Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 11:21 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,822,896 times

Advertisements

I just moved in to a 7 yr old house with a poured concrete basement. There is a thin crack running down the lower corner of a basement window, about 4 ft. I see the crack inside and outside.

During Sandy, I saw a little water (drops) seeping thru, so before it gets worse, I want to fix it properly. I'm really confused about the best way to go, so wondering if you guys can advise. Below are what I know so far and I'd love to hear if you guys can tell me which is the best/most cost effective and which to avoid.

(1) The home inspector I used said to just buy a 'concrete sealant' that comes in a caulking tube and apply over the crack.

(2) I remember seeing a This Old House episode where Tom Silvia had the homeowner chisel out a half inch notch all along the crack and then used a flat bladed tool to apply hydraulic cement (?) that came in a power which he mixed into a paste with water.

(3) Searching online shows a variety of product kits that require injecting an expanding solution into the crack at 8 -12 inch intervals. Some say epoxy injections will harden and eventually also fail while urethane is flexible. This is the most expensive option so wondering if it's worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 11:40 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Whichever way you go about it, you need to seal that crack outside, which means you might need to dig out your foundation outside. This is super important. You can't just seal from the inside because water will still get into the wall from the outside. This isn't about preventing water from getting into your basement. It's all about preventing water from getting into the concrete and destroying your foundation. A poured concrete foundation is a fortune to replace compared to a concrete block foundation or even a sandstone foundation. I should know because I have a poured concrete room under my porch. It's just 6' x 18' and will cost close to 15k to replace.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:42 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Pics would help!
But remember one thing- the BEST repair is made at the source (exterior) not the interior side.

Hydraulic cement, caulks, epoxies, etc. all have their place and particular nuiances. Any and all MAY work, but it depends on the crack- in otherwords; what caused the crack.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:15 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,291,381 times
What he said............

Old 11-02-2012, 12:23 PM

5,119 posts, read 16,593,094 times
I too have a foundation crack diagonal down from the edge of a window--which is a typical place for a foundation crack.

Before doing a lot of research, a Home Depot employee recommended the hydraulic cement. My brother dug down about 3 feet outside my window and applied the hydraulic cement. After researching, I found several epoxy and polyurethane injection kits to consider to fix the crack on the inside. I never did get around to doing that and haven't had any water issues since. That area is still unfinished. It will eventually be part of a basement bathroom. I'll address the interior crack before then if it shows signs of leaking, if not, I'll just pay a professional to deal with it when the bathroom is put in.

If I do decide to tackle this myself, I'd buy a low viscosity polyurethane kit as it's supposed to work better with hairline cracks and really seep in to seal water out. Not supposed to need chiseling with the low viscosity product.

Good luck to you whatever you decide.
Attached Thumbnails
Repairing basement wall crack - how should I proceed-foundation-crack-inside-2-resized.jpg   Repairing basement wall crack - how should I proceed-foundation-crack-outside-2.jpg  

Old 11-02-2012, 02:41 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
These cracks are usually referred to as shrinkage cracks. The foundation wall as a continuious surface plane will shrink evenly along both axis-
But interrupt that plane with an opening (or discontinuity) and forces tend to work against each other.
Shrinkage cracks may have their origin at these points of discontinuity.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:09 PM

3,067 posts, read 8,407,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
I just moved in to a 7 yr old house with a poured concrete basement. There is a thin crack running down the lower corner of a basement window, about 4 ft. I see the crack inside and outside.

During Sandy, I saw a little water (drops) seeping thru, so before it gets worse, I want to fix it properly. I'm really confused about the best way to go, so wondering if you guys can advise. Below are what I know so far and I'd love to hear if you guys can tell me which is the best/most cost effective and which to avoid.

(1) The home inspector I used said to just buy a 'concrete sealant' that comes in a caulking tube and apply over the crack.

(2) I remember seeing a This Old House episode where Tom Silvia had the homeowner chisel out a half inch notch all along the crack and then used a flat bladed tool to apply hydraulic cement (?) that came in a power which he mixed into a paste with water.

(3) Searching online shows a variety of product kits that require injecting an expanding solution into the crack at 8 -12 inch intervals. Some say epoxy injections will harden and eventually also fail while urethane is flexible. This is the most expensive option so wondering if it's worth it.
You've got to be kidding right (in red above)?? Of course that's a rhetorical question!

I may live in the land of virtually no basements but I came from the land of basements. I've had plenty of opportunities to help correct leaking basements. Hopes is correct that you need to find the exterior leak point. It could be as simple as water penetrating an above ground and visible crack point, or a crack under a basement window casing that is not visible, or many other possibilities. Without getting detailed the exterior entry point can always be many feet away from the interior exit point. Just sealing the interior might stop the water from exiting into the basement but not sealing the entry point can potentially cause long term damage.

Epoxy injection methods can work to seal from the inside out but can be very expensive depending on what voids are present inside the wall. Hydraulic cements can patch the interior crack but again do nothing really different for the problem than the Home Inspector's "Caulk the crack" method!

What you might want to consider is looking over the visible exterior walls and perform the following first.
  1. Seal any cracks with appropriate sealers.
  2. Use a good grade of exterior caulk to seal around basement window frames where they meet the concrete.
  3. Look for any other penetration in the walls such as gas lines, hosebibs, etc., and make sure that they are properly sealed around to prevent them from allowing water entry.
Once you have done this go to the interior crack and clean it good to remove any debris or stains from the surface if you can. Don't widen or disturb the crack itself. Then monitor the crack for future water exiting during rains, snow melts, etc. Unless you plan to finish off the basement just leave it open for a few years just to be sure. If you don't see any further water exiting, and the crack does not increase in size, then you can patch it from the inside and pretty up the walls.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:39 PM

Thanks a million to all you guys.

eggalegga - My crack looks just like yours. And on the outside, there is a visible crack as well pretty much in the same corner and goes down below the soil (don't know how far down under the soil). So wondering:

When you dug down 3 feet and applied the hydraulic cement, did you do any widening of the crack or was the cement applied right on top of the crack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
I too have a foundation crack diagonal down from the edge of a window--which is a typical place for a foundation crack.

Before doing a lot of research, a Home Depot employee recommended the hydraulic cement. My brother dug down about 3 feet outside my window and applied the hydraulic cement. After researching, I found several epoxy and polyurethane injection kits to consider to fix the crack on the inside. I never did get around to doing that and haven't had any water issues since. That area is still unfinished. It will eventually be part of a basement bathroom. I'll address the interior crack before then if it shows signs of leaking, if not, I'll just pay a professional to deal with it when the bathroom is put in.

If I do decide to tackle this myself, I'd buy a low viscosity polyurethane kit as it's supposed to work better with hairline cracks and really seep in to seal water out. Not supposed to need chiseling with the low viscosity product.

Good luck to you whatever you decide.

escanlan - What you said makes sense. I'll patch the outside first, then wait and see if any water weeps inside. That way I can make sure there is no water going into the foundation to begin with.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:22 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,662,941 times
On your prior thread, it was suggested that you have a professional independent inspector advise you before you bought the house. What was the outcome of that inspection? The realtor's inspector has an ongoing interest in the outcome of the sale as they are all part of the same food chain.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
On your prior thread, it was suggested that you have a professional independent inspector advise you before you bought the house. What was the outcome of that inspection? The realtor's inspector has an ongoing interest in the outcome of the sale as they are all part of the same food chain.
I used Tiger inspection, not realtor's reco. He told me to do #1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House