and want something else.
No doubt. I can't imagine a worse flooring choice for a bathroom than carpet.

Vinyl is a budget conscious alternative.
Even the best vinyl is scads less than tile (the most appropriate bathroom flooring).

Quote:
If you put furniture on top of vinyl will it cause indentations?
You have furniture in a bathroom?
What kind of sub floor would have to be installed before vinyl was put down?
Simple inexpensive "lauan" plywood and "leveler".
Would installing vinyl be an issue with resale value of my home?
Nope. Anyone who doesn't like it can replace it and far more simply than a tile they didn't like.
hth

Old 11-21-2012, 09:46 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,370,546 times
Good linoleum is always a reasonable choice for a bathroom. It's MUCH better than carpet (a flooring that asinine to have in a bathroom), and is warmer and usually more economical than ceramic tile.

Avoid the peel & apply vinyl tiles.

Yes, heavy furniture will cause indentations. 1/4" luan is a typical linoleum sub-floor. Replacing carpet with linoleum - in the bathroom - will do nothing but increase the value of your home.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:02 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
I put vinyl peel and stick tiles in a kitchen of the last house I flipped. When I was doing the disclosure form with the Realtor, I told him the kitchen floor was vinyl. He put the pen down and looked at me like I was crazy. "Isn't that ceramic tile?" he said. When I told him no, he walked back into the kitchen to look at it again and said, "Even the 'grout lines' look real."

It wasn't anything special, although it was one of the pricier thing Home Depot had in stock. It was a mottled gray stone color, 12-inch squares, about $1.50 each, but they were having a sale that day, so I got it for a bit less. It was sold by the box, but they let me take back the squares I didn't use and gave me credit. They said there are always people who just want a couple of squares, or just buy one as a sample. It was similar to this product:

12 in. x 12 in. Cool Grey Resilient Tile Flooring (30 sq. ft./case)-40516 at The Home Depot

Go for a very sturdy tile with a good backing. The flimsy vinyl sometimes peels and can stain from things like cosmetic products. Just make sure the subfloor is level. Keep a few extra squares so if anything happens you have a match. And if you don't like it, or tire of it after awhile, you didn't waste a fortune. It has to be better than bathroom carpet!

I've seen the famous decorator Candice Olson use resilient vinyl planks several times on her HGTV program. She's especially big on it for basement re-dos. She puts it right over the concrete floor.

7.5 in. x 47.6 in. 2-Strip Clear Cherry Resilient Vinyl Plank Flooring (19.8 sq.ft. / case)-66411 at The Home Depot

Good luck with your project.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:42 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times
I have vinyl. My house was built in the 90's so it was the cheap way to go when the house was built. Well 16 yrs later it still holding up. There is nothing wrong with it. I will replace at some point but it will be when we update the bathroom.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:02 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,667,816 times
There are many new sheet vinyl products. Some look so close to ceramic tile, some have issues telling them apart. I recently need a piece of sheet vinyl replaced/patched (toilet leak up from underneath discolored it). They cut/patched in a 3ftx3ft piece, cutting along the "grout" lines. The cut lines are for all purposes not visible. You would have to know where they were and get down on your hands and knees to see them.

Mine had a 36in repeat pattern so I had to pay for a 6ftx6ft piece to assure we got a pattern repeat match.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:11 AM

6,351 posts, read 11,589,402 times
What George said. Absolutley no squares in a bathroom - water will get under the tiles.

Some of the newer vinyl products are very cushiony and will show marks if you have furniture you will be moving around.

Personally, I like vinyl, especially in wet spaces.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:13 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,635,068 times
The vinyl of today is not like it was back in the 60's. It is much nicer. I has peel and press tiles in another apartment back in the 80's, like a brick pattern. It was durable and really looked good, and that was back then..

I see nothing wrong with it.

Just because HGTV brainwashes everyone into only certain products, doesnt mean we have to use it.

and the beauty of vinly is, when you get sick of it, it is cheap enough to replace.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:06 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,212,166 times
I saw some beautiful vinyl flooring at a home show this past summer! It wasn't cheap, though. I would use it to redo a bathroom floor. More comfy than tile.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:31 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times
Thanks for all the opinions and advice. I am definitely planning to go with vinyl in the master bath.

The bath opens up into a walk-in closet that is carpeted the same as the bathroom, that's why I wanted to know about furniture causing indentations as I have a few pieces of furniture in the closet.

Another area I was thinking about using vinyl is a rec room that has a door that opens to the back yard. The only thing I use this room for is my treadmill, and my two border collies stay in there when they are home alone. They tend to get into mischief so this has become their space. I want to put in flooring that is easy to clean, and they do track mud in sometimes as they always enter and exit the house through the door in this room.

Would vinyl be a good choice for this room? I had been thinking about laminate but I wonder if the dogs coming in with muddy or wet feet might be a problem. But they like to run and play in that room, would their scrabbling around scratch a vinyl floor?

One of my friends has three dogs and had hardwood floor installed. Her dogs have scratched it quite a bit just by walking on it.

Also, would installation charges for vinyl flooring be by the square foot? I have looked at several stores and they have prices posted for the price per square foot, installed, for laminate and wood but not for vinyl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House