Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 11:31 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,448,554 times

Advertisements

Only a sample size of seven here, so take it for what it's worth.
Most recent machine is a Miele front-load Novatronic W1918 (I know, ancient).
But will never go back to a top-loading machine after this. Takes forever to do a load, but works extremely well. Miele front-load dryer is also very good.
Back when I was in NH, they used to take the Kenmores (I was on a lot of land) into the woods and see what a 12-gauge would do to them. Same for the 'fridges.
As usual, I digress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 02:45 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Also for those who say they're using a tablespoon of detergent for a full load, do you really think you're getting clean clothes?
They are clean enough for me, I use hot water on everything except for a few items. Whites get the steam.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:37 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,789 times
I always leave my HE washing machine slightly open after I remove the load - no mold!

Old 11-20-2012, 08:50 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
All of your explanation is a fail unfortunately. The result is not the same as one gets with a traditional machine with agitator that fills with water and covers the clothing. I've watched the process. In a high efficiency top-load washer, whatever is on top stays on top and whatever is underneath stays there as well in terms of items in the load. It's physically impossible for not fully saturated material sitting in a gallon of water to absorb detergent, release dirt/enzymes and spin dry simultaneously while being spritzed with water as a "rinse". Lastly for those who suggest wrong detergent, I was using Dreft High Efficiency Formula using the minimum quantity in the cap. Also for those who say they're using a tablespoon of detergent for a full load, do you really think you're getting clean clothes?
I don't disagree with you in that compared to HE washers, traditional washers (both of which have been made in front and top loader versions for years and years), wash thoroughly while the HE ones don't.

That said, two identical HE models, one a top loader and the other a front loader, wash exactly the same way. The main difference is that the HE top loader has a very small sort of agitator that grabs the clothes to move them around, and also that it uses a little more water than the similar model front loader.

The lack of sufficient water to rinse the clothes is the reason why bacteria, which results from the human dirt in the clothes, hangs around the door seals of front loading washers. With the old front loading washers, the smell is nonexistent. Not so with HE washers.

Last edited by RayinAK; 11-20-2012 at 08:58 PM..

Old 02-07-2016, 07:03 AM

1 posts, read 810 times
i have a maytag bravos and have some of the same problems. after a full wash and dry the clothes still smell like detergent and frankly not very clean. if your are dead set on keeping your H.E. Machine i suggest using the bulky cycle for all of your normal loads.it uses the most water but with those small agitator blades there is not much movement but at least the clothes are fully submerged during the wash cycle.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:14 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
Warning, Zombie thread (brought back from the dead/2012)

Old 02-07-2016, 10:07 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Warning, Zombie thread (brought back from the dead/2012)
Yes, and for those interested in this topic, there have been many improvements in the HE machines in the 4 years since 2012.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:19 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,605,871 times
I like zombie threads that show what people complained about in the past. But I never had any complaints about the GE HE toploader I bought in 2011, does the best job of any washer I've ever had. I have towels and blankets that are pretty dirty and come out clean and fresh.

Old 02-07-2016, 03:14 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
I've had a Cabrio set for several years with no issues whatsoever. I do not overload the washer, and I always make sure that though there's no agitator, the middle is clear of clothing (like the instructions say). It's not complicated and I've had zero problems. In fact, I love the washer and dryer and I really do use the various settings on a regular basis.

I also love that this HE washer uses less water - and less detergent. Great savings overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House