Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 10:54 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,222,276 times

Advertisements

Came home from picking up my kids at art camp this afternoon and we heard the smoke detector in their upstairs bedroom going off. Not beeping, actually going in alarm mode.

Only one in the house doing this, no warning it might be battery related, no fire, no smoke, no smell, hot day but it's been hotter and of course NO HUSBAND home, no upstairs ladder and no idea what to do/

I can't even get up the stairs myself due to recent injury but kids say can't smell anything, don't see anything.
Husband will be home around 5 from out of town. What should I do besides shoot the damn thing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 12:04 PM

30,707 posts, read 80,001,317 times
It should have a reset button on it. have the kids push it. If they cannot reach it, give them a broom.

Something is wrong. When one goes off, the entire system should alarm. At a minimum you will need to replace that detector (unless your system is not a communicating system, in which case, you may want to consider replacing all of them.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:08 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,569,330 times
Get a piece of cardboard and fan it. Hopefully it will go off. If so, double check for smoke. If not or if it goes back on, call the fire department. Have them check for smoke and to examine the detector.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:43 PM

23,645 posts, read 70,627,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
It should have a reset button on it. have the kids push it. If they cannot reach it, give them a broom.

Something is wrong. When one goes off, the entire system should alarm. At a minimum you will need to replace that detector (unless your system is not a communicating system, in which case, you may want to consider replacing all of them.
I agree. Pinata time.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:39 PM

37,217 posts, read 41,436,689 times
When mine have done this in the past simply removing the cover and cleaning out the dust and cobwebs has fixed the problem. I now just routinely clean them when I dust.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:28 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,222,276 times
Thanks all for the suggestions.

I eventually called the non emergency fire department number. It was driving us crazy- even with ear plugs- for about 1.5 hour and stopped only 10 minutes before fire department showed up. In the mean time I got my husband on the phone who tried to tell me it was not a function of the battery but was "hooked up" to our electrical system. Fireman changed 9 volt battery and said all our detectors had backup batteries, whatever that means. I'm insisting my hubby change the batteries throughout the whole house like the fireman suggested.

I'm so truly thankful this did not happen in the middle of the night as my little daughters would have freaked. I hope this is my only interaction with the fire department. They were so kind and even really good looking but just seeing a firetruck in front of my house made me a nervous as heck.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:12 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,511,354 times
Ours upstairs did this sometimes back. We changed the battery and everything and it turned out the one in basement has bad battery! So yes change the 9V back up batteries in all.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:34 AM

30,707 posts, read 80,001,317 times
Wow. I want my firedepartment to come and change the batteries. Do they do flashlights too?

Seriously, you have a nice fire department, or at least one nice fireman. Of course most firemen are nice, but not many are allowed to spend time changing a battery.

THey make ten year batteries for those. They are expensive, but changing them cna be a hassle, so putting it off for ten years is nice.

However it appears your system is not communicating. Normally when one goes off, they are all supposed to go off together. Either something is wrong with that one, or your system is old and does nto have communication. You may want to replace that one or upgrade the whole system. THen, it will be really annoying when a bettery goes dead.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:17 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,976,044 times
In my experience when a smoke detector battery goes bad, the unit chirps - it doesn't go off for an hour plus. But then, if changing the battery fixed the problem ...

On the other hand, a new smoke detector unit is about ten bucks. Buy the same brand/type and it's a 30-second installation job. Whenever I've had one that is flaking out on me, I've replaced the whole unit - especially when they are in a hard to reach location. The 10-year lithium batteries are great too - seems like the last one I bought was about 5-6 dollars.

I have heard that one should replace smoke detectors every ten years - I've never done that, and I don't know if that's good advice or just something put out by the same Madison Avenue folks who tell me to change my oil every block and a half.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:03 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,912,316 times
When I change batteries, I write the date on the battery with a felt market pen, and make sure to change them yearly.
Pick a time you can remember, such as when day lite saving time changes or your birthday, etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House