Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 10:57 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,785,161 times

Advertisements

just had a new Maytag washer delivered. It is a high efficiency model. It says I need to use HE detergent. The delivery guy said if I don't it will void the warranty................Any thoughts? It is a top loader--Centinneal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 11:13 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,460,359 times
The HE stuff costs the same at Costco or Target as the "non-HE" stuff, just a slightly smaller range of "scents" and other options.

I think the formula basically uses a low sudsing type mix of surfactants and soaps so that the the draining and agitation don't have to deal with the "bubble bath" type foam which requires longer rinse and agitation to make sure soap residue is not left behind.

The manufacturer is not conspiring against you -- it is simply the march of technology...

Old 10-12-2011, 11:25 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,158,930 times
My sister bought a Maytag HE set many years ago when the only place she could buy laundry soap was at the Maytag store. Since Im lazy I knew I wouldn't upgrade to the HE machines until the soap was easier to find. I bought a front loader set last year and get my laundry soap at Wal-Mart, Target and even the grocery store. Its becoming the norm now. Just look for the little HE symbol on the bottle. I noticed the last time I was in the store Gain and Wisk are now offer HE options. They are a bit cheaper than Tide. I have heard watering down soap is also effective but since I invested so much into the machines, I just buy the right soap from the get go and yes, just a tip, don't try regular soap. I used some spray and wash on some pillow cases and about 10 minutes later found big suds spewing out of my machine. Honestly, I didn't think a spray treatment would make a difference. Oh yes, it did.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:27 AM

165 posts, read 1,285,964 times
The HE stuff is found on the laundry detergent shelves next to the "regular" detergent. Pay attention to the amount the directions tell you to use, it's not very much per load. Some washer manufacturers may tell you to use even less than the detergent manufacturer so read your washer manual too.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:21 PM

900 posts, read 2,374,122 times
I like using Dynamo but I haven't ran into any he Dynamo brands.

I bought Tide he from CVS but I hate the constant rose smell so I don't use it anymore.

I go to the .99 cent store that sales Ultra Purex (after the rain scent) that says for all machines including he for 40 oz bottle $4.00.

Eventually I might start making my own soap. I looked up concoctions on the internet.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:39 PM

169 posts, read 799,636 times
Consumer Reports just rated the HE detergents, and while Tide come out #2, not far behind (and a fraction of the price) was Target's HE liquid laundry detergent [it showed the purple top bottle in the article]. I purchased it based on their rec' and I've been pleased so far. It's ~$7.99 a bottle vs. ~11.99+ for Tide.

That said, I've had front loaders for over 10 yrs and I have rarely purchased HE detergent. I was told many years ago by someone who engineers appliances that HE detergent wasn't necessary. You should, however, only use about a 1/3 of the soap/detergent that you would normally use because the machines are so much more effective. This same person also told me to cut dryer sheets in half, and only use half per load - which has also worked out great. In fact, when we got my washer, the instructions said not to use ANY DETERGENT for the first three washes [if you are washing existing clothes] because there would be so much soap residue in them left there by top loading machines/traditional washing.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:49 PM

61,870 posts, read 87,339,575 times
Top load vs front load washers

Persil and Ariel are the best.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:53 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,333,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
just had a new Maytag washer delivered. It is a high efficiency model. It says I need to use HE detergent. The delivery guy said if I don't it will void the warranty................Any thoughts? It is a top loader--Centinneal.
Yep, use on HE detergent and maybe use a tad under the Fill Line on the cap. There's a reason re: the suds and rinseability...it's not a conspiracy.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:17 PM

412 posts, read 680,151 times
I use the Costco brand HE detergent... it's inexpensive and does the trick.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:01 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,334,315 times
These days there is as much HE detergent as not in the stores I go to. And the price is the same. So why not use it? Is it not available in your area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House