Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 04:56 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,311,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
I don't understand why many people don't build a kitchen that has the cabinets go all the way to the ceiling (with a soffit). Gives you much more storage space, (and the things you use rarely can go in the top shelves, and there is a thing called a step-stool to reach them).
Look at all the old houses that have cabinets (I have one from 1876, with 14' ceilings, and in the pantry the cabinets go all the way to to the top).
Having too much cabinet space is equivalent to the saying "too rich or too thin".
Our cabinets go almost to the ceiling. Too high to put anything up there, which is fine with me.

The top shelves are all for things I rarely use, or for things my 6'5" uses. If I need something, I either ask him to get it for me, or I use a "grabber", which I bought to pick up things after I had eye surgery and wasn't supposed to bend over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 06:23 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,424,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
That space is also designated elevated kitty racetrack for us. It seems to help to offer them something Up High as a substitute for actually hanging out on the kitchen counters.
I absolutely love your post!"Elevated kitty racetrack" wins the prize for phrase of the day!

I have some cast iron, baskets and pieces that could be replaced or I could live without on top of my cabinets. The inherited and other treasures are safely locked away in the china cabinet.

Along with the other downsizing I am down to one furry baby and she is very, very good. Baby never has been one to climb cabinets much.

I am actually the first one to break anything in the new digs. I had purchased a white mixing bowl from an antique mall and had it sitting on the counter. It was the perfect size to whip up an omelet or small frittata. Something I shouldn't have placed on a high cabinet shelf fell out and broke it last week. Oh well . . . at least I didn't pay much for the bowl and have only myself to blame!

Old 09-02-2012, 04:52 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,453,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Dusty. Crazy dusty. It's a pain to clean but only needs to be done once or twice a year.

My house has 15' ceilings. I would not want cabinets going to the top. And no step-stool will reach the top shelf at 14'. I have tall cabinets, but there's no way I'd want that wall filled to the ceiling with cabinets.
It is all a matter of personal opinion, as everyone is entitled to one.
That is why I said "soffit", so that the cabinets can go most of the way to the ceiling, and then the soffit can contain recessed lights to downsplash light on the cabinets and countertop.
Apparently you don't have a library in the house.... the rolling ladder is critical to reach all the books at the top...
Traditional 'butler's pantries' have cabinets that go all the way to the ceiling... and linen closets all over the place.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:27 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,124,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
That is why I said "soffit", so that the cabinets can go most of the way to the ceiling, and then the soffit can contain recessed lights to downsplash light on the cabinets and countertop.
Kitchen sofit is outdated.

I love my high ceilings. I wouldn't want to lower them, not even a portion of them.

And my recessed lights are directly in my real ceiling.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:25 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,453,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Kitchen sofit is outdated.

I love my high ceilings. I wouldn't want to lower them, not even a portion of them.

And my recessed lights are directly in my real ceiling.
You are correct.... the plaster egg-and-dart 5" crown molding on the 9" soffits are dated... I mean really, the design was found on a 400BC Greek temple... so yes, they are 2,400 years out of style.

I love my high ceilings too... though curtains for 9' windows sort of hurt financially (54 of them). The breakfast room has a 27' ceiling, with a 20 foot glass wall.

It is all just a matter of personal likes/dislikes. Personally, I think that cabinets that just go most of the way up the wall, and then there is a big gap above them, reminds me of the stage set of "Married with Children", and have all the associated class. Just my opinion, as we are all entitled to one.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:25 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,157,248 times
Out of all the houses I have owned this is the first one where I had space above the cabinets. I was really perplexed on what to stick up there. I left it empty but it bothered me. Then I added stuff and it bothered me. I started off with wicker baskets. Bad idea. They do get dusty and well...cleaning baskets is not exactly an easy task. I bought them for a .10 cents at the Goodwill store so it wasn't a big deal when I tossed them. So I decided whatever I stuck up there was going to be something I could wipe down. I have white dishes, a couple of hurricanes filled with fake oranges and pears, and so on. I finally mastered it to how I want it to look.

Yes, the cat is a problem. He doesnt seem to venture up there anymore since I filled the space more tightly.

Attachment 100562

Last edited by fallingwater; 03-18-2013 at 01:09 AM..

Old 09-04-2012, 05:52 AM

44 posts, read 83,430 times
Placing not only decor, but other items above kitchen cabinets will make them dusty and greasy. Another best alternative is to place decorative items on side tables and other areas of the house where they will be easily visible. I feel placing these items on kitchen cabinets will not be useful, as it will make decor full of dust.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:47 AM

584 posts, read 2,151,713 times
I dont mind the dusting part, because I would have to dust up there anyway. I just dont want the decor to be ruined from kitchen grease/film. I dont really see it anywhere else in my kitchen, but I have heard of people who get this problem. Dont really know how or why. I have a lot of space up there, and leaving it empty would look bare like no one lives there. It is all cabinets, no wall space, and then a big huge open space above all the cabinets, it just looks weird and I want to break it up a bit. Interesting comments so far.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:02 PM

41,990 posts, read 75,279,142 times
I keep my teapots displayed above the cabinets, and use them often enough that they don't get dirty. It's the best of both worlds -- storage and display.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:14 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,106,950 times
You're supposed to dust up there? Uh oh......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House