Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 10:10 AM

27,340 posts, read 44,473,967 times

Advertisements

For those in the market for a new washer, a word or two of caution. After going through the process six months ago of reading online reviews and about all of the supposed perks of high efficiency washing machines I landed on the Whirlpool Cabrio top load as I figured it at least didn't have the well publicized mold issues of the front loaders. Everything seemed okay through the summer and on into fall except for dry itchy skin which I attributed to various factors until it dawned on me when witnessing the wash process step-by-step one day that my machine wasn't getting all of the clothes wet enough to even get all of the detergent out. In fact most times whatever went in on top, stayed on top throughout the entire "wash" process. I often wondered how my wash still smelled like the detergent after rinsing and drying and now know why...it wasn't removed during the wash/rinse cycle, so how could my things be getting "clean"??? I went online and read many similar testimonials and was relieved to see I wasn't in fact losing my mind. I replaced the Cabrio washer (and sold the dryer to a neighbor) and purchased a new Roper "old school" washer and dryer from Lowe's (retail $299 each) and have spent the past couple of days rewashing my "clean" laundry. The difference is quite noticeable as not only does the fabric seem lighter and less stiff, but also no fragrance residue from the detergent. Don't fall for the high tech bells and whistles, and the HE/low water usage failure. I wish I hadn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 10:14 AM

22,836 posts, read 48,155,827 times
Meh...
I have had a front loader for years.
And with two people in the house with sensitive skin, they never had your problems.

Sounds like you were using too much detergent. A front loader needs just a tiny amount.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:19 AM

27,340 posts, read 44,473,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Sounds like you were using too much detergent. A front loader needs just a tiny amount.
Nope, I was using the minimum fill line on the detergent cap with a full load. Also think about it, when the wash water drains and there's no rinsing involved other than a feeble spray of water how exactly are your clothes getting clean and rinsed out????

Old 11-19-2012, 10:21 AM

I use WAY less than a line on a cap.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:29 AM

2,438 posts, read 3,016,456 times
The op wasn't using a front loader. It was a top loader. I've read such good things about the Cabrio, but I always wondered how they could rinse well with less water. I guess they don't.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:31 AM

OOPS! My bad. Thanks for pointing that out!

Old 11-19-2012, 12:32 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,940,908 times
Also, the OP may be overfilling the machine?

Old 11-19-2012, 02:41 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,117,773 times
Could it be the washer didn't fill with water to the top like the old top loaders did? When I was going to the laundry mat during my house remodel, I noticed the top loaders only filled with water to about the half and this is AFTER my clothes were in it. It forced a person to do only small loads.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:35 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,722,190 times
Water efficient washing machines are like low water usage toilets. They just do not get the job done properly but itching aside, your are being green....or is is red from scratching.......LOL

Old 11-19-2012, 03:43 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,314,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Water efficient washing machines are like low water usage toilets. They just do not get the job done properly but itching aside, your are being green....or is is red from scratching.......LOL
I can see where this would be the case with a top loader, I'm not even sure how they could make a water efficient top loader. By it's very nature it needs a lot of water. With the front loader you just don't need much water, less detergent etc.

......and yes I do wash clothes, I use about tablespoon of detergent in each wash. Things get clean and they don't smell like detergent at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House