Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 10:12 AM

458 posts, read 2,291,464 times

Advertisements

As I search the internet for properties in Kentucky in and around Lexington, I keep being drawn to charming houses made of stone and/or brick that are older homes. Are these generally hard to maintain? What are the red flags to look for with these kinds of homes? Also, what about log cabins (which I haven't really seen in my modest price range.) Are those a headache? I'm interested in something with character and charm and the newer developments are a bit dull to me, but we are not the handiest family in the world and don't want a money pit.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 11:21 AM

629 posts, read 3,600,222 times
If you take out a mortgage to purchase your new home, mosy mort. companies charge higher rates on log homes or will not fund them at all!

FYI

Old 09-27-2007, 11:23 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,193,251 times
I think a brick exterior is one of the best exteriors available. Brick will have a life of 100 or more years when maintained properly. Just make sure it's a proper brick siding and not brick veneer; the same goes for stone. I think a good home inspector will be able to tell you the condition of the brick and also make maintenance recommendations. Brick usually doesn't need to be replaced, just re-pointed, but at that point I think we're talking about 100+ year old brick.

Brick isn't often used in typical new home construction because of the up front costs associated. With that said, it's common for newly constructed upscale homes in my area to have brick siding. If cost was an issue I'd be tempted to downgrade another construction material rather than downgrade from brick.

I have a 30 year old wood moulded brick house and the brick and it's mortar is in great shape:

http://www.pecorfamily.com/Blog_202007_2D03_2D22_20Boones_20Mill_20House.jpg (broken link)

The brick patios and walks are all 30 years old too and are in good shape.

Note my wood siding. In 30 years the wood siding has been painted about three times and alot of window molding is being replaced this winter. I'm debating on whether or not to just have all wood siding scrapped and re-done with concrete boards, just so I won't have to repaint again ($$$$) in 5 years.

Sean

Old 09-27-2007, 11:29 AM

781 posts, read 3,818,156 times
What a pretty house!!! We too have a brick house although not that old. One thing to look for are cracks.....not minor ones but ones that may run on the vertical, could indicate settling or foundations issues.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:15 PM

Default Thanks, all.

Wow--gorgeous brick home. I love that look.

Thanks all for the tips on what to look for.

I didn't know that log homes were hard to finance--why is that?

Old 09-27-2007, 12:29 PM

629 posts, read 3,600,222 times
Our home is 107 years old and sits on a brick basement and the front porch roof is supported by columns that sit on brick piers............the previous owner painted all the brick white in 1996..........I just bought a preassure washer and will start removing the paint this weekend. I am anxious to see what it will look like!

Old 09-27-2007, 01:00 PM

781 posts, read 3,818,156 times
What a shame that they painted the brick white.....a big job for you but it should be lovely when it is done.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:11 PM

5,169 posts, read 11,445,614 times
I love brick houses. I would think that even though it is a more expensive material, if you are going to stay in a house, it might pay for itself, because it lasts so long without upkeep?

Old 09-29-2007, 11:15 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,479,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah Girl View Post
As I search the internet for properties in Kentucky in and around Lexington, I keep being drawn to charming houses made of stone and/or brick that are older homes. Are these generally hard to maintain? What are the red flags to look for with these kinds of homes? Also, what about log cabins (which I haven't really seen in my modest price range.) Are those a headache? I'm interested in something with character and charm and the newer developments are a bit dull to me, but we are not the handiest family in the world and don't want a money pit.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
BRICK: Oh how I love brick......I can't get enough of it ! I'm living in a stucco house now but it looks like I'll be moving shortly....going back to brick . If it were up to me, I'd have not only my whole exterior in brick, but my whole INTERIOR too ! Brick is easy to maintain, you generally do nothing. Here are some tips:

*Don't drill holes into it if at all possible

*Don't grow anything on it (flowering vines,etc.) no matter how pretty .

*Give it room for circulation - don't grown hedges right up against it.

*Don't allow "splashback" from the rain coming off the roof - make sure the land is graded properly around the base of the house so the water isn't "splashing" back up against the brick.

*The mortar will need repointing every 50 years or so.

*Expect to pay more for a brick house - there is a premium on this type of exterior.

LOG CABINS: I have not lived in one, though I am attracted to them. You want to keep in mind that they can be more difficult to get loans for and more difficult to insure.....personally, I'd avoid them as a primary home. Also, here in Florida we'd be concerned with termite damage (hence, the are not a popular building choice in Florida) .

STONE: Gorgeous, much like brick, and expect to pay a premium here too.

Old 09-30-2007, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
BRICK: Oh how I love brick......I can't get enough of it ! I'm living in a stucco house now but it looks like I'll be moving shortly....going back to brick . If it were up to me, I'd have not only my whole exterior in brick, but my whole INTERIOR too ! Brick is easy to maintain, you generally do nothing. Here are some tips:

*Don't drill holes into it if at all possible

*Don't grow anything on it (flowering vines,etc.) no matter how pretty .

*Give it room for circulation - don't grown hedges right up against it.

*Don't allow "splashback" from the rain coming off the roof - make sure the land is graded properly around the base of the house so the water isn't "splashing" back up against the brick.

*The mortar will need repointing every 50 years or so.

*Expect to pay more for a brick house - there is a premium on this type of exterior.

LOG CABINS: I have not lived in one, though I am attracted to them. You want to keep in mind that they can be more difficult to get loans for and more difficult to insure.....personally, I'd avoid them as a primary home. Also, here in Florida we'd be concerned with termite damage (hence, the are not a popular building choice in Florida) .

STONE: Gorgeous, much like brick, and expect to pay a premium here too.
Thanks for the practical tips on brick, especially about letting it "breathe". That's good to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House