Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2023, 12:41 PM

330 posts, read 265,574 times

Advertisements

I have a steel gate and was thinking of using brick columns, but don't want to go that route because my house isn't brick. But at the same time, I don't want to use just plain generic steel posts. Does anyone know of a website that sells decorative posts?

Last edited by blue777; 01-11-2023 at 01:06 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2023, 12:47 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,075,900 times
Google is your friend.

But for the sake of discussion, there are countless "styles" of gate columns. You likely need more than "posts" as gates are heavy and need to carry a lot of extended weight. Telling us a little more about your house style, yard, urban, rural, ranch, townhouse, etc would give people some idea of what might work. Pictures would be even better.

Go to "Houzz" and enter gate columns or something similar https://www.houzz.com/photos/query/d...y-gate-columns and i am sure you will find hours of interesting styles.

Old 01-11-2023, 01:01 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,770,556 times
Traditionally, gateposts (and associated structural elements) had sufficient mass to counter the various thrusts/stresses/tensions transferred to them by the gates.

Today, of course, steel, inserted deeply-enough into the ground, should do the job. The thrusts/stresses/tensions are transferred to, and countered by, the soil. But it looks wrong. As 'The Oracle' (an ultradesigner who works with my Decorator) has schooled us, "It's all about Structural Plausibility".

Here's a traditional solution: https://www.haddonstone.com/en-us/bu...gs/gate-piers/

And that look can be expressed in wood ( https://walpoleoutdoors.com/blogs/dr...mpression-home), as was done in Colonial Connecticut. The town adjacent our beach house, is one big gallery of ideas for gates. Just google, 'Southampton, New York', and, via the internet, "Drive" around.

The wood for the gateposts, can be painted to match your fence's ironwork, or the trim on your house.

Old 01-11-2023, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Google is your friend.

But for the sake of discussion, there are countless "styles" of gate columns. You likely need more than "posts" as gates are heavy and need to carry a lot of extended weight. Telling us a little more about your house style, yard, urban, rural, ranch, townhouse, etc would give people some idea of what might work. Pictures would be even better.

Go to "Houzz" and enter gate columns or something similar https://www.houzz.com/photos/query/d...y-gate-columns and i am sure you will find hours of interesting styles.
Sorry, I added a photo.

Old 01-11-2023, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Traditionally, gateposts (and associated structural elements) had sufficient mass to counter the various thrusts/stresses/tensions transferred to them by the gates.

Today, of course, steel, inserted deeply-enough into the ground, should do the job. The thrusts/stresses/tensions are transferred to, and countered by, the soil. But it looks wrong. As 'The Oracle' (an ultradesigner who works with my Decorator) has schooled us, "It's all about Structural Plausibility".

Here's a traditional solution: https://www.haddonstone.com/en-us/bu...gs/gate-piers/

And that look can be expressed in wood ( https://walpoleoutdoors.com/blogs/dr...mpression-home), as was done in Colonial Connecticut. The town adjacent our beach house, is one big gallery of ideas for gates. Just google, 'Southampton, New York', and, via the internet, "Drive" around.

The wood for the gateposts, can be painted to match your fence's ironwork, or the trim on your house.
Thank you! I will look in to this.

Old 01-11-2023, 02:05 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Ya know, you could have just picked up your past thread-

https://www.city-data.com/forum/hous...ht-iron-2.html

Would probably have made everything “come together”-
You, yourself, said steel posts. They don’t have to be round- could be square. What will make them is making them “non-descript”- no fancy ornamentation, no elaborate finial cap- let the gate be the attention grabber.

Old 01-11-2023, 04:39 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,173,683 times
Not looking for anything fancy......6"x6" pressure treated posts will work just fine.

Old 01-12-2023, 07:05 AM

4,534 posts, read 2,669,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
Not looking for anything fancy......6"x6" pressure treated posts will work just fine.
Not unless the gate is of the very lightest possible construction. They'll warp under the weight of the gate. I assume from the photo that the OP wants to use the kind of gate typically seen at such a location: swung at one side, somewhat ornamental, electric opener. Even a steel heavy gauge post set deep in concrete will gradually assume a lean toward the gate; the gate will sag and eventually drag on the driveway. You either need to brace it with a member in tension running away from the gatepost (of course, if you have a complete fence, a fairly simple diagonal brace does this), or you need to attach the tops of the two posts up above the driveway (it has to be tall enough to pass a moving van, and/or easily removable).

"Brick" posts would simply be a brick surround on a structural post made of steel (or reinforced concrete).

Old 01-12-2023, 07:27 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,090,275 times
Is the house white brick? if so white brick columns. Or white concrete pillers with wing walls sloping down to the ground to help transfer the horizontal load of the gate hanging from it. What will the rest of the fence be? You aren't just putting a gate up without a fence are you?

Old 01-12-2023, 12:41 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Is the house white brick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue777 View Post
...my house isn't brick.
Guess there's no accounting for reading!
RIF
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House