Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 11:57 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,355,817 times

Advertisements

If your toilet really is old that "black rubber thing" could be worn out and not fitting snugly. They do get damaged, especially if you have cleaning products that sit inside your toilet all the time. (Things like bleach tabs can eat away the rubber so it's not noticeable to the eye but it's still damaged.) You'll know if this losing water issue (a.k.a. toilet running all the time) returns in the near future.

If this happens, shut the water off, remove the "black rubber thing" and take it to a hardware store where they have actual customer-assisting associates. (That would be Ace Hardware, where I live.) Any decent-sized hardware store has many sizes, shapes, colors, and grades of those rubber stoppers. The associate can match the one you have removed with a new one. They are not expensive. There's usually only a dollar or two difference between good and best quality. Break the bank and get the best. Replace it and you'll be good to go for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 02:16 PM

1 posts, read 827 times
I have two bathrooms both stay running into the over flow tube. I turn off the main water valve at the floor under the toilet. The water stays in the tank no leaks I've even replaced all the parts so everytime the tank fills I have to turn off the water what is the deal pleas
e help

Old 05-28-2015, 08:12 PM

7,534 posts, read 13,695,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokarose View Post
I have two bathrooms both stay running into the over flow tube. I turn off the main water valve at the floor under the toilet. The water stays in the tank no leaks I've even replaced all the parts so everytime the tank fills I have to turn off the water what is the deal pleas
e help
ISTM you need to adjust the float valve to close sooner (at a slightly lower water level in the tank). The tank should have a marked line for the water level. Is the tank filling above that line ?

Old 05-28-2015, 08:17 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,618,860 times
Running toilets use a huge amount of water. You wouldn't think so, but they do. When I was managing an apt building, when the owner would get the water bill and it would be significantly higher, we'd check with the tenants to see who had a running toilet. That was almost always the cause.

Hope you fixed it before your water bill went out of control :-)

Old 05-29-2015, 06:37 AM

17,485 posts, read 66,276,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokarose View Post
e help
Adjust the float to the correct hgt- it should cutoff just before the water level reaches the top of the overflow tube.

Or, you can keep doing what you're doing or READ THE INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:39 PM

5,117 posts, read 6,130,982 times
The other solution for those who don't want to be bothered with 'mechanical' issues is CALL A PLUMBER
(sorry I'm cranky today just had a root canal done and the novocaine is wearing off)

Old 05-30-2015, 10:41 AM

17,667 posts, read 17,838,919 times
Adjusting the float is the simple solution. The other possibility is the fill valve is leaking by. Only solution is to replace the assembly. They're not expensive and are fairly easy to replace. Before running off to the store, check your water line to your toilet. Is it a flexible hose or rigid metal tubing? If rigid metal tubing, pick up a flexible hose for toilets. The choice for flushing valves has greatly expanded. There's even a model that saves water using a light flush (lift handle) for urine and a full flush (handle down) for solids. You can save water cheaper by simply lowering the float. Warning, lower the float too much and you'll need a double flush for solids. Don't fully open the water valve. Restricting the flow will make the refill of the tank quieter and no shower burn if flushed while someone is in the shower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House