Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 11:55 PM

44 posts, read 83,421 times

Advertisements

Well, You should not place it, it gets dusty as well as greasy. Unless you do not have a big kitchen, you should not place decorative things in kitchen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 12:06 AM

14 posts, read 18,678 times
Default Dish washing detergent

They do but just wash them with dish washing detergent. I think decor on the cabinet look nice.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:34 AM

18,478 posts, read 31,667,624 times
I have in each corner of my cabinets 2 small stereo speakers, so I can just hear music in the kitchen without blasting it from the living room and on one row of cabinets, I have a "watering can" collection, so they are up there on display.( about 6 of then) I do however line the tops of the cabinets with paper towels that way when they get really dusty I just throw the paper towels away and lay new ones down. With the crown moulding you can't even see the paper towels

I too also thought about making the cabinets go to the ceiling, but that means more junk collected up there that you never use, plus it is way too hard to get up there, and if you have to get a ladder, than you will probably use something else instead of what is up there anyway, so might as well not have it in the first place.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:51 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,951,734 times
I have decorative plates up there...purely decorative, not pieces I would use to eat/entertain with...I switch out the pieces for the holidays, I have Fall, Halloween, Thanksgiving, & Christmas plates that go up there during that time of year...then back to the "regular" stuff the other 9 months of the year...again, purely decorative...the items do not get terribly dusty or dirty, they're plates, so I usually handwash them really quick...I also scatter a few sets of clear lights up there {you can't see them} and light up there at the holidays...makes the plates sparkle, kinda neat. I don't outline the cabinet/cabinet molding with lights, just scatter them loose up there to create light...

Old 09-08-2012, 04:20 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,117,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Yes, the cat is a problem.

Attachment 100562
How can that adorable cat be a problem?!?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
You're supposed to dust up there? Uh oh......
LMAO!

Old 09-09-2012, 11:58 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,147,558 times
If I had the choice, I'd always take cabinets to the ceiling.
You can always put stuff in the higher cabs that you don't use often.
I'd rather have the cabs than an open space I KNOW is going to get dusty, that I'll have to clean.

I must admit I don't get what the big deal is about higher cabinets.
If the items in there are ones you don't use but once or twice a year -- is it REALLY that big a deal to use a stool to reach up there. I mean really.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:12 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,582,629 times
There are a couple of problems with cabinets "all the way to the ceiling"...first, if you have 15 foot ceilings, cabinets would look pretty ridiculous going all the way to the ceiling. The other factor is cost - running cabinets all the way to a ceiling line is more expensive than just standard cabinets. That being said, ours go to the ceiling, but we only have 8' ceilings. My preference is to have them all the way up since it eliminates that empty space. If you can't have them all the way up, I think a few items up there on display look just fine. I like nightcrawlers idea with the speakers up there. You can always connect them to a small CD player hidden inside the cabinet and you have instant "hidden" music in the kitchen for you and for when you have company.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:23 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,677,118 times
Our kitchen has cathedral ceilings so taking the cabinets to the ceiling is near impossible. We do have tall cabinets but they also have lights along the tops. The above cabinet lighting looks awesome.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:39 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,399,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynraleigh View Post
I have decorative plates up there...purely decorative, not pieces I would use to eat/entertain with...I switch out the pieces for the holidays, I have Fall, Halloween, Thanksgiving, & Christmas plates that go up there during that time of year...then back to the "regular" stuff the other 9 months of the year...again, purely decorative...the items do not get terribly dusty or dirty, they're plates, so I usually handwash them really quick...I also scatter a few sets of clear lights up there {you can't see them} and light up there at the holidays...makes the plates sparkle, kinda neat. I don't outline the cabinet/cabinet molding with lights, just scatter them loose up there to create light...
This is what I do too.... this past weekend , I spent arranging my pottery pumpkins, fall platters and leaf dishes up there. I pick them up thru the year at tag sales and while thrifting. I give everything a quick wash or trip thru the dishwasher before displaying.

I'm a basket lover but I don't have any in the kitchen....

Old 09-11-2012, 01:30 PM

18,478 posts, read 31,667,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
If I had the choice, I'd always take cabinets to the ceiling.
You can always put stuff in the higher cabs that you don't use often.
I'd rather have the cabs than an open space I KNOW is going to get dusty, that I'll have to clean.

I must admit I don't get what the big deal is about higher cabinets.
If the items in there are ones you don't use but once or twice a year -- is it REALLY that big a deal to use a stool to reach up there. I mean really.

yes, actually it is.

I don't have a stool, i have a ladder and it is in the bedroom closet as we live in an apartment, so if I had to get something form the top of the kitchen cabinet, I would then have to go to the bedroom, take the hamper out, get the ladder, get what ever was in the cabinet, after its use, i have to wash and dry it and put it away then put the ladder back in its designated space, then put the hamper back...
( the bedroom has a wall to wall floor to ceiling closet, so it is huge),
so to me, no I rather not have the cabinets all the up to a 9 foot ceiling, it is more of a PITA to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House