Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2011, 06:04 PM

72 posts, read 180,485 times

Advertisements

Just drained the outdoor pool. Going to fill it up with water from the hose.

What chemicals should I put in the water? Shock? chlorine? Anything else?

I don't want to spend alot of money. At the pool stores they will try to sell me a lot of chemicals. Just what is needed to keep water clean and clear.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 09:37 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,769,409 times
While its filling, go to the pool store and pick up a test kit for the type of pool you have. Make sure the test kit has a Pool Care for Dummies style book with it. READ THE BOOK! What you put into the pool depends on many thing from free chlorine level to.ph water level. Even the type of water and the type of filtration will also play a part. The days of just dumping in chlorine and acid to balance a pool is long over. Today there are anti-phosphates that enable you to use less chlorine, and algicides that work on different problems. The biggest mistake many make is just using chlorine (tabs and shock) to try an overcome problems best handled by other products.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:44 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,676,638 times
Check around with your local pool stores. We have one where you pay 130$ per year, and that covers all of your chemicals for the year no matter what. You just take them a water sample, and they hook you up.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:06 AM

23,709 posts, read 71,038,946 times
You can pay for the chemicals now, or pay for more expensive ones later. Draining and refilling is really a last ditch measure. If it is an in-ground pool, you'll need calcium, baking soda as a buffer, acid and chlorine. Expect it to take a week or two of tweaking for the pool to stabilize - a little less if you run the pump constantly. BTDT

Old 05-07-2011, 07:32 PM

17,543 posts, read 66,657,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanLeader View Post
Just drained the outdoor pool. Going to fill it up with water from the hose.

What chemicals should I put in the water? Shock? chlorine? Anything else?

I don't want to spend alot of money. At the pool stores they will try to sell me a lot of chemicals. Just what is needed to keep water clean and clear.

Thanks in advance.

IF you're coming to C-D for answers on how to maintain and operate a pool- you don't need a pool!
What you need is a pool service.
Then, during the season this year get a manual about pool maintenance, Read it!
Then come next season you can make an educated decision on weather this is something you want to tackle year-in and year-out!
Pool maintenance isn't for everybody- from a daily maintenance standpoint to patience on chemical reactions. Clear and blue doesn't happen overnight- but an algae bloom sure can!

Old 05-08-2011, 08:54 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,230,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
IF you're coming to C-D for answers on how to maintain and operate a pool- you don't need a pool!
What you need is a pool service.
I disagree, there are many folks on here that can provide solid answers to questions and not a bad place to start.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:04 AM

23,709 posts, read 71,038,946 times
Actually, KB is smart in that advice. For a newbie to balance a pool initially, he or she will likely pay LESS having a pool service do it. Pools are fine for some people. I determined that for me they are just a hole to throw money in.

Old 05-08-2011, 01:14 PM
QIS

919 posts, read 5,178,324 times
You can do it! Just google pool start up and get some ideas...its not that difficult. Make sure you clean your filter as well before start up. Don't let your pool stand empty too long though OK?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House