Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 09:20 PM

12 posts, read 40,224 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am looking to drain our pool soon and reading up at goodyear.gov it looks like i will be pumping it out into the sewer clean-out.

I just wonder which of the two pipes to thread the hose into. I have two 4" pipes to the front of the house - see pics below. I figure the correct pipe to drain to will be 'drain1' which seems to drop much further then bends towards what i presume is the main sewer out beneath the public footpath.

Am i correct in thinking this? thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 08:14 AM

23,698 posts, read 70,922,738 times
Why would you want it going towards your house?

Old 06-07-2012, 09:04 AM

Thanks for that. I can only marvel at how valuable a contribution your 7,200 posts have been to this forum, and how your average 100 posts a month have truly been time well spent. Good job!

Old 06-07-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Don't use either!
The pump may have an output (gph) that is more than the line can handle.
The best AND easiest is to use a discharge line (the collapsible blue hose) to the street curb- allowing the water to go to a storm drain (unless strictly prohibited from doing so- pool water is usually the exception).
Thanks for the reply. Draining to the road or nearby storm drains is prohibited and local city info advises draining to the sewer clean-out (see link on original post).

You are correct the pumps GPH will too much for the 4" drain so I am renting a submersible which will go at a more acceptable speed.

I just wanted to check I had the right drain.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:14 AM

30,701 posts, read 80,221,797 times
I just hook a pump to a hose and sprinkler and water the lawn with it. I guess that is not an option?

Old 06-07-2012, 09:17 AM

No. 25,000 gallons of water would probably ruin anything I poured it on. It would be like a tsunami hit my yard.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:17 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,292,086 times
Definitely the one that goes away from the house and towards the street. Those are so they can fish a snake down the pipe in case of a clog and having one in each direction makes it easier to fish in the direction the clog is in.

If all that water was pushing toward the house it could cause it to backup in the house and come out drains in the house.

You also don't want to run 25k gallons in your yard or street as you said. It would ruin your yard and you'd get a ticket if caught running all that into the street. Your thinking is correct.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:29 AM

30,701 posts, read 80,221,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielB View Post
No. 25,000 gallons of water would probably ruin anything I poured it on. It would be like a tsunami hit my yard.
We just do it over time and spread it around. Our yard is an acre so it can take quite a bit of water. Maybe three days of sprinklering with one or two days between to let it soak in/dry out. We can also just discharge it using the pool filter pump where it runs onto the empty lot next door and then down into a ditch, but I do not like to do that. It ends up int he river and I do not know what the salt in the water might do to the river. It does not seem to hurt our lawm though.

Some places, the fire department will fill your pool for you. Maybe they will also take the water away, you might ask them.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Definitely the one that goes away from the house and towards the street. Those are so they can fish a snake down the pipe in case of a clog and having one in each direction makes it easier to fish in the direction the clog is in.

If all that water was pushing toward the house it could cause it to backup in the house and come out drains in the house.

You also don't want to run 25k gallons in your yard or street as you said. It would ruin your yard and you'd get a ticket if caught running all that into the street. Your thinking is correct.
Thanks. I suspected the drain going towards the house would be to flush out blockages under the property, but just wanted a second opinion.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We just do it over time and spread it around. Our yard is an acre so it can take quite a bit of water. Maybe three days of sprinklering with one or two days between to let it soak in/dry out. We can also just discharge it using the pool filter pump where it runs onto the empty lot next door and then down into a ditch, but I do not like to do that. It ends up int he river and I do not know what the salt in the water might do to the river. It does not seem to hurt our lawm though.

Some places, the fire department will fill your pool for you. Maybe they will also take the water away, you might ask them.
Thanks for the suggestions. I have previously backwashed into the garden to water the plants, but i think 25k gallons (even spread over a few days) could cause problems to nearby gardens/structures. Especially given the water table and dry ground in arizona, all that water could easily shift under a neighboring property. Not worth the worry for the sake of a $40 submersible pump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House